Sep 5, 2015
✟10,829.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't understand the difference between the Orthodox and Catholic teachings of Original sin.

Catholics don't believe original sin = personal guilt. Rather its the loss of sanctifying grace resulting in concupiscence and death (and other effects). This is the stain of original sin.

From what i understand Orthodox also believe we lost grace and now have disordered passions and die.

So what.is the difference?

I heard that Orthodox believe sin is the result of physical death. Is that a difference? Do you also believe the inclination to sin is in us and not just in our environment?

I've read quotes by eastern Church Fathers who really seem to describe original sin.

So what is the issue here?

Thank you!

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I do not read the Genesis myth as a fall from an original state of perfection into sin and death. The first couple were completely innocent and naive creatures. They were certainly capable of making a mistake but, without knowing good from evil, they lacked even the ability to sin. That ability came only with them eating of the "Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil". To me the story is a "coming of age story". Our mythical first couple graduated from animal status into to fully self aware human beings capable of making moral judgements.

This is not an Original Sin story but rather an Original Blessing story that should be celebrated. We are not a people fallen from an original state of perfection into sin and death. What we are is a people that is still evolving. We are no longer "just animals" but something more.

Why the expulsion from Eden? In the mythology, I believe it to be symbolic that mankind was no longer a naïve creature living in moral ignorance but had become real men and women living in a real world where there was real good and evil.

In the words of John Spong: "Every living thing, plant and animal is programmed to survive. What is true of all these living things is also true of human life. The only difference is that we human beings are self-conscious, while plants and animals are not. If survival is our highest goal, self-centeredness is inevitable and thus this quality becomes a constant part of the human experience. Traditionally, the church has called this "original sin" and has explained it with the myth of the fall. That was simply wrong. Survival is a quality found in life itself. There was no fall. Self-centered, survival driven, self-conscious creatures is simply who we are. There is thus no such thing as "original sin" from which we need to be rescued by a divine invader. So much of traditional Christianity assumes this false premise."

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand the difference between the Orthodox and Catholic teachings of Original sin.

Catholics don't believe original sin = personal guilt. Rather its the loss of sanctifying grace resulting in concupiscence and death (and other effects). This is the stain of original sin.

From what i understand Orthodox also believe we lost grace and now have disordered passions and die.

I heard that Orthodox believe sin is the result of physical death. Is that a difference? Do you also believe the inclination to sin is in us and not just in our environment?

I've read quotes by eastern Church Fathers who really seem to describe original sin.

Thank you!

the original sin of Adam and Eve caused all of mankind to be enslaved to sin, death, and the devil, and we inherited corruption and and inclination to sin. that for us, is the original (more commonly ancestral or primordial sin in Orthodoxy).

the problem is Rome in her Councils does teach we are guilty of the sin of Adam according to Trent.

Upvote 0

Maryslittleflower

Fiat Voluntas Tua
Sep 5, 2015
✟10,829.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I do not read the Genesis myth as a fall from an original state of perfection into sin and death. The first couple were completely innocent and naive creatures. They were certainly capable of making a mistake but, without knowing good from evil, they lacked even the ability to sin. That ability came only with them eating of the "Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil". To me the story is a "coming of age story". Our mythical first couple graduated from animal status into to fully self aware human beings capable of making moral judgements.

This is not an Original Sin story but rather an Original Blessing story that should be celebrated. We are not a people fallen from an original state of perfection into sin and death. What we are is a people that is still evolving. We are no longer "just animals" but something more.

Why the expulsion from Eden? In the mythology, I believe it to be symbolic that mankind was no longer a naïve creature living in moral ignorance but had become real men and women living in a real world where there was real good and evil.

In the words of John Spong: "Every living thing, plant and animal is programmed to survive. What is true of all these living things is also true of human life. The only difference is that we human beings are self-conscious, while plants and animals are not. If survival is our highest goal, self-centeredness is inevitable and thus this quality becomes a constant part of the human experience. Traditionally, the church has called this "original sin" and has explained it with the myth of the fall. That was simply wrong. Survival is a quality found in life itself. There was no fall. Self-centered, survival driven, self-conscious creatures is simply who we are. There is thus no such thing as "original sin" from which we need to be rescued by a divine invader. So much of traditional Christianity assumes this false premise."

It is not a myth, and Adam and Eve were not like animals but had free will and responsible for their choices from the start. Also the point of this thread is to compare the teachings of Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy, your view differs from both and from all of the early Church. The way you call original sin a blessing by saying it gave them free will, is very incorrect. They were truly free, then they became slaves to sin with a weakened will. We retain our free will but need grace to choose God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maryslittleflower

Fiat Voluntas Tua
Sep 5, 2015
✟10,829.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
the original sin of Adam and Eve caused all of mankind to be enslaved to sin, death, and the devil, and we inherited corruption and and inclination to sin. that for us, is the original (more commonly ancestral or primordial sin in Orthodoxy).

the problem is Rome in her Councils does teach we are guilty of the sin of Adam according to Trent.

With the first part, we all agree

The Catholic Church does not teach that there is personal guilt for original sin in us or that it is voluntary in the direct sense of the word. It's in another sense and I found this link explaining it in detail towards the end:
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Original Sin

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

The Catholic Church does not teach that there is personal guilt for original sin in us or that it is voluntary in the direct sense of the word. It's in another sense and I found this link explaining it in detail towards the end:

but Roman Councils do teach it, and that cannot be ignored.

Upvote 0

Maryslittleflower

Fiat Voluntas Tua
Sep 5, 2015
✟10,829.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
but Roman Councils do teach it, and that cannot be ignored.
All the Catholic sources I've consulted say otherwise - the link above gives the correct and traditional explanation of the wording of the Councils

In my catechism class it was also taught very clearly that we are not personally guilty for original sin because there are two distinctions of sin, original and personal. This is why they also said souls in Limbo don't experience any suffering.

"Although it is proper to each individual original sin does not have the character of a personal fault in any of Adam's descendants." CCC - 405

When guilt or voluntary sin is mentioned in connection with original sin it's with another less direct meaning as given by Catholic Encyclopedia above..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Thank you!
There is no difference between the Catholic or Orthodox doctrine of original sin, nor the Protestant version for that matter. You believe it or you don't.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
All the Catholic sources I've consulted say otherwise - the link above gives the correct and traditional explanation of the wording of the Councils

In my catechism class it was also taught very clearly that we are not personally guilty for original sin because there are two distinctions of sin, original and personal. This is why they also said souls in Limbo don't experience any suffering.

"Although it is proper to each individual original sin does not have the character of a personal fault in any of Adam's descendants." CCC - 405

When guilt or voluntary sin is mentioned in connection with original sin it's with another less direct meaning as given by Catholic Encyclopedia above..

doesn't matter because the Councils are clear if you don't believe that guilt is inherited you are anathema. if Rome teaches something different now, that's a different issue.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is no difference between the Catholic or Orthodox doctrine of original sin, nor the Protestant version for that matter. You believe it or you don't.

actually, that is not correct

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In a thread a few years ago in TAW re original sin, I posted an e-mail reply our parish priest gave to me on the Augustinian doctrine of original sin. He was a former RCC priest whose early adult life was pre Vatican II. St. Augustine made an honest but, regrettably, costly mistake. Here is the link:

explain "original sin?"

My cut & paste skills on an iPhone are faulty.

Upvote 0

Maryslittleflower

Fiat Voluntas Tua
Sep 5, 2015
✟10,829.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
doesn't matter because the Councils are clear if you don't believe that guilt is inherited you are anathema. if Rome teaches something different now, that's a different issue.

I am not saying anything different from the Councils I think. The teaching hasn't changed. I'm trying to explain in this context of original sin what guilt means and it never meant personal guilt. I provided a source explaining what the Councils meant

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am not saying anything different from the Councils I think. The teaching hasn't changed. I'm trying to explain in this context of original sin what guilt means and it never meant personal guilt. I provided a source explaining what the Councils meant

except those Councils say everyone is guilty of Adam's sin. in fact, denying that we are personally guilty of Adam's sin was one of the things that Hus was anathematized for at Constance.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
From the 1891 Baltimore catechism p.105 question no. 256

Q. What evil befell us on account of the disobedience of our first parents?

A. On account of the disobedience of our first parents WE ALL SHARE in their sin and punishment, as we should have shared in their happiness if they had remained faithful.

further on:

Q.265. What is the sin called which we inherit from our first parents?

A. The sin which we inherit from our first parents is original sin.

Q. 266. Why is the sin called original?

A. The sin is called original because it comes down to us from our first parents, and we are brought into the world with its guilt on our soul.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

The CCC talks about sin being transmitted. It doesn't say personal guilt - but it does talk about us having the guilt of original sin from Adam's transgression. It does say we "contracted" that sin by propagation. The Council of Trent is even more explicit. We disagree with this. We don't receive guilt from original sin. We aren't automatically in a state of sin. Corruption, disease, death, yes, but not guilt.

Paul III Council of Trent-5

Catechism of the Catholic Church - The Fall

From the council of Trent:

2. If anyone asserts...that the holiness and justice which [Adam] received from God, which he lost, he lost for himself alone and not for us also; or that he, being defiled by the sin of disobedience, has transfused only death and the pains of the body into the whole human race, but not sin also, which is the death of the soul, let him be anathema...

5. If anyone denies that by the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ which is conferred in baptism, the guilt of original sin is remitted, or says that the whole of that which belongs to the essence of sin is not taken away, but says that it is only canceled or not imputed, let him be anathema.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maryslittleflower

Fiat Voluntas Tua
Sep 5, 2015
✟10,829.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
In a thread a few years ago in TAW re original sin, I posted an e-mail reply our parish priest gave to me on the Augustinian doctrine of original sin. He was a former RCC priest whose early adult life was pre Vatican II. St. Augustine made an honest but, regrettably, costly mistake. Here is the link:

explain "original sin?"

My cut & paste skills on an iPhone are faulty.
What do you think of this quote from St Augustine? To the Pelagians

"It is not I who have invented original sin, which the Catholic Faith holds from of old, but thou, who deniest it, thou art without doubt a new heretic"

“Let the word of Christ persuade you of this, also, as He says that no one can enter into the kingdom of heaven unless he is born again of water and the Spirit. Through Him the stains of the first birth are cleansed away, through which we are conceived in iniquity and in sins have our mothers brought us forth.” (Oratio in natalem Christi.) St. Gregory Nazianzen

St. Cyprian - “[A]n infant...being lately born, has not sinned, except in that, being born after the flesh according to Adam, he has contracted the contagion of the ancient death at its earliest birth. [He] approaches the more easily on this very account to the [baptism] of the forgiveness of sins—[for] to him are remitted, not his own sins, but the sins of another.” (Letter 58, To Fidus)

St . Jerome - “Those of adult age [do penance], and it reaches to the smallest, for none is without sin, not even if their life were only one day, or the years of their life were able to be counted.”
(Commentary on Jonah 3:5, Duval 248.101-103; trans. Hegedus, 50).

St. Ambrose of Milan - “Before we are born we are stained by contagion, and before seeing the light we receive the injury of our very origin, we are conceived in iniquity…[for] there are already some sins in the one being born... The conception is not without iniquity, since the parents are not without sin, and if not even a child of one day is without sin, so much more are those days of the maternal conception not without sin. Thus, we are conceived in the sin of our parents and are born in their iniquities. But birth itself also has its own contagions, and the nature itself has not merely one contagion.” (Defense of the Prophet David 11)

From Orthodox Wiki:

"St. Gregory Palamas taught that man’s image was tarnished, disfigured, as a consequence of Adam’s disobedience.

It isn’t only that we are born in death, or in a state of distance from God, but also that we are born with disordered passion within us."

This is what the Latina call the stain of original sin. The explanation of the guilt is in the link above from Catholic Encyclopedia

Catholics also do not teach that our nature changed in essence or is no longer fundamentally good. This was explained to me in Catechism by a very knowledgeable priest. We don't teach total depravity. Our nature is weakened with concupiscence but is still good in itself. The guilt of original sin is not a personal sin guilt and any description of it being voluntary is not in the direct sense.

For these reasons I don't understand what the difference is, with the Orthodox view... except perhaps if the Orthodox see as sin only coming from environment, but I'm not sure what the Orthodox view is because you also agree there are disordered passions

I also came across information that the idea of the Immaculate Conception started in the East: Was Mary born without sin? (Immaculate Conception)

When we say that Our Lord had human nature as Adam before the fall we mean He didn't have concupiscence... It seems the Orthodox believe that we are not fully separated from grace after the fall, I've never read anything from Catholic sources on this topic but I know we always have access to actual graces. But we also have concupiscence which is what makes it so hard. So though our nature is still essentially good it is so weakened that we have a real hard time not sunning in fact without a special grace given we can't avoid venial sin... We believe Our Lady had this special grace. Without it it's not like our nature is corrupted but we can't fully avoid all sin.

Having original sin and a gnomic will is the same thing for a Catholic...

I'm beginning to wonder what is the difference here. I know many Orthodox claim we believe original sin is a personal guilt. But from everything I was taught that was not the meaning of Trent, as in traditional Catholic theology there is more than one type of guilt..

Upvote 0