Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Is the personality of a person cultured or born with?

From examples of identical twins, I tend to think it is something we born to have. If so, what is the origin of it? It should not be (or is more than) a biological inheritance (controlled by some DNAs. Do identical twins have identical DNA?).

I wonder what have we known about it through science.

granpa

Noahide/Rationalist
Apr 23, 2007
California
✟3,072.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator

The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) assessment is a psychometric questionnaire designed to measure psychological preferences in how people perceive the world and make decisions.[1]:1 These preferences were extrapolated from the typological theories proposed by Carl Gustav Jung and first published in his 1921 book Psychological Types

Extraversion (E) – (I) Introversion
Sensing (S) – (N) Intuition
Thinking (T) – (F) Feeling
Judging (J) – (P) Perception

http://www.mypersonality.info/

http://similarminds.com/personality_tests.html
see the section Jung Tests I-E S-N F-T J-P

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟341,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is the personality of a person cultured or born with?
Yes.

Personality is clearly a product both of genetics and of one's experiences.

From examples of identical twins, I tend to think it is something we born to have. If so, what is the origin of it? It should not be (or is more than) a biological inheritance (controlled by some DNAs. Do identical twins have identical DNA?).
Identical twins have identical DNA, except for a small number of new mutations in each of them. This is why they appear so similar, both physically and in personality. Of course, most identical twins are also raised together, so they tend to have similar (but not identical) environments. But even twins who have been raised apart have very similar personalities.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator

The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) assessment is a psychometric questionnaire designed to measure psychological preferences in how people perceive the world and make decisions.[1]:1 These preferences were extrapolated from the typological theories proposed by Carl Gustav Jung and first published in his 1921 book Psychological Types

Extraversion (E) – (I) Introversion
Sensing (S) – (N) Intuition
Thinking (T) – (F) Feeling
Judging (J) – (P) Perception

Personality Tests and Type Profiles

SimilarMinds.com > Personality Tests
see the section Jung Tests I-E S-N F-T J-P

Guess what? I am a very strong (>90% in each) INTJ.
I wonder why am I that type?

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes.

Personality is clearly a product both of genetics and of one's experiences.

Identical twins have identical DNA, except for a small number of new mutations in each of them. This is why they appear so similar, both physically and in personality. Of course, most identical twins are also raised together, so they tend to have similar (but not identical) environments. But even twins who have been raised apart have very similar personalities.

I guess there are also cases that identical twins have very contrasted personality. Is that true?

A side question: if identical twins have the same DNA, then would the DNA identification become invalid to them? Or are you saying that they have identical DNA at the beginning and become different as they aged?

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
If you have a hypothesis, please let me know.
I think both nature and nurture play a part.

I think some parts of our personality are innate. Each of my children's personalities were unique as soon as they could be observed.

But I'm also certain that we, as parents, can have remarkable effects on our children. We can instill truthfulness, confidence, generosity, and patience in them by example and training. So I know we can mold them. I can look back over the years (my children are grown) and see lasting effects of both my wisdom and my foolishness.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think both nature and nurture play a part.

I think some parts of our personality are innate. Each of my children's personalities were unique as soon as they could be observed.

But I'm also certain that we, as parents, can have remarkable effects on our children. We can instill truthfulness, confidence, generosity, and patience in them by example and training. So I know we can mold them. I can look back over the years (my children are grown) and see lasting effects of both my wisdom and my foolishness.

Agree.

The problem is the origin of the innate part of personality.

May be it can be correlated to the DNA characters of a person. But that is only a correlation, not an origin.

Also, the cultured part is significant. That means our personality at the time of death is different from that at the time of birth. Whatever the origin of a personality is, it is modified during the life on the earth. If the modified personality is extended into the Heaven, then the pool of personality in the Heaven is refreshed.

You can see that I implied that the innate part of our personality derived from the Heaven. In fact, this is a worldwide common idea and is not restricted to any particular religion.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Personality is constructed from belief, perspective and experience. Part of it is passed on through the potentiation of our seed and becomes instinct; part of it is developed through managing day to day life. It is the difference between doing and not doing something in certain contexts and comes to be accentuated or diminished by the fruit of those actions. In the afterlife, personality becomes the guiding principle for what we enjoy about Heaven or what we hate about Hell.

Without personality we would evolve into something completely other than what we are. It is how we access our memories, define our thoughts, characterize our words, heighten our perceptions. It is in other words, the key to our whole being. It anchors our hopes and our dreams, gives us vision and gives us insight.

Personality is the truth about ourselves that does not change. We find it when we sleep, when we awake, when we work and when we are tired again. It is the preference we have for certain foods, certain places, certain people, certain modes of transport. It is the path we take through life, the highs, the lows, the indifferent moments we don't know what to do with.

Every phase of your personality is given to you at birth, every angle of your personality is defined by you as a consequence of the body you inherit. You can change how you look at its seed, you can change how you interpret its outgrowth, you can change how you focus on different aspects of it at different phases, but you can't change it for something that has nothing to do with what it was. You are bound by how you encounter it, how you react to it, how you support it, how you extend it.

Thinking you can waste it, thinking you can exchange it, thinking you can pervert it, thinking you can undevelop it, all of these things are unfaithful examples of not using a talent for that which it was intended. It is God's intention that you develop your personality, that you invest it, that you convert it, that you add to it. Your ability to alter what you see as having potential through belief, perspective and experience is what will shape it, what will cause it to serve the purposes God has intended.

Fundamentally, it is mysterious. It has worked where no one expected it to, it has changed where no one thought it would change, it has added to where no one thought there would be an addition, it has developed where no one thought anything would develop. It is to be expected before it makes sense to expect it, it is to be remembered, when there seems to be no reason to remember it, it fills our sense of purpose when our sense of purpose is beyond us, it brings us back to earth, when it seems like we will be forever high on life.

Thank you for the opportunity to think about this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Personality is constructed from belief, perspective and experience. Part of it is passed on through the potentiation of our seed and becomes instinct; part of it is developed through managing day to day life. It is the difference between doing and not doing something in certain contexts and comes to be accentuated or diminished by the fruit of those actions. In the afterlife, personality becomes the guiding principle for what we enjoy about Heaven or what we hate about Hell.

Without personality we would evolve into something completely other than what we are. It is how we access our memories, define our thoughts, characterize our words, heighten our perceptions. It is in other words, the key to our whole being. It anchors our hopes and our dreams, gives us vision and gives us insight.

Personality is the truth about ourselves that does not change. We find it when we sleep, when we awake, when we work and when we are tired again. It is the preference we have for certain foods, certain places, certain people, certain modes of transport. It is the path we take through life, the highs, the lows, the indifferent moments we don't know what to do with.

Every phase of your personality is given to you at birth, every angle of your personality is defined by you as a consequence of the body you inherit. You can change how you look at its seed, you can change how you interpret its outgrowth, you can change how you focus on different aspects of it at different phases, but you can't change it for something that has nothing to do with what it was. You are bound by how you encounter it, how you react to it, how you support it, how you extend it.

Thinking you can waste it, thinking you can exchange it, thinking you can pervert it, thinking you can undevelop it, all of these things are unfaithful examples of not using a talent for that which it was intended. It is God's intention that you develop your personality, that you invest it, that you convert it, that you add to it. Your ability to alter what you see as having potential through belief, perspective and experience is what will shape it, what will cause it to serve the purposes God has intended.

Fundamentally, it is mysterious. It has worked where no one expected it to, it has changed where no one thought it would change, it has added to where no one thought there would be an addition, it has developed where no one thought anything would develop. It is to be expected before it makes sense to expect it, it is to be remembered, when there seems to be no reason to remember it, it fills our sense of purpose when our sense of purpose is beyond us, it brings us back to earth, when it seems like we will be forever high on life.

Thank you for the opportunity to think about this.

Thank you very much for this nice elaboration. Very good.

However, what you said only enhanced the question.

There are good examples about the inheritance of personality. Son or daughter is like mother or father in personality. I do not know what to say about this fact. But the problem is that exception is as common as the rule. And it is also common that child has a mixed personality from parents. This seems suggest that DNA controls personality. However, as I suggested, this should only be a feature of correlation, rather than an explanation of origin.

May be a question which should be asked is: HOW does DNA affect or shape the personality of a person? Assume a certain DNA controls the happiness of a person. So would the particular DNA of a pessimistic person be different from that of an optimistic person?

Well, it might not be a good question. It does not address the problem of origin.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟341,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In addition to that, I am really curious in learning that the majority of our genes seems have no specific function. I know nothing about gene, but that should be one of the most ridiculous suggestion I ever heard.
Where did you get that idea? We don't know what many genes, but they have some function or they wouldn't stick around. What we do have strong reason to believe is that most of our DNA doesn't have a specific function. (Only a tiny fraction of our DNA lies in genes.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Where did you get that idea? We don't know what many genes, but they have some function or they wouldn't stick around. What we do have strong reason to believe is that most of our DNA doesn't have a specific function. (Only a tiny fraction of our DNA lies in genes.)

Sorry, that is what I heard.
What is the reason for that? Why don't those useless (?) DNA go away?
More critically, how do we know they do not serve a function? We poke on one and it does nothing. This does not mean it has no function.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟341,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is the reason for that? Why don't those useless (?) DNA go away?
Why would it go away? Sure, it will be removed eventually by random deletions, but more keeps arriving too. As for why it's there, it's mostly made up of copies (mostly inactive) of transposons: pieces of genome that can copy themselves into new locations in the genome. The human genome, for example, has over 1 million copies of the Alu element, a transposon that is ultimately derived from a gene.

More critically, how do we know they do not serve a function? We poke on one and it does nothing. This does not mean it has no function.
We can tell they have no function by looking at how mutations behave in them. If mutations are almost never seen in them, or only at low frequencies, we conclude that natural selection is suppression deleterious mutations to the sequence. On the other hand, if mutations accumulate freely, then there's no advantage to one version of the sequence, and the specific sequence has no function.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
We can tell they have no function by looking at how mutations behave in them. If mutations are almost never seen in them, or only at low frequencies, we conclude that natural selection is suppression deleterious mutations to the sequence. On the other hand, if mutations accumulate freely, then there's no advantage to one version of the sequence, and the specific sequence has no function.

So, those with known function resisted change, but those "functionless" ones keep changing, Right?

If so, how fast is the rate of mutation on those functionless ones?

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Why would it go away? Sure, it will be removed eventually by random deletions, but more keeps arriving too. As for why it's there, it's mostly made up of copies (mostly inactive) of transposons: pieces of genome that can copy themselves into new locations in the genome. The human genome, for example, has over 1 million copies of the Alu element, a transposon that is ultimately derived from a gene.

Are you suggesting a dynamic balance on the quantity of those functionless genes? Could the total amount of genes increase or decrease or fluctuate with time?

How many genes a human has? How about a dog?

Upvote 0