Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Considering I've read my fair share of Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic prophecies, I'm curious as to what the scene in terms of Eschatological Prophecies / Signs of the End Times, and how this is viewed for the Oriental Orthodox in terms of history. Are there those who hold to the end of the world approaching soon? Have there been any significant prophecies? What do you guys think?

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hi. This is not a topic or area that I personally have studied much about, so I cannot offer anything definitive, but in searching for general information on Coptic Orthodox eschatology, I found this short handout (opens as a PDF) from a lecture series given by HG Bishop Youssef of the Southern United States on the second coming and the events that precede it. It may help you. It is apparently based on some writing by Fr. Shenouda Maher, who is the priest of the monastery of St. Shenouda the Archimandrite in upstate NY and the affiliated churches of the Rochester diocese, and quite respected in Coptic circles as a researcher and historian, having contributed to academic sources (like the eight-volume Coptic Encyclopedia edited by the father of modern Coptology, Aziz S. Attiya, and published in 1991, after Atiya's passing; this is the standard academic reference work on all things Coptic, and is maintained in electronic form now by the Claremont Colleges Digital Library; there may be something in it on Coptic eschatology and/or prophecies, if you want to check it out) on the Church and its history since the 1970s. I have met both of these men in person (HG was my former bishop when I lived in NM, and I spent about two weeks in the monastery of St. Shenouda four years ago, doing fieldwork for my master's thesis in linguistics on the modern usage of the Coptic language in the diaspora Church) and found them to be very erudite and zealous defenders of our Orthodox faith, though I have not read any of their writings on eschatology beyond the PDF I linked above.

Sorry I can't be of more help! Like I wrote, I haven't delved into this topic before. Too concerned with trying to live right now, I guess. :oops:

Upvote 0