Towson
✟16,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello. I'd love your input. At first, I posted this as a reply within an existing thread I found where so many are already connected re the subject about which I would like counsel. However, it occurred to me that I should also post my own thread, to increase the odds of getting a reply and also in case the thread I was in might have been closed to new replies. I'd love it if you all could please weigh in as to whether my conclusion (below) is appropriate. I feel it is, but still would like to seek counsel in the brethren as part of due diligence. It's a long story, and there is so much more to it than just what I've written below, as I'm sure any of us can relate, but for the purposes of what I'm asking I'll condense it:

I was called by God 15 years ago. He gave me many visions during prayer, about which I spoke to many different clergy, who all agreed that the experience was and messages were authentic. Clergy of various denominations, and non-denominational ones, literally just began appearing into my social life and suddenly I was interacting with them pretty much daily. I went into spiritual direction to help process the whole thing for about 4 years. In the middle of that, I joined a Holy Order as a lay affiliate for about 7 years (was Episcopalean / Anglican at the time, but have since moved out of that and into the non-denominational church). I read and read about theology, theological history, the Bible, and prayed all the time. God told me distinctly that I was to be priest and perform all the things that the Apostles had done and speak words of knowledge to people that He would give me that no one could possibly know, in an effort to make Himself abundantly clear to them. Later, that word kept pressing and I told him I couldn't possibly afford all the money and further years of study in seminary that would be involved in waiting to be ordained and needed His help. He told me that I was to minister but not to go to seminary. Meanwhile, I'd moved across the country to follow the secular work aspect of my calling, as He wanted to use me in that as well, and found a small church group there. I spoke to the minister about this conundrum and he explained that I could enter into discipleship with him, through his church, for eventual ordination. I did that, and essentially functioned as both a pastoral assistant and associate pastor. However, that pastor fell into a form of apostasy. After trying various unsuccessful attempts to address that, I had to disinvolve myself there. God told me at various churches I visited that I should be preaching and, when in prayer, He said that I was already ordained of Him and needn't any more processing - that any papers to legitimize me legally with men and the world were just a technicality and to move forward. Literally right after that, when attending a different church in my search for a new one, an elder who prayed over me got and gave me the same word! The only way I could figure to move forward was through some sort of online ordination, but I was concerned that would appear less authentic or fake and ultimately not be recognized, and didn't know how to really verify some online organizations, and had other, similar concerns. Then, my mother developed problems causing me to move back east to help her, which was a full-time job, and is now a part-time one. I searched here for a church like the one lie the one I'd been part of on the west cast but the only suitable places I've found don't have the ordination process/ option. (This state is difficult, faithwise - a small number of Bible-based churches in a small state that is otherwise a small sea of fairly rampant secularism.)

So, the notion has again come into my mind that I should just stop waiting for approval and just do it. Thus, the online certificates method has come up for me again. Now, especially with all that is happening, I feel like I should get over those concerns, get some sort of online cert. through whatever site seems the most legit to me and/ or recommended by others and just do it and move on. Does this sound right to any of you? Please let me know ASAP as I feel like I need to move on this quickly after so long.

Thank you and God bless!

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can't tell you what to do, but I'd have questions, and feel very uneasy, if I discovered that my Minister had not been to Bible college and his only qualification was an on line certificate.

College and ordination are not just about theology and learning correct doctrine; they are about being recognised, appointed and sent out by a denomination or group of believers. This means they accept your call as being authentic, will vouch for you, support you in prayer, in fellowship and maybe financially, and also that you are accountable to them.
In Luke 9:1-9, the 12 were sent out by Jesus with his instructions and under his authority. Similarly the 72 in Luke 10. In Acts of the Apostles 6:1-6, 7 deacons were chosen and sent out by the apostles who laid hands on them. Saul and Barnabas were sent out by the church in Acts of the Apostles 13:1-3, to do the work that God had called them to. After the council of Jerusalem, Paul and Barnabas were chosen, by the believers, to deliver a letter and go out to encourage the church at Antioch. In Ephesus, Paul was adamant that he was called to go to Jerusalem, even though suffering awaited him there, so all the Ephesian elders gathered, prayed for him and sent him on his way Acts of the Apostles 17:36-38.
I'm not saying that God hasn't called and isn't sending you, but he often affirms that calling, and sending, through the church. Paul said that in his church God has appointed apostles, teachers etc, 1 Corinthians 12:28, and that his gifts and callings are fir the building up of the church, Ephesians 4:11-12. You are part of the body of Christ.

If God has said that you are already ordained in his eyes, why do you need to have a certificate issued by men? Just go and do what he has called you to; get into the community and be salt and light.
If your answer is that you need a certificate for the sake of others - so that they can have confidence that you are properly trained and accredited - then what I've just said, above, applies; get to Bible college. I appreciate that you said, before, that you couldn't afford it, but when God calls he always provides the resources that are needed for you to be able to answer his call.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,512.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'd say it depends what you feel called to do, and in what context. Basically, I agree with Strong in Him; if you want to minister out in the broader community (not in a church community), then by all means just get out there. But if you feel called to minister in the church community, then you need their authorisation and assent. Clergy don't self-appoint.

Either way I wouldn't bother with an online ordination. For the wider society it's not needed, and for the church it will make you look like a fraud.

• Winner
Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0