USA
✟477,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It seems to be a common theme for those who think the Sabbath commandment ended to use Colossians 2:16-17. I would like to take a look at this scriptures and see if what Paul is talking about is one of God’s commandments.

The first step is understanding if commandments are ordinances.

Nehemiah 9:13
“You came down also on Mount Sinai, And spoke with them from heaven, And gave them just ordinances and true laws, Good statutes and commandments.

Scripture shows ordinances are not commandments and commandments are not ordinances- they are separated.

Most when quoting Colossians 2:16-17 never back up to Colossians 2:14 for some reason which plainly gives the context.

Colossians 2:14
Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

So we know this from Colossians 2:14:
1. They are handwritten
2. They are ordinances
3. They are contrary.

Does this fit the Sabbath commandment in any way? Absolutely not.
1. The Sabbath was finger-written by God Exodus 31:18
2. The Sabbath is a commandment of God. Exodus 20, Exodus 34:28
3. God said the Sabbath is holy and blessed Exodus 20:8-11

Colossians 2:14 certainly does not fit with the Sabbath commandment so not sure why so many people try to force this to fit despite the facts clearly showing it is not referring to the weekly Sabbath commandment.

Are there other sabbath(s) in scripture called ordinances that would lead us to the correct context of this passage? What does the scripture say?

2 Chronicles 33:8
Neither will I any more remove the foot of Israel from out of the land which I have appointed for your fathers; so that they will take heed to do all that I have commanded them, according to the whole law and the statutes and the ordinances by the hand of Moses.

Moses hand-wrote the ordinances and the hand of Moses is not the same as the finger of God.

Ezekiel 43:18
And He said to me, “Son of man, thus says the Lord God: ‘These are the ordinances for the altar on the day when it is made, for sacrificing burnt offerings on it, and for sprinkling blood on it.

So what is Colossians 2:14-17 talking about? The sacrificial system in the annual sabbath(s) feast-day ordinances that was used for the forgiveness of sins. These all point to Jesus because He became of sacrificial Lamb for the forgiveness of sin and sanctification when we turn from sin and through Jesus He can give us a new heart and enables us to keep His commandments through love and faith. John 14:15-18, Romans 3:31. The blood of animals made nothing perfect Hebrews 10, but the blood of Christ can cleanse from all sins, when we turn from sin and walk with Christ in obedience to Him. The annual sacrificial sabbath(s) all came after the fall of man. The seventh day Sabbath was part of Creation Genesis 2:1-3 and was part of God’s perfect plan before the fall of man.

There is no scripture that says we can break the commandments of God. The Sabbath is part of a unit of Ten Exodus 34:28 that God placed together and cannot be separated, changed, deleted or removed. Sin is the transgression of God’s law 1 John 3:4 and Paul quotes right to the 10 to point out sin. Romans 7:7

It’s sad so much energy goes in trying to disprove one of God’s finger-written Ten Commandments instead of just obeying God.

Happy Sabbath!

Last edited:

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟902,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems to be a common theme for those who think the Sabbath commandment ended to use Colossians 2:16-17. I would like to take a look at this scriptures and see if what Paul is talking about is one of God’s commandments.

“You came down also on Mount Sinai, And spoke with them from heaven, And gave them just ordinances and true laws, Good statutes and commandments.

Scripture shows ordinances are not commandments and commandments are not ordinances- they are separated.

Most when quoting Colossians 2:16-17 never back up to Colossians 2:14 for some reason which plainly gives the context.

Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

1. They are handwritten
2. They are ordinances
3. They are contrary.

Colossians 2:14 certainly does not fit with the Sabbath commandment so not sure why so many people try to force this to fit despite the facts clearly showing it is not referring to the weekly Sabbath commandment.

Are there other sabbath(s) in scripture called ordinances that would lead us to the correct context of this passage? What does the scripture say?

Neither will I any more remove the foot of Israel from out of the land which I have appointed for your fathers; so that they will take heed to do all that I have commanded them, according to the whole law and the statutes and the ordinances by the hand of Moses.

Moses hand-wrote the ordinances and the hand of Moses is not the same as the finger of God.

And He said to me, “Son of man, thus says the Lord God: ‘These are the ordinances for the altar on the day when it is made, for sacrificing burnt offerings on it, and for sprinkling blood on it.

So what is Colossians 2:14-17 talking about? The sacrificial system in the annual sabbath(s) feast-day ordinances that was used for the forgiveness of sins. These all point to Jesus because He became of sacrificial Lamb for the forgiveness of sin and sanctification when we turn from sin and through Jesus He can give us a new heart and enables us to keep His commandments through love and faith. John 14:15-18, Romans 3:31. The blood of animals made nothing perfect Hebrews 10, but the blood of Christ can cleanse from all sins, when we turn from sin and walk with Christ in obedience to Him. The annual sacrificial sabbath(s) all came after the fall of man. The seventh day Sabbath was part of Creation Genesis 2:1-3 and was part of God’s perfect plan before the fall of man.

There is no scripture that says we can break the commandments of God. The Sabbath is part of a unit of Ten Exodus 34:28 that God placed together and cannot be separated, changed, deleted or removed. Sin is the transgression of God’s law 1 John 3:4 and Paul quotes right to the 10 to point out sin. Romans 7:7

It’s sad so much energy goes in trying to disprove one of God’s finger-written Ten Commandments.

Happy Sabbath!
Is it possible the Spirit is more glorious making that which was written in stone obsolete?
2 Corinthians 3
7But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away, 8how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious? 9For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory. 10For even what was made glorious had no glory in this respect, because of the glory that excels. 11For if what is passing away was glorious, what remains is much more glorious.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Is it possible the Spirit is more glorious making that which was written in stone obsolete?
2 Corinthians 3
7But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away, 8how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious? 9For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory. 10For even what was made glorious had no glory in this respect, because of the glory that excels. 11For if what is passing away was glorious, what remains is much more glorious.
Will there ever be a time we can worship other gods? If your answer is no, than the Ten Commandments will never be obsolete. Scripture already shows us this. Revelation 11:19

The Spirit of the commandments is greater than the letter not lesser. If one is truly walking in the Spirit the letter is automatically kept and Jesus gives us a clear example of this in Matthew 5:19-30.

If one is breaking the letter of the Ten Commandment and sinning and breaking God’s law 1 John 3:4, Romans 7:7 they should prayerfully consider which spirit they are following, The other spirit is the one that does not want us to keep God’s commandments Revelation 12:17 because he as sinned from the beginning. 1 John 3:8

If we submit ourselves to Jesus and obey His commandments, He will give us the Spirit to obey, not disobey. John 14:15-18, Acts 5:32

I pray this helps and God bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 Corinthians 3
Yes, Maria, it is not only possible, it is a fact. As you have quoted in your post, the ten commandments ended. They were only temporary commands and ended then Jesus fulfilled the Law at Calvary. Those commands were Israel's guide. Our guide today is the indwelling of the Holy Spirit as indicated in the verses you quoted.

Those who try to push the Sabbath command onto us deny Paul's clear message in 2Cor3 and his message that Jesus ended the Law in Eph2:15. They deny the fact that Jesus told us in Matt5 He came to fulfill the Law, but not one jot or one tittle could be removed from the Law until all He came to do was finished. His last words were "it is finished". He came to bring an end to the Law and finished that work at Calvary.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟902,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Will there ever be a time we can worship other gods? If your answer is no, than the Ten Commandments will never be obsolete. Scripture already shows us this. Revelation 11:19

The Spirit is greater than the letter not lesser. If one is truly walking in the Spirit the letter is automatically kept and Jesus gives us a clear example of this in Matthew 5:19-30.

If one is breaking the letter of the Ten Commandment and sinning and breaking God’s law 1 John 3:4, Romans 7:7 they should prayerfully consider which spirit they are following, The other spirit is the one that does not want us to keep God’s commandments Revelation 12:17 because he as sinned from the beginning. 1 John 3:8

If we submit ourselves to Jesus and obey His commandments, He will give us the Spirit to obey, not disobey. John 14:15-18, Acts 5:32

I pray this helps and God bless!
Understood! I have chosen Jesus Christ of Nazareth as my Sabbath rest everyday! Thanks for engaging !
Blessings.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Understood! I have chosen Jesus Christ of Nazareth as my Sabbath rest everyday! Thanks for engaging !
Blessings.
If only there was scripture that says Jesus is the Sabbath and we no longer have to keep the 4th commandment. I noticed you didn’t provide that scripture either, and I think we need to be careful not to add or subtract from the Word of God. Scripture warns us of this very thing. Proverbs 30:5-6 Deuteronomy 4:2

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟378,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Jesus hung the law and the prophets on love. They are eternally bound together. You can't profess love without the law and the prophets. Likewise, you can't profess the law and the prophets without love.

Did not Jesus say...?

Matthew 7:12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.​

In other words, love others is the law and the prophets. They are one and the same, just as love God is the law and the prophets.

The very last vision given to John by Jesus, through an angel, signified by His authority. Twice.

Revelation 22:13-16 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.
  • Fornication/Adultery
  • Murder
  • Idolatry
  • False Witness
Is Jesus opposing Paul's writings? Or is there context in Paul's writings that shows they are in harmony with Jesus?

Ephesians 6:2-3 Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise; That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.
Honor thy father and mother is the 5th commandment. Is Paul contradicting himself? No. Context is found in scripture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

truthisfreedom2019

Feb 28, 2019
Chetwynd
✟159,993.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
2 Corinthians 3
Was it not the spirit that wrote the letter?

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus hung the law and the prophets on love. They are eternally bound together. You can't profess love without the law and the prophets. Likewise, you can't profess the law and the prophets without love.

Did not Jesus say...?

Matthew 7:12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.​

In other words, love others is the law and the prophets. They are one and the same, just as love God is the law and the prophets.

The very last vision given to John by Jesus, through an angel, signified by His authority. Twice.

Revelation 22:13-16 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.
  • Fornication/Adultery
  • Murder
  • Idolatry
  • False Witness
Is Jesus opposing Paul's writings? Or is there context in Paul's writings that shows they are in harmony with Jesus?

Ephesians 6:2-3 Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise; That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.
Honor they father and mother is the 5th commandment. Is Paul contradicting himself? No. Context is found in scripture.
Great point Freth! Thanks for sharing and Happy Sabbath!

• Friendly
Reactions: Freth
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The same Spirit now makes His Home in the believer.
Blessings
Does a beleiver, trust the teachings of God and obeys what He asks?

Acts 5:32 We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him.”

Jesus giving us His Spirit seems to be conditional on the very commandments people object to for some reason.

John 14:15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.

Exodus 20:8 8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟902,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does a beleiver, trust the teachings of God and obeys what He asks?

Acts 5:32 We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him.”

Jesus giving us His Spirit seems to be conditional on the very commandments people object to for some reason.

John 14:15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.

Exodus 20:8 8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God
Thanks for sharing!
Blessings

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

1. They are handwritten
2. They are ordinances
3. They are contrary.

It’s sad so much energy goes in trying to disprove one of God’s finger-written Ten Commandments instead of just obeying God.

Happy Sabbath!
Hi SB,

So in this part,
...according to the whole law and the statutes and the ordinances by the hand of Moses.
are you saying that if God gave an instruction through Moses, then it is an ordinance?

Here's looking forward to a good discussion!

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi SB,

So in this part,
are you saying that if God gave an instruction through Moses, then it is an ordinance?

Here's looking forward to a good discussion!

Scripture reveals Moses hand wrote the ordinances and other laws.

Finger and hand is not the same. Moses wrote all of the other laws by hand, except for the Ten Commandments- God alone wrote His holy law with His own finger. Exodus 31:18

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Scripture reveals Moses hand wrote the ordinances and other laws.

Finger and hand is not the same. Moses wrote all of the other laws by hand, except for the Ten Commandments- God alone wrote His holy law with His own finger. Exodus 31:18

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Okay, so... all of the instructions in Genesis through Deuteronomy - except the Ten commandments - are laws given by the hand of Moses and thus are ordinances, yes?
Leaf- did I say that? Perhaps you should re-read my post. Also, the context is "written" finger-written by God vs hand-written, you seemed to have changed the context for some reason.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Leaf- did I say that? Perhaps you should re-read my post. Also, the context is "written" finger-written by God vs hand-written, you seemed to have changed the context for some reason.
I wasn't sure if you said it or not, that's why I put it in the form of a question.

I'll make it a more explicit question: Are all of the instructions in Genesis through Deuteronomy - except the Ten commandments - laws given by the hand of Moses and thus are ordinances?

May the peace of the Lord be always with you!

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't sure if you said it or not, that's why I put it in the form of a question.

I'll make it a more explicit question: Are all of the instructions in Genesis through Deuteronomy - except the Ten commandments - laws given by the hand of Moses and thus are ordinances?

May the peace of the Lord be always with you!
You again are changing the context. The context in my post which you are replying to is not “given”. It is “written”.

You seem to be missing the first scripture I posted for some reason, which hopefully answers your question regarding if all other laws are ordinances.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You again are changing the context. The context in my post which you are replying to is not “given”. It is “written”.

You seem to be missing the first scripture I posted for some reason, which hopefully answers your question regarding if all other laws are ordinances.

(First off, what version is this? In order to avoid copyright infringement, we probably have to put some letters after it, like NKJV or something.)

"You came down also on Mount Sinai"
Okay, that's God, right?

"And spoke with them from heaven"
God spoke with the Israelites from heaven.

"And gave them just ordinances and true laws, Good statutes and commandments."
Okay, and God gave the Israelites ordinances, laws, statutes, and commandments. Are we agreeing so far?

And then we've got
....according to the whole law and the statutes and the ordinances by the hand of Moses.
Are you understanding that as it's just ordinances that came by the hand of Moses, or that the whole law, statues, and ordinances came by the hand of Moses?

And yes, that's fine to focus on the writing. Did Moses's hand write the whole law, statutes, and ordinances?

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
(First off, what version is this? In order to avoid copyright infringement, we probably have to put some letters after it, like NKJV or something.)

"You came down also on Mount Sinai"
Okay, that's God, right?

"And spoke with them from heaven"
God spoke with the Israelites from heaven.

"And gave them just ordinances and true laws, Good statutes and commandments."
Okay, and God gave the Israelites ordinances, laws, statutes, and commandments. Are we agreeing so far?

And then we've got

Are you understanding that as it's just ordinances that came by the hand of Moses, or that the whole law, statues, and ordinances came by the hand of Moses?

And yes, that's fine to focus on the writing. Did Moses's hand write the whole law, statutes, and ordinances?

So you again are changing the context- my post you are replying to is about who wrote the laws, not who gave them.

Maybe this will be easier and if you disagree, please quote the scripture that proves otherwise-make sure you post which version you're using, which is not something I normally see you do. :)

Exodus 31:18 And when He (God) had made an end of speaking with him on Mount Sinai, He gave Moses two tablets of the Testimony, tablets of stone, written with the finger of God. NKJV

The only commandments in the entire scripture both written by the finger of God and spoken by God was the Ten Commandants. Exodus 20 Only the Ten Commandments was placed inside the ark of the covenant in the Most Holy where God dwells.

If you have scripture that disagrees, please provide your proof.

Upvote 0