Ordained a Presbyter

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Hello my friends;
I just wanted to let you all know that on Monday 21st I was ordained a presbyter by a Bishop I have been working with for over 4 years. My primary assignment will be hospital and prison chaplaincy as my health allows. My ordaining body can best be described as a part of the convergence movement with valid apostolic succession.

Bless you all.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hello my friends;
I just wanted to let you all know that on Monday 21st I was ordained a presbyter by a Bishop I have been working with for over 4 years. My primary assignment will be hospital and prison chaplaincy as my health allows. My ordaining body can best be described as a part of the convergence movement with valid apostolic succession.

Bless you all.

Congratulations and Blessings, NS!

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I thought only Presbyterians use that word.

No, but they do so because they are GOVERNED by presbyters. Anglicans use the word because we HAVE presbyters, but we are governed by bishops.

Any church that has elders, i.e. presbyters, who are placed in charge of some function or other may use the term, but I have no list of denominations for you.

Upvote 0

Cjwinnit

Advocatus Diaboli (Retired)
Jun 28, 2004
England.
✟18,928.00
Faith
Anglican
I thought only Presbyterians use that word.

Indeed - but they use it in a slightly different way. Presbyterian churches have an office called "elder" from the Greek "Presbyter". It's not necessarily an ordained position - it usually means the members of the eldership team in charge of a local church.

In the Anglican tradition a presbyter is the third order of ministry, after Bishop and Deacon. It is an ordained position giving people the authority to lead communion and pronounce the absolution. Presbyters are nowadays often called priests - the terms are interchangeable.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I thought only Presbyterians use that word. What other denominations use that word?

The English word priest is derived from presbyter. Even the RCC, which rarely uses the word presbyter directly in English describes the priest's residence from which the parish is run as a presbytery.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Hello my friends;

Bless you all.

May God bless your ministry.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I appreciate you my friends for helping RisingSpirit. I'm afraid my short and hurried response to his question was woefully insufficient as an answer. I also appreciate your kind thoughts and wishes for my ministry. Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What does one need to do to become a Presbyter?

It's usually the case that you belong to the church that you hope will ordain you to the diaconate following study and examination. After some time as a deacon, you will be ordained a presbyter.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
What does one need to do to become a Presbyter?

In most cases (including mine) there is both a combination of education (often a Master's degree) and service to the Church. This service may include what they call minor orders (Acolyte, Exorcist, Lector and Sub-Deacon) and almost always includes time as an ordained Deacon. I did not serve minor orders but have been a Deacon for 17 years. (Many of those years however I was not active in ministry)

Different ordaining bodies (denominations, churches etc.) however have different requirements. There are a few Old Catholic bodies that use the "Reading for Orders" method of preparing priests and I think in some cases they do an excellent job.

As I mentioned earlier I am ordained by a body that is best described as part of the convergence movement. Some would not consider us Anglican or Old Catholic although we have Apostolic lines from both. If you are looking for a more precise answer concerning churches within the Anglican Communion someone else should pop in.

Upvote 0