Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So I guess there is a new trend out there called orbiting on social media in the dating world after a breakup or possibly ghosting Has anyone had experience with this? It's a little strange and confusing to me.

If you have done this yourself to another person I'm curious as to reasons why? I'm sure there will be various situations and it's not all the same.

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What is orbiting?
So I think this article explains it best

Meet "Orbiting," the New Breakup Habit That's Worse Than Ghosting

But the way that I understand it basically is possibly someone breaking up with you but them still liking your post or showing up as looking at your pages on Instagram or something. I'm probably getting the definition wrong. But I'm guessing that's the gist of it, they still are digitally keeping in your world but not part of your world if that makes any sense.

from different articles I've read it sounds like people have different takes on how they feel about this behavior. Some positive some negative.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So I think this article explains it best

Meet "Orbiting," the New Breakup Habit That's Worse Than Ghosting

But the way that I understand it basically is possibly someone breaking up with you but them still liking your post or showing up as looking at your pages on Instagram or something. I'm probably getting the definition wrong. But I'm guessing that's the gist of it, they still are digitally keeping in your world but not part of your world if that makes any sense.

from different articles I've read it sounds like people have different takes on how they feel about this behavior. Some positive some negative.

Yeah, I guess it depends on the person, or maybe the situation. If the breakup is painful, dropping by and liking the ex's posts might seem spiteful. On the other hand, if there is not much animosity, it might be a way to show that all is good in spite of things not working out.

Social media has created so many odd situations that one couldn't have imagined before. I have no idea how to navigate it. But, then again, I'm not even trying. :)

Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Puppies are an acceptable form of currency.
Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I did it multiple times. Maybe it was my depression, maybe I just lost interest, but the point is, I ghosted many girls. I don’t know how to explain why I did it except maybe a discomfort with intimacy.

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I did it multiple times. Maybe it was my depression, maybe I just lost interest, but the point is, I ghosted many girls. I don’t know how to explain why I did it except maybe a discomfort with intimacy.
Hey thanks for sharing. I appreciate your honesty. So after you ghosted the girl did you also follow or like her on Social Media, which is orbiting. Just curious.

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I guess it depends on the person, or maybe the situation. If the breakup is painful, dropping by and liking the ex's posts might seem spiteful. On the other hand, if there is not much animosity, it might be a way to show that all is good in spite of things not working out.

Social media has created so many odd situations that one couldn't have imagined before. I have no idea how to navigate it. But, then again, I'm not even trying. :)
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I do agree social media has created some weird relationships, connected but not connected.

My own personal situation the guy told me he found an unexpected connection on his two week vacation. I agreed from the get-go I had always told him if things didn't work out between us long-term that we would still be very good friends. I kind of think it's partially guilt but also partially that he cares. But of course my situation is unique compared to I guess the typical ones. I only mention it because there's another gal that I run with that has had similar situations but I don't think she stayed friends with them. It's just exes that baby want to spy on her but she didn't leave on good terms with.

Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Puppies are an acceptable form of currency.
Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hey thanks for sharing. I appreciate your honesty. So after you ghosted the girl did you also follow or like her on Social Media, which is orbiting. Just curious.
Maybe I orbited, can’t remember that well, but I see most of them from time to time because we worked at the same Baptist camp together.

Upvote 0

JustSomeBloke

Unacceptable Fringe Minority
Site Supporter
Sep 10, 2018
My Home
✟177,126.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I guess there is a new trend out there called orbiting on social media in the dating world after a breakup or possibly ghosting Has anyone had experience with this? It's a little strange and confusing to me.

If you have done this yourself to another person I'm curious as to reasons why? I'm sure there will be various situations and it's not all the same.
I think what happens after a relationship ends depends a lot on the person, the way the romantic relationship ended, and what, if anything, happened before the romantic relationship began. Examples:

1. If you were long term friends before being romantically involved, then the breakup can be a double blow, because you lose a lover and could also lose a friend. Reactions to that can vary person by person. For some it is too painful to continue as friends but not as lovers. Others slip seamlessly and effortlessly back into 'just good friends', with no bad feeling, and genuine joy for the other's successes in life, including new relationships and marriage to someone else.
2. Some people may hold out some hope that the relationship can be salvaged and rekindled, and so loiter in the background. This might be considered a form of orbiting.
3. For those who were not long term friends before becoming romantically involved, I think the likelihood is greatest that they will simply drift apart and lose contact (except when one holds out hope of rekindling the love, as described in 2).

Some of the reactions and outcomes I described above are healthy, while others could be indicative of someone who may need to work on themselves before pursuing another romantic relationship. I still consider myself a work in progress, but I'm curious to see what opportunities the Lord may provide to me in the future.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
Social media has splintered the human psyche into realms that not even the most qualified psychologists have dared go. These behaviours have turned the most normal, straight and sensible people into weirdos.

I don't feel it'll do MY psyche any good analysing it. The dating scene - especially, is just plain ODD. I don't know why anyone would put themselves through it. It can't be enjoyable to literally play bingo with bodies.

I must say I'm looking forward to my old man's shed already. Where's me old dear with my cup of Bovril?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think what happens after a relationship ends depends a lot on the person, the way the romantic relationship ended, and what, if anything, happened before the romantic relationship began. Examples:

1. If you were long term friends before being romantically involved, then the breakup can be a double blow, because you lose a lover and could also lose a friend. Reactions to that can vary person by person. For some it is too painful to continue as friends but not as lovers. Others slip seamlessly and effortlessly back into 'just good friends', with no bad feeling, and genuine joy for the other's successes in life, including new relationships and marriage to someone else.
2. Some people may hold out some hope that the relationship can be salvaged and rekindled, and so loiter in the background. This might be considered a form of orbiting.
3. For those who were not long term friends before becoming romantically involved, I think the likelihood is greatest that they will simply drift apart and lose contact (except when one holds out hope of rekindling the love, as described in 2).

Some of the reactions and outcomes I described above are healthy, while others could be indicative of someone who may need to work on themselves before pursuing another romantic relationship. I still consider myself a work in progress, but I'm curious to see what opportunities the Lord may provide to me in the future.
Thanks! Some good points and thoughts. I think number one the last thought of a friendship happening again after and encouraging another success is probably more rare. I'm probably in that last category where I am always hoping the best for the other person, even if it hurts. Social media seems like a light and distant way to continue a friendship. Number two and number three are also good thoughts to think on.

• Friendly
Reactions: JustSomeBloke
Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Social media has splintered the human psyche into realms that not even the most qualified psychologists have dared go. These behaviours have turned the most normal, straight and sensible people into weirdos.

I don't feel it'll do MY psyche any good analysing it. The dating scene - especially, is just plain ODD. I don't know why anyone would put themselves through it. It can't be enjoyable to literally play bingo with bodies.

I must say I'm looking forward to my old man's shed already. Where's me old dear with my cup of Bovril?
yes you are right the digital age has created a more complex world for relationships. I also would say that it's nice because you have a chance to see what they're like is like and how they interact with others in a short. Of time without having to constantly get together with them. As for the after effects, I think it can get weird like you were saying. But there's also a chance to turn it into something good, sharing Jesus in a distant way with scripture.

Upvote 0