Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Democrats attempt to pass Gap bill but voting gets confused. What a kerfuffle; fun word kerfuffle.

Chaos briefly broke out on the floor of the House Thursday as Republicans accused House Democrats of trying to pull a fast one with a hasty vote to end the partial shutdown.

The drama began in the afternoon when the Democratic-controlled House held a voice vote on an interim spending bill to re-open the government through February 28.

Customarily, after a voice vote is held, the opposition party will demand a recorded roll call vote. But when no one said anything, North Carolina Rep. G.K. Butterfield, who was presiding over the House, did not hold a roll call vote and instead announced that the measure was approved.

“The ayes have it!” Butterfield announced. “The Joint Resolution is agreed to!”

Chaos on House floor as Dems hold hasty vote to end shutdown, Republicans demand redo

Actually this could be rather comical, I wonder if any of the late shows will work with it.

An unfortunate and not funny related story. Kudos to the Republican and Democrat gentlemen directly involved.
House floor erupts after GOP lawmaker shouts ‘Go back to Puerto Rico’

Last edited:

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Democrats attempt to pass Gap bill but voting gets confused. What a kerfuffle; fun word kerfuffle.

Chaos briefly broke out on the floor of the House Thursday as Republicans accused House Democrats of trying to pull a fast one with a hasty vote to end the partial shutdown.

The drama began in the afternoon when the Democratic-controlled House held a voice vote on an interim spending bill to re-open the government through February 28.

Customarily, after a voice vote is held, the opposition party will demand a recorded roll call vote. But when no one said anything, North Carolina Rep. G.K. Butterfield, who was presiding over the House, did not hold a roll call vote and instead announced that the measure was approved.

“The ayes have it!” Butterfield announced. “The Joint Resolution is agreed to!”

Chaos on House floor as Dems hold hasty vote to end shutdown, Republicans demand redo

Actually this could be rather comical, I wonder if any of the late shows will work with it.

An unfortunate and not funny related story. Kudos to the Republican and Democrat gentlemen directly involved.
House floor erupts after GOP lawmaker shouts ‘Go back to Puerto Rico’

Seems like and innocent misunderstanding. Glad they got it worked out.

However, complete lack of class for whoever made the Puerto Rico comment. Reminds me of "You lie" at Obama's SOTU speech.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
>> Smith’s spokesman Joey Brown confirmed he was the member who shouted, “Go back to Puerto Rico,” but said the remark was not directed at Cárdenas.

“Congressman Smith’s comment was directed at all the Democrats who were vacationing down in Puerto Rico last weekend during the government shutdown, not towards any individual member,” Brown said. <<

Do they think everyone is stupid?

Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
>> Smith’s spokesman Joey Brown confirmed he was the member who shouted, “Go back to Puerto Rico,” but said the remark was not directed at Cárdenas.

“Congressman Smith’s comment was directed at all the Democrats who were vacationing down in Puerto Rico last weekend during the government shutdown, not towards any individual member,” Brown said. <<

Sadly, I think some people are that stupid, or maybe just willfully ignorant.

Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟605,900.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

This might actually be true, however since it was, I believe, all or mostly all members of the Hispanic caucus, it doesn't make it any better. That fact may not be known to the general public because the right was trying to spin it as all the dems partying in paradise while everyone at home suffers, but as a member of the house, I'd expect him to know.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Seems like and innocent misunderstanding. Glad they got it worked out.

However, complete lack of class for whoever made the Puerto Rico comment. Reminds me of "You lie" at Obama's SOTU speech.
From Election Day 2016 forward, the Democrats in Congress vowed to obstruct government in any way possible. So we are now gradually losing all sense of civility in political life. Every day it gets worse. Who could have imagined, not long ago, that the Speaker of the House of Representatives would try to cancel the State of the Union address because the president is of the other political party?

But when decorum and precedent are thrown out the window, we should not be surprised at such incidents as this one in which the whole House was apparently in an uproar occur with finger-pointing and accusations flying in all directions. There is worse than this to come.

Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
From Election Day 2016 forward, the Democrats in Congress vowed to obstruct government in any way possible. So we are now gradually losing all sense of civility in political life. Every day it gets worse. Who could have imagined, not long ago, that the Speaker of the House of Representatives would try to cancel the State of the Union address because the president is of the other political party?

But when decorum and precedent are thrown out the window, we should not be surprised at such incidents as this one in which the whole House was apparently in an uproar occur with finger-pointing and accusations flying in all directions. There is worse than this to come.

If you think it is just starting now, you must have been sleeping for the 8 years that Obama was President. Remember Mitch “our goal is to make Obama a one term president” McConnell?

What happened here had nothing to do with Dems trying to obstruct government - they were passing a spending bill! The Senate under McConnell hasn’t brought a single spending bill to the floor. He has been absent from all discussions.

And the cry of “Go back to Puerto Rico” - that was a Republican. It was also a Republican who shouted “You lie!” At Obama during a SOTU.

As for Pelosi rescheduling he speech - so be it. It is her prerogrative. The President can’t come to the House chamber without her permission. It is only since Woodrow Wilson that the SOTU has been given in person - prior to that they were all in writing.

Besides, she isn’t canceling because Trump is the other party. It’s because he is holding the government hostage over a stupid campaign chant that will do nothing to solve the problem he claims to care about.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you think it is just starting now, you must have been sleeping for the 8 years that Obama was President. Remember Mitch “our goal is to make Obama a one term president” McConnell?

I hear that a lot from one side of the political spectrum. It's about the only example they can go to. But no, I do not buy the proposition for a moment.

The comparison is absolutely imbalanced.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
From Election Day 2016 forward, the Democrats in Congress vowed to obstruct government in any way possible.

The selective memory around here is amazing.
http://apps.frontline.org/divided-s...terviews/moments/the-opposition-strategy.html
>> But the opening chapter can be traced to the night of Obama’s inauguration.

As Democrats celebrated at inaugural balls across Washington, top GOPluminaries gathered at the Caucus Room, a swank Washington steakhouse. They came in shell shocked and glum, according to those in attendance, but by the end of the night, they would coalesce around a tough new strategy for taking on the new president. <<

So we are now gradually losing all sense of civility in political life. Every day it gets worse.
Yeah...

RushFlagUnderSeige-Z.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Liberalism-Mental-Disorder-Michael-Savage/dp/1595550437
https://www.amazon.com/Treason-Liberal-Treachery-Cold-Terrorism/dp/1400050324
https://www.amazon.com/Demonic-How-Liberal-Endangering-America/dp/0307353494

Who could have imagined, not long ago, that the Speaker of the House of Representatives would try to cancel the State of the Union address because the president is of the other political party?

That is mendacious prevarication. She did not suggest postponing the SOTU because the president is of another political party, but to try and break the shutdown stalemate.

But when decorum and precedent are thrown out the window...

64cbfbe11b31069c19ea8ca78595ea7a_large.jpg

salahi_obama2.jpg

7c90605c-e8a3-4449-a63a-03f247a5f084-20047116_BG1.jpg

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I hear that a lot from one side of the political spectrum. It's about the only example they can go to. But no, I do not buy the proposition for a moment.

I mean, I could point to the government shutdown under Obama or the GOP threatening to cause the country to default on its debt. Or the Senate's refusal to consider Merrick Garland for the Supreme Court (and dozens of other appointees on top of that). Or the opposition to Obamacare. Or any number of other things. McConnell's soundbite is simply the most succinct and unambiguous of them. If you want a more complete documentation, this article does a pretty decent job: The Victory of ‘No’

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married

Yup - you were sleeping. Or maybe had your head in the sand. Or maybe just didn’t care because it was your side taking the offensive against Obama.

Mitch’s statement is far from the only example. It is just emblematic of what they did for the next 8 years. Others have already posted countless examples to help jog your memory.

Upvote 0

Jamsie

Site Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
Vermont
✟326,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yup - you were sleeping. Or maybe had your head in the sand. Or maybe just didn’t care because it was your side taking the offensive against Obama.

Mitch’s statement is far from the only example. It is just emblematic of what they did for the next 8 years. Others have already posted countless examples to help jog your memory.

It appears that abject bias causes considerable memory disfunction...

The hypocrite ryan said this (2002) "What we're trying to accomplish today with the passage of this third stimulus package is to create jobs and help the unemployed,” What we're trying to accomplish is to pass the kinds of legislation that when they've passed in the past have grown the economy and gotten people back to work. In recessions unemployment lags on well after a recovery has taken place."

Why then did he reject stimulus in a much more severe recession?

Eric Cantor - “We’re not here to cut deals and get crumbs and stay in the minority for another 40 years,” Cantor is quoted as saying. “We’re not rolling over ... We’re going to fight these guys.”

Worst economy in 80 years but party is more important than country.

*GOP filibustering has helped the 112th Congress become one of the least productive in history, passing a mere 561 bills (the lowest number since these records started even being kept in 1947) and contributing to its deserved label of a do-nothing, dysfunctional Congress.

*Something like the 5 previous Presidents had to seek cloture 390 some times, Obama with still 3 years to go is at 307, but no that is not obstruction. Stop blaming Bush...yet his 8 years only amounted to 130.

Conservative Truth-Teller, Bruce Bartlett – Values of the Wise

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I mean, I could point to the government shutdown under Obama or the GOP threatening to cause the country to default on its debt. Or the Senate's refusal to consider Merrick Garland for the Supreme Court (and dozens of other appointees on top of that). Or the opposition to Obamacare. Or any number of other things. McConnell's soundbite is simply the most succinct and unambiguous of them. If you want a more complete documentation, this article does a pretty decent job:...
I'll be candid. I know that others see it differently, and I could explain why many of the comparisons that people make--such as the Merrick Garland case or a one sentence comment by Sen. McConnell that was not followed up by a campaign of obstructionism--are not parallel to the plainly destructive actions taken by some other people these days.

I know also that there are some actions that have come from both parties that we might call hardball, but the descent into hate speech, unprecedented vulgarity, obstructionism that includes open calls for overthrowing the government, and so much more that some have engaged in lately...has gone way beyond that which we experienced before in our national history.

It's broken new and dangerous ground that we will not soon recover from as a nation; and if the partisans of one side resort to it, the tables will be turned at some time in the future and the favor will be returned.

Nixon was impeached, so it was not unthinkable when the chance came for impeaching Clinton. Merrick Garland was the beneficiary of what was done by his own party to Bork and Clarence Thomas. The Democrats lose an election, so they want to eliminate or circumvent the Electoral College in response. Pelosi cancels the State of the Union speech, so Trump cancels her overseas junket. And so on. None of that was business as usual in the past. I fear for our country.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I'll be candid. I know that others see it differently, and I could explain why many of the comparisons that people make--such as the Merrick Garland case or a one sentence comment by Sen. McConnell that was not followed up by a campaign of obstructionism--are not parallel to the plainly destructive actions taken by some other people these days.

I know also that there are some actions that have come from both parties that we might call hardball, but the descent into hate speech, unprecedented vulgarity, obstructionism that includes open calls for overthrowing the government, and so much more that some have engaged in lately...has gone way beyond that which we experienced before in our national history.

It's broken new and dangerous ground that we will not soon recover from as a nation; and if the partisans of one side resort to it, the tables will be turned at some time in the future and the favor will be returned.

Nixon was impeached, so it was not unthinkable when the chance came for impeaching Clinton. Merrick Garland was the beneficiary of what was done by his own party to Bork and Clarence Thomas. The Democrats lose an election, so they want to eliminate or circumvent the Electoral College in response. Pelosi cancels the State of the Union speech, so Trump cancels her overseas junket. And so on. None of that was business as usual in the past. I fear for our country.

You are wrong about Garland. When Biden made that speech, there was no nominee - it was all theoretical. Besides, Biden suggested not considering a nominee during election season. Garland was nominated in March - 8 months before the election. There were then 2 months between the election and the inauguration. McConnel played politics and tried to lay the blame on Biden. Anyone who knows the history of the “Biden Rule” (which isn’t even a formal rule) should know the difference if they are being honest. Do you really think McConnell will delay a Trump nominee is one is named in March of 2020?

As far as obstructionism - you have already been shown the rampant use of the filibuster that made huge uptick when Obama was president.

And you want to talk about hate speech? Obama received four times as many death threats as Bush 43.
Threatening the President of the United States - Wikipedia

And questioning qualifications for office? Our current president was a leader in the birther movement.

This is just a small sample.

I am not saying that there isn’t obstructionism now or that people are not mean to Trump. However, this is not new. Evidence shows is started by the Republicans against Obama.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Our history includes a civil war that was followed by the assassination of the president of the winning side and decades of violence and turmoil as different sides jockeyed to keep former slaves oppressed by other means. As nutty as things are right now, we're not anywhere close to that level, so I think it's safe to say that, even excluding your obvious partisan bias, your perspective is still really, really skewed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Our history includes a civil war that was followed by the assassination of the president of the winning side and decades of violence and turmoil as different sides jockeyed to keep former slaves oppressed by other means. As nutty as things are right now, we're not anywhere close to that level, so I think it's safe to say that, even excluding your obvious partisan bias, your perspective is still really, really skewed.
We only need look at the 60s... the 1960s to see how bad things can get in more recent times.

Upvote 0

GlabrousDory4

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
From Election Day 2016 forward, the Democrats in Congress vowed to obstruct government in any way possible. So we are now gradually losing all sense of civility in political life. Every day it gets worse.

"The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president."
-Mitch McConnell
Who could have imagined, not long ago, that the Speaker of the House of Representatives would try to cancel the State of the Union address because the president is of the other political party?

WHO could have imagined 30 years ago that it would be a REPUBLICAN president who sold America out to a Russian autocrat?

But here we are!

'He's Not a War Hero': Donald Trump Mocks John McCain's Service

• Agree
Reactions: EpiscipalMe
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We only need look at the 60s... the 1960s to see how bad things can get in more recent times.

Yeah, that, too. Cops turning dogs and firehoses on people marching for civil rights, NG troops firing on unarmed students. But wittle Donny getting his feewings hurt is so much worse.

• Agree
Reactions: EpiscipalMe
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
a one sentence comment by Sen. McConnell that was not followed up by a campaign of obstructionism
What is your basis for the bolded claim? Seriously, even laying aside Garland, there's still the District Court appointments that were also blocked (20 of them, which is 17 more than had EVER been blocked). There's holding the debt ceiling hostage to force the President to follow their agenda, then whining when they got what they wanted because Obama got a couple concessions too. There's refusing to extend the Bush tax cuts for the middle class (which is, in theory, against everything the Republican party claims to stand for). There's the refusal to vote for Obama's stimulus package after Democrats crossed the aisle and voted to shore up Wall Street at the end of Bush's term. Republicans later voted for a very similar stimulus package that wasn't proposed by Obama. Very, very few Republicans were willing to cross the aisle while the Democrats had a supermajority (and those that did were slammed for it), meaning that legislation had to incorporate tons of compromises to keep all of the Democrats onboard. They filibustered or voted against things like unemployment benefits, infrastructure spending, small-business tax cuts. And once they had the majority, Obama was forced to resort to executive orders and regulations (you know, those things that you hate) to get anything that he wanted to do done because congress refused to work with him. They shut down the government because he wouldn't repeal Obamacare - which is certainly no less petty than the current situation, especially considering that Obamacare was already passed into law, and not a proposed item in the budget.

As has already been pointed out, we've had an actual civil war before. I don't think the current situation has reached that point yet. And there was absolutely unprecedented hate speech and vulgarity directed at the President during Obama's presidency. Representatives were elected running on the platform that he was a non-American, socialist/communist Muslim, out to destroy the nation. The rhetoric against Trump (though it has come close at times) has certainly not gone any further than that - I'm not sure how it could.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What is your basis for the bolded claim? Seriously, even laying aside Garland, there's still the District Court appointments that were also blocked (20 of them, which is 17 more than had EVER been blocked). There's holding the debt ceiling hostage to force the President to follow their agenda, then whining when they got what they wanted because Obama got a couple concessions too.
Despite that comment by McConnell which, to be clear, wasn't all that remarkable--that they would try to keep Obama from being re-elected--government moved along more or less in the usual way. Compare that to the current situation and...it's not comparable. ;)

Upvote 0