✟17,283.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Habakkuk 3:1-6 (KJV)

1A prayer of Habakkuk the prophet upon Shigionoth.
2O LORD, I have heard thy speech, and was afraid: O LORD, revive thy work in the midst of the years, in the midst of the years make known; in wrath remember mercy.
3God came from Teman, and the Holy One from mount Paran. Selah. His glory covered the heavens, and the earth was full of his praise.
4And his brightness was as the light; he had horns coming out of his hand: and there was the hiding of his power.
5Before him went the pestilence, and burning coals went forth at his feet. 6He stood, and measured the earth: he beheld, and drove asunder the nations; and the everlasting mountains were scattered, the perpetual hills did bow: his ways are everlasting.

what does this mean to you, is it talking about the origins of God, or is it a metaphore for something else entirely?

singpeace

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
U.S.
✟40,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
"He came from Teman, even the Holy One from Mount Paran." This refers to the visible display of the glory of God when he gave the law upon Mount Sinai. (Deu. 33:2)

Then the Lord came down upon Mount Sinai in a cloud (Ex. 19:20) and his glory was as the devouring fire, not only to enforce the law he then gave them, but to avow the deliverance he had wrought for them and to magnify it; for the first word he said there was, "I am the Lord thy God, that brought thee out of the land of Egypt. I that appear in this glory am the author of that work."

Then his glory covered the heavens, which shone with the reflection of that glorious appearance of his. People at a distance saw the cloud and fire on the top of Mount Sinai, and praised the God of Israel.

Upvote 0

MichaelKelley

Sinner Saved By Grace
Jul 28, 2010
Eads, TN
Visit site
✟15,686.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

2O LORD, I have heard thy speech, and was afraid: O LORD, revive thy work in the midst of the years, in the midst of the years make known; in wrath remember mercy.
3God came from Teman, and the Holy One from mount Paran. Selah. His glory covered the heavens, and the earth was full of his praise.
4And his brightness was as the light; he had horns coming out of his hand: and there was the hiding of his power.
5Before him went the pestilence, and burning coals went forth at his feet. 6He stood, and measured the earth: he beheld, and drove asunder the nations; and the everlasting mountains were scattered, the perpetual hills did bow: his ways are everlasting.

what does this mean to you, is it talking about the origins of God, or is it a metaphore for something else entirely?

Check out this commentary on it. Whenever I have trouble understanding something in Scripture, Blue Letter Bible and prayer are the first places I go to. David Guzik and Chuck Smith are two of the better commentators. Click this link: Blue Letter Bible - David Guzik - Habakkuk 3.

Upvote 0

Pete_Martinez

May 1, 2010
✟15,524.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
In Relationship
He seems to be summarizing what happened during the great exodus. One of the biggest common themes in the Old Testament is God bringing Israel out of Egypt. Whenever they doubt his faithfulness he always tells them to remember when he brought them out of Egypt.

It seems near the end of the chapter to be future predictive prophecy. The Day of the LORD seems to have similar language to what Habakkuk describes.

Hab 3:16 When I heard, my belly trembled; my lips quivered at the voice: rottenness entered into my bones, and I trembled in myself, that I might rest in the day of trouble: when he cometh up unto the people, he will invade them with his troops.
Hab 3:17 Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls:
Hab 3:18 Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.
Hab 3:19 The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places.

Not the type of language anyone would be using especially considering that God pretty much told him that he was raising a nation to punish Israel.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2010
United States
✟15,642.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Thank you for your most interesting question!
As Brother Habakkuk is writing primarily to the Jewish Nation, I think looking at the obvious meaning should be examined first.
1)The Holy One of Israel has spoken,and Brother Habakkuk shows the correct attitude of fear.
2)The fearful Word of God gave Habakkuk the desire of all faithful believers:That God would revive His work,for His glory, now.
a)The revival asked for is a revival of the Word of God.
b)A further clue that the Words of God are fearful and contain
judgement is Habakkuk's plea for mercy amidst the "wrath to come".
3)Verse three is one of those Scriptures that likely refer to future events, after the Great Tribulation and the Milinneum when the "Tabernacle of God is with man."
4)And at that time we shall,indeed,see the Glory of God in Heaven and His praise upon earth.
5) The descriptiion of God wreathed in Light is common in the Bible, as is the idea that God must,even upon future glorified Christians, not reveal His full Splendor upon us, lest we be consumed.
a)As you likely know, the Bible uses "horns" as a symbol of nations,
such as "the Little Goat", the "Little Horn" of Daniel, etc.I see no reason to assume a different meaning, as we know from multiple Scriptures that there will be nations during the Milineum and on the New Earth.
6)Now we come to God's Manifestation in Wrath, the "fearful" Words of God that Habakkuk first heard.
a)Pestilence
b)Burning coals of "purifying" as off the Altar.
c)The measuring and "weighing" of the nation of Israel
d)The future Judgement of the earth.

I agree that this passage from Habakkuk is not one for easy interpretation, but a little "comparing Scripture with Scripture" gives us some of the salient facts.(And we can always fall back on the expositors favorite verse," The secret things belong unto the Lord.":)

J.o.Y.
"And the work of righteousness shall be peace;and the effect of righteousness,quietness and assurance forever." Isaiah 32:17

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
John Gill's commentary on the Entire Bible says:

The title of this chapter is a prayer of Habakkuk the prophet, composed after the manner of a psalm of David, and directed to the chief singer, Hab 3:1. The occasion of it is expressed, Hab 3:2 in which the prophet declares his concern for the work of the Lord, and the promotion of the kingdom and interest of Christ; and observes the various steps that were, or would be, taken for the advancement of it; for which he prays, and suggests that these would be after the manner of the Lord's dealing with the people of Israel, and settling them in the land of Canaan, Hab 3:3 and there being several things awful in this account, both with respect to the judgments of God on his enemies, and the conflicts and trials of his own people, it greatly affected the mind of the prophet, Hab 3:16 and yet, in the view of the worst, he expresses his strong faith in the Lord, as to better times and things, that would most assuredly come, Hab 3:17.

John Gill's Exposition of the whole Bible.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

sealacamp

Jun 26, 2008
Fairburn Georgia
✟2,331.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 This prayer was sung by the prophet Habakkuk[a]: 2 I have heard all about you, Lord.
I am filled with awe by your amazing works.
In this time of our deep need,
help us again as you did in years gone by.
And in your anger,
remember your mercy.
3 I see God moving across the deserts from Edom,[b]
the Holy One coming from Mount Paran.[c]
His brilliant splendor fills the heavens,
and the earth is filled with his praise.
4 His coming is as brilliant as the sunrise.
Rays of light flash from his hands,
where his awesome power is hidden.
5 Pestilence marches before him;
plague follows close behind.
6 When he stops, the earth shakes.
When he looks, the nations tremble.
He shatters the everlasting mountains
and levels the eternal hills.
He is the Eternal One!

It helps to read it in the current days language instead of an outdated language that we no longer speak or fully understand.

Sealacamp

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums