Opinions about television and internet evangelists and preachers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've got to be honest that I find many of these a rather mixed bunch and I am often inclined to think that many of these are not necessarily genuine, or committed in what they have to say at all. Some of the seem to serve up a mixture of truth, mixed with things which sort sound quite convincing, but as you think about it you are much less convinced.

Very many of these people seem to be appearing on various different, so called Christian shows where the object seems to be to sell books and tapes to a wide audience. Books, tapes and broadcasts seem to be pushing various modern day prophecies and even promoting one particular presidential candidate as God's choice.

It very often seems to fit with the scriptures which they quote and kind of make some sense and even sounds right, but is any of this truely of God, or not. Some of these people seem very confident and polished in their performances, but there's something which is just too well polised and well presented to feel right.

God's own people are not usually well polished, larger than life people and they are not usually putting on a performance.

Opinions?

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I've got to be honest that I find many of these a rather mixed bunch and I am often inclined to think that many of these are not necessarily genuine, or committed in what they have to say at all. Some of the seem to serve up a mixture of truth, mixed with things which sort sound quite convincing, but as you think about it you are much less convinced.

Very many of these people seem to be appearing on various different, so called Christian shows where the object seems to be to sell books and tapes to a wide audience. Books, tapes and broadcasts seem to be pushing various modern day prophecies and even promoting one particular presidential candidate as God's choice.

It very often seems to fit with the scriptures which they quote and kind of make some sense and even sounds right, but is any of this truely of God, or not. Some of these people seem very confident and polished in their performances, but there's something which is just too well polised and well presented to feel right.

God's own people are not usually well polished, larger than life people and they are not usually putting on a performance.

Opinions?
There are varied temperaments. Some of these people would be successful in anything they undertook. Some are so obviously charlatans and so unbiblical that I wonder how anyone can stomach them. As the Bible says, Charm is deceitful. That applies to men as well as women.

Just as there are fake preachers, there will always be people who fall for their deceits. It's sad but plainly true.

Some of these people started out well. The great trap for the successful is spiritual pride. They seem to think that they are above everyone else. They make the dictator's mistake and close out anyone who dares to disagree with them. So they can easily go into error and no one will challenge them.

When I was a very young Christian, I went to every meeting and conference that I could. I heard a lot of preachers, usually someone of great repute. Every now and then, one would stand out. There was something indefinable about them. They preached from the same Bible yet their message always seemed too short. Others seemed way too long.

I asked the Lord to make me one of the different ones. I called them the "shining ones" because that's how they seemed to me. Years later, a complete stranger asked me if I was a pastor. At the time, my marriage had folded and I was a mess. I said no. She said, "You shine." I mumbled something incoherent and went home.

I now know the difference between the forgettable and those you long to hear more from. It's so simple that most people miss it. It is Jesus. Let me explain.

When we are born again, it is as if we go back to the garden of Eden. You will recall that there were two trees. For brevity I will call them knowledge and Life. Most Christians are drawn to knowledge. Starting out, I got into God's word with great enthusiasm. I studied different versions, followed the cross references until I lost track of where I started and enjoyed every moment. I've always had great curiosity and a thirst for knowledge - as long as it had nothing to do with school work. I applied that zeal to the Bible.

The problem for me was that it wasn't working. I knew a whole lot but I was not showing any fruit. I needed something else, or so I thought. The Bible says that knowledge puffs up and I was becoming a bag of air. How did that change? Answer: failure.

I managed to mess up most things that I touched. Work, friendships, ministry and eventually marriage, all fell apart. I was crying out for breakthrough. I knew something was missing but I could not figure it out. And that was exactly the problem. Christianity is not a matter of logic, reason and deep learning. Christianity is Christ in us and us in Christ.

Some Christians bypass Knowledge and head for Life. Some have tried the knowledge route and been disillusioned. I met someone who was not an intellectual. He sought life above knowledge. He knew his Bible inside out, but he was one of the shining ones. He knew Lord Jesus as if they'd been to school together and were best of mates. He led me to the realisation that there was nothing wrong with me. I did not need a breakthrough. Lord Jesus secured the perfect salvation for us, so good that even I could not mess it up.

At that point I realised that Lord Jesus is really my life. He had been living in me for decades, but I had not been living in Him. The woman saw me so broken that Lord Jesus could shine through me. But there was still a long way to go. I did not know why He shone through me.

So now I know that it is no longer I but Christ. I read it countless times but I never knew what it meant. Now I do. Does that make me special? Not at all. If anything, I regret that it took me so long to come to my senses. God's word could not be clearer. I found countless ways to nullify God's word and at great cost to myself and others.

I have come to the place that the Bible calls "the knowledge of the truth". It's what God wants for everyone. If we seek him, we will find Him. God answered my prayer of decades before. What He did for me He can do for anyone.

Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some of the seem to serve up a mixture of truth, mixed with things which sort sound quite convincing, but as you think about it you are much less convinced.
Yes, I would say there are preachers who can preach part what is true, right along with stuff which is not with it. But local church people, too, can be getting a part-truth, part-not-truth thing with their local church pastors. But if their local part-message is different than what they hear from TV preachers, they can suppose the TV people are wrong - - right while they themselves are inbreeding with each other in their own incorrect or incomplete stuff.

Ones can be so busy with congratulating themselves about how they are the ones who are right . . . in comparison with other groups of people. The TV groups might compare and compete with other TV groups and locals, while locals can compare and compete with TV people or other more local groups and denominations. But here is what our Apostle Paul says >

"For we dare not class ourselves or compare ourselves with those who commend themselves. But they, measuring themselves among themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise." (2 Corinthians 10:12)

I consider how in the Book of Revelation John gives a message to each of the seven churches. Each church gets a different message; and for each church John gives criticism and/or praise which goes for pretty much every member of that local church. How is it, that everyone in a given locality can be all wrong or all right, in the same way, and this is different than in other churches?

Well, my opinion is that each local church group of people can tend to be unified with each other. Like I have offered, ones in a same group can inbreed with one another, getting the same basic overall result for their group. Of course, their unity might lie in how they are able to argue with each other and keep an atmosphere of bitterness, even . . . in that sort of unity. Or their unity might be in putting on the same show of beliefs and traditions with one another.

So, then, our unity needs to be mainly in how we are becoming and loving like Jesus, spiritually and emotionally and how we are submitting to and pleasing God and discovering how He has us relating.

You might consider how Jesus in His Sermon on the Mount first gave attention to how to be . . . not what to believe, not only what to do >

"poor in spirit"

"merciful"

"meek"

"pure in heart"

The real truth of God's message is not really, then, what we think correctly and practice, but the truth of God's word is how we become in our character so we can live the way God means for us to live His word in His love. And so, how Jesus Himself in us effects our character is our truth that we need.

So, a measuring stick of any ministry and relationship is if someone is ministering to us this grace which matures us in how Jesus is and has us loving while pleasing our Father. So, I would say that how God in His grace effects us is the truth of His word.

Upvote 0

keiw

Jan 8, 2022
upstate, ny
✟2,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

Opinions?

Ear ticklers seeking $$$$

Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ear ticklers seeking $$$$

Yes, I guess so. I really don't like people seeking to make the gospel into a polished performance. There is a very big difference between being humble and not seeking to push oneself forward and seeking to give God the pre-eminance. If God does not come first, then where does He come?

Reactions: keiw
Upvote 0

Joy

May 21, 2004
B'ham
✟1,403,923.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MOD HAT ON

After Staff Review

This Thread
is Now
Permanently Closed

RV: The Junk Drawer Statement of Purpose

No topics about the theology of any religion are allowed in this forum. Theological topics must be started in their appropriate forums.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.