[OPEN] Who has been your greatest influence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SumTinWong

Living with BPD
Apr 30, 2004
In a house
Visit site
✟17,886.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Who has been the biggest influence in your life?
This is hard for me (I know what you are thinking, then why did you ask the question?) but I guess I would have to say my wife has been the biggest influence.

Until I met my wife, I felt worthless, and alone. I never knew what it meant to be loved, or to love. I never knew what a friend could be, and I never knew what it would be like to not have to pretend to be something I wasn't.

I dunno if I could explain it right but unless I met her I might never have looked to God, and I know I would be dead or in prison. Since I met her life has new meaning, and for the past twelve years I have grown more than in the first twenty six.

Have you told them?
I try to bt I am not sure she understands what an influence she truly is to me. Perhaps i am inadequate in how I communicate things, but hopefully she knows.

Are you inspired to be an influence because of them?
Yeah. I think that everyday i wake up with a purpose. While I am forever thinking of ways to be be a better follower of Christ I am also thinking of ways i can be a better husband. I guess I want to learn to be like my wife. Sounds wierd i am sure, but she far the better person than I could ever hope to be, but every day I get the chance is a good day.

Hope that wasn't too sappy ;)

Upvote 0

RedneckAnglican

Once again...the Outsyder...
Feb 5, 2005
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
✟20,899.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
my mother...y'all have to understand I was adopted by my Grandmother (of course my biological mother was also adopted so you can imagine what this does to my family tree)...She was a loving woman who turned no one down for anything...I remember hearing her in the kitchen doing her morning devotionals...I could always hear her; she read quietly, but not that quiet...she raised over 14 members of my family without ever having a child of her own...If she didn't go to heaven than I might as well give up now...

Reactions: SumTinWong
Upvote 0

Colabomb

I seek sin like a moth towards flame, save me God.
Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My biggest influence, non-Divine influence that is, would probably be a combination of my parents. They raised me with a love of God, that though at times misguided theologically, gave me firm ground on which to stand. They have taught me values, both religious and secular that I believe will guide me well through life. And they have taught me that it may get tough, but God provides.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This is hard for me (I know what you are thinking, then why did you ask the question?) but I guess I would have to say my wife has been the biggest influence.

Until I met my wife, I felt worthless, and alone. I never knew what it meant to be loved, or to love. I never knew what a friend could be, and I never knew what it would be like to not have to pretend to be something I wasn't.

I dunno if I could explain it right but unless I met her I might never have looked to God, and I know I would be dead or in prison. Since I met her life has new meaning, and for the past twelve years I have grown more than in the first twenty six.

I wanted to highlight this, because I think it points to a real life example of the fact that popular wisdom isn't always applicable to every person or circumstance. I don't know how many times I've heard people tell other people that "You'll never be happy with someone else until you're happy by yourself" or something along those lines, but the fact of the matter is, that while such might be advice that is accurate for some people, it obviously doesn't apply to everyone. Here we see that Uncle Bud wasn't very fulfilled prior to meeting his wife and then he was. That wouldn't be true for a lot of people, but it was for him.

So, maybe the next time we think might be tempted to apply popular wisdom as gospel truth when giving folks advice, we might want to take a step back and think that maybe what might be true for most isn't true of all. I know that throughout my life I've been hammered with "popular wisdom" on love and a zillion other subjects and people have really started to pile on and aggressively force their point of view on me even though I've known it wasn't right for me and in some cases later it has even been proven through subsequent events that it wasn't right for me.

Now, of course, for me it turns out that I may well have a form of high-functioning autism that I'm going to be tested for coming up, so my brain may truly function very differently from everyone else's (Making me only a one or two in a thousand exception), but we see with Uncle Bud a fairly typical person for whom the popular wisdom also didn't apply. We're all individuals and we're all unique and I really think the world would be a much better place if more people took that to heart.

I try to bt I am not sure she understands what an influence she truly is to me. Perhaps i am inadequate in how I communicate things, but hopefully she knows.

Have you thought about printing out your post and showing it to her? I thought that expressed your feelings in a very romantic sentimental way and, since it's already typed, it might be easier than telling her, if you're unable to find the words. You know her, though, and I don't, so I guess you'd be the only one here who would have a truly good idea of how she might take that. Most women I've met would love to see something like that from their boyfriends or spouses, though.

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Great thread, Uncle Bud, and wonderful tributes by those who have posted. :bow:

I would have to say my late father. He died when I was 31 - 22 year ago - but he was such a wonderful example of what a Christian should be. He was a very gentle and kind man who was always helping others in very quiet ways. He wasn't afraid to show his feelings, always kissing us and telling us he loved us.

My older son was only 8 when his Papa died, but they had spent a lot of time together, and my son now has much of that same wonderful character, praise God.

Mary

Upvote 0

SumTinWong

Living with BPD
Apr 30, 2004
In a house
Visit site
✟17,886.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A great start everyone.

Fish and Bread, thank you for the kind words and I think you captured exactly what I feel. I was alone my whole life and I thought I was fine, but as it turns out, I was meant for more. Isn't for everyone though as you pointed out. By the way I am a rehab aide and work with some autistic people everyday, with most of them being brilliant at one thing or another :)

Great stories as I said, and it is great to see so many people influenced in a positive way by family members.

I must say that here a few people have influenced me to go deeper and Mary of Bethany as at times made me think twice about what i believe, and was for me a bright spot in TAW. As well as Orthodoxy USA and Oblio, who if they didn't challenge me I might never have been happy in a church.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Fish and Bread, thank you for the kind words and I think you captured exactly what I feel. I was alone my whole life and I thought I was fine, but as it turns out, I was meant for more.

I think that many folks are like that, wired so that they're happiest when they have special opposite gendered companionship. It really shouldn't come as a surprise when we stop and think about it. Whether one believes in evolution where there is a survival incentive for people to instinctually seek out a pair bond or whether one believes in the literal biblical account of woman being made for man, it makes sense that for many a relationship would geniunely increase their quality of life (Though of course there are also many exceptions).

That's what makes this widespread post-modern idea that people are only happy and fulfilled in relationships if they're happy and fulfilled by themselves first so baffling to me. Actually, it's baffling on a number of levels. Beyond the obvious, I also have to question why someone who was perfectly happy and fulfilled on their own would seek out companionship in the first place. If I were perfectly happy and fulfilled on my own, I'd do everything I could to perserve that status rather than making a radical life change that could make things worse. For the most part, people seek relationship because they feel, even if only subconciously in some instances, some sense of discontent with the way things are and that a relationship is what they're missing. Sometimes, finding a spouse doesn't make them happy because they also have other issues, but for others a spouse is genuinely what is missing.

I think we do people a disservice when we tell them that they can't possibility be right about desiring a spouse and that it isn't really what they want. Sometimes a spouse is exactly what they need.

Upvote 0

karen freeinchristman

More of You and less of me, Lord!
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Great points made, John. I think it takes relationships for us to have a sense of our own identity. In a theological sense, this can even be related to the Trinity, and the relationships between the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

SumTinWong

Living with BPD
Apr 30, 2004
In a house
Visit site
✟17,886.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If I were perfectly happy and fulfilled on my own, I'd do everything I could to perserve that status rather than making a radical life change that could make things worse.
What is ironic about that statement is you mentioned you may be diagnosed with Autism, and what is the stereotypical autistic person supoosed to be like? Rain man. A loner. But in reality many autistic people are like what you just stated.

It is sad that perception is 9/10ths of reality today even when that perception is screwed up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
My biggest influence, non-Divine influence that is, would probably be a combination of my parents. They raised me with a love of God, that though at times misguided theologically, gave me firm ground on which to stand. They have taught me values, both religious and secular that I believe will guide me well through life. And they have taught me that it may get tough, but God provides.

How can you say that? You know your mom did all the work. Your dad just stumbles along and ends up smelling like a rose. Without your mom, your dad is worthless.

My wife is probably the greatest influence over the past 20 years.

As a youngster:
My greatest influence would have to be my mother, and my cousin Jim. Mom worked 2 jobs her whole life. She refused to give up. Jim stepped in for my absent father and provided the male influence I needed. Without him who knows what prison I would have ended up in, and why. (no kidding I was a very bad guy)
But there were several second places that also played a major role, People like both of my grandmothers, Grandpa, Mary Margaret Gerlach (my confimation sponsor) Sister Nadine Overbeck (my Godmother and personal nun) Father (then seminarian) Jay Horan. Football coaches, and the recently departed Papa Joe Hayes (My Karate Instructor) who let mom know he would be sure to kick my .... well you know, if I ever got too much for her to handle.
I could go on. The point is that many people touch our lives. Hopefully we too can touch others.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What is ironic about that statement is you mentioned you may be diagnosed with Autism, and what is the stereotypical autistic person supoosed to be like? Rain man. A loner. But in reality many autistic people are like what you just stated.

One thing that often isn't taken into account with autistics is that oftentimes I'd imagine that they in part wind up being loners because they have too many misunderstandings with neurotypical people. A lot of folks naturally always think of things like whether your married or single, isolated or surrounded by people, and so forth as being by choice, but there's not always much in the way of choice about it.

Imagine being in a world full of people who's very thought processes are alien to you and to whom your very thought processes are alien. Then imagine further that these people who are different shape the common culture and the structure of society. Think of all the times people would completely miss the point you're trying to make and you'd completely miss there's. Think of the difficulities you'd have trying to integrate yourself into an alien social structure designed to really only be understood by and be accessible to people who have a naturally different pattern of thought and perception. One would almost have to be a genius just to be able to do the minimum to understand the basics of why the people around them behave as they do and how to navigate their system, the latter being genuinely impossible in many cases. That is the world a lot of autistics face.

Then, add to that, the fact that neurotypical people are generally biologically driven to force people who are different to comform to normal behavior patterns and, if that fails, shun them. That's instinctual behavior we can trace back since well before the dawn of human history. So autistic children often get taunted and teased and beat up in school and then as adults told they must do things they can't do and why can't they just think and behave like everyone else, by the people who choose not to just ignore them altogether.

I actually think that if there were a society of autistics and we stuck a few random "normal" people in there, the neurotypicals would actually wind up not understanding the system and generally being considered loners who can't be successful in life also -- because the societal system would be designed for people so unlike them and they'd be surrounded by people so unlike them that it would be nearly impossible for them to navigate.

I'm not entirely sure that world would be worse than the one we have now. It would be interesting to see how it might operate. The one thing that jumps immediately to mind is that there would be nearly no lies because so many autistics are incapable of falsehood and are very literal and straightforward in the way they behave.

Anyhow, all of this is not to say that autistics don't have a natural disposition to be less social than most people. I'd imagine they probably do -- and research on infants and very young children bares this out. But they are also have reasons beyond what their condition itself dictates (Such as being overwhelmed by a lot of chaos one might find in say, parties, large social gatherings, other people in general, or being thoughtful contemplative people who are content to engage in deep thought and sort of draw back from what is going on around them) not to be social and also to learn to like not being social. I mean, almost anyone who has ever been unpopular probably has some experience with accilimating to solitary activities to a certain extent -- imagine how much stronger this would be if the world in general seemed a confusing and overwhelming crazy sort of place and everyone seemed to hate you, plus you had natural inclinations towards wanting routine and stability and predictability that real people don't often offer.

If an infant felt touch was overwhelming and hated change and unpredictability, couldn't even an adult randomly reaching in a crib making strange baby noise and randomly poking and prodding seem more like an attack than comforting? That's the sort of problem autistics face from literally the beginning of their lives. Things that other people like such as fun surprises and random touch are perceived as almost unbearable torture.

Autistics also tend to have a few obsessive interests and not really be able to generate much interest in anything else at times. People don't understand and tend to say "Why can't you just stop doing ___ and focus on ____?" not as a question, but as a criticism, whereas to an autistic it's the most naturally thing in the world to be enveloped in an obsessive interest to the detriment of doing things that a neurotypical would find easy and an autistic would find impossible.

The specific type of autism I might have is called Asperger's Syndrome, which is considered a type of high-functioning autism. I am getting formally tested for it in the next couple weeks. Because it's so high-functioning, I can pass as normal in a causal conversation, and I've made it into my twenties before it was discovered. But my life is beginning to make a lot more sense as a result. I've always at some level understood that I perceive the world in a different way and couldn't function normally in some respects, but I could never understand why and all of the sudden it just begins to click.

Anyhow, more to the point, interestingly, I actually made a major point of finding a wife, spending about five years searching very aggressively, to where it was the main goal and dream I had in life. I could never quite figure out why it was so hard for me to find any success at it, exactly. I could point to various reasons and say, hey, maybe I'm not good looking or weigh too much or don't have enough money or have too many physical health problems or whatever, but then I'd see an ugly guy without the use of his legs or something (Which is a much worse physical disability than anything I suffer) on tv who found a spouse kind of randomly and it just wouldn't make sense.

But why was it that I'd have to find 1,000 people to talk to on the Internet with the intent of maybe dating and I might get one to agree to go out with me out of that bunch? Why did all my actual relationships eventually fail for reasons I couldn't determine? I literally would date a girl exclusively for a long time, we'd speak of marriage, and then all of sudden things would immediately fall apart and I would always be the one dumped. I thought, geez, I'm really honest and predictable and loyal and forthright, shouldn't women love that? But apparently people like surprises and chaos and small little social lies that I just couldn't manage, or might have hinted at things I couldn't pick up on because even as a high-functioning autistic I wouldn't be able to grasp subtle implications in a lot of social behavior.

Not that it makes the fact that I had to give up on finding a wife any less sad, but I guess it's neat to know that by having so many long term relationships of a serious nature, I was actually way overachieving for an autistic rather than being a mysteriously underachieving normal person. It makes me sad, though, because finding a wife was really my only true dream or ambition in life and it's just not to be. Somehow it doesn't seem right that I couldn't find that. But I've done everything I know how to do and so that was pretty much that. I certainly explored a large enough sample size to pretty much know.

I'm really a romantic in my own way, and fortunately I'm very affectionate in relationships (In contrast to everything else -- I actually went from about the age of 9 to 19 without any physical contact with a human being because I hated hugs and handshakes and such, though I would pet and wrestle with my dog occasionally, but for some reason I am very different when it comes to women of the opposite gender, which is definitely a good thing, I was pleasantly surprised at my ability to enjoy cuddling and kissing and so forth). Maybe that's one area where I am not autistic, interestingly, but in a sense that's more a curse than a blessing if I can't find a spouse. Unfortunately it seems I'm just autistic enough not to enjoy dating lots of different people and switching back and forth -- I genuinely just wanted to date one person and marry her, I found the change and so forth of adjusting to new people constantly very difficult when I was actively looking for a spouse and having to find someone new periodically after I'd get dumped.

Upvote 0

SumTinWong

Living with BPD
Apr 30, 2004
In a house
Visit site
✟17,886.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Asperger's Syndrome"
I am very aware of AS. My wife is an Occupational Therapist and one of her roles at her former job was to evaluate kids and adults for AS. There are so many great resources out there about AS but unless you know someone who has it you are not likely to know anything about it. In fact after reading about it myself I am convinced that I if I was tested today I would be told that I have it. Which made me feel better actually because I didn't feel so alone with how I felt anymore which is ironic isn't it?

I cannot tell you how many of the same traits we share. Hang in there, and if you need any resources or whatever let me know and I will have my wife (Karen) get in touch with you.

Anyway if anyone here is interested in what AS is:
http://www.aspergers.com/

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
"Asperger's Syndrome"
I am very aware of AS. My wife is an Occupational Therapist and one of her roles at her former job was to evaluate kids and adults for AS. There are so many great resources out there about AS but unless you know someone who has it you are not likely to know anything about it. In fact after reading about it myself I am convinced that I if I was tested today I would be told that I have it. Which made me feel better actually because I didn't feel so alone with how I felt anymore which is ironic isn't it?

I cannot tell you how many of the same traits we share. Hang in there, and if you need any resources or whatever let me know and I will have my wife (Karen) get in touch with you.http://www.aspergers.com/

Thanks. I have all the resources I need at this point, though. I was fortunate to be able to find a psychiatrist with a lot of Asperger's patients. She is viritually certain I have it, though she's referred me for testing to be sure.

Obviously, it's frustrating in the sense that I've struggled with dealing with the world around me my whole life and probably always will in terms of relationships, jobs (though I have a lot of physical issues that are really the nail in the coffin there), and so forth. Getting formally diagnosed will be helpful in the sense that it will confirm what I've always strongly suspected, though, that it's not my fault and that people really don't understand. Most people always thought I was being petulant by saying things like that or being bluntly honest or refusing to do things they thought should be easy or natural for me, but I knew I couldn't do things they could and that they couldn't see things the way I could, and that's being borne out here potentially. For a long time, many people were convinced that I was depressed because I hated social situations but of course actually with an autistic I could be perfectly happy and hate social situations, it's just the way my brain is designed, and I've always known that at some level. And it really isn't odd that I have such strong interests and yet can't get motivated to do things other people think I ought to (Not by choice, just by the way my brain is designed to operate).

I am fortunate in so far as that some of those traits I don't have or have been able to work around. I have an actual sense of humor (Though some would argue not a great one :)), I smile sometimes, and I have a deep steady Barry Whitesque voice (Well, maybe like his white cousin, anyhow. ;)) that if anything is more monotone than average versus modulating pitch. This have been helpful attributes when it comes to dating and such, not that that they have really been *that* helpful in so far as they didn't allow me to achieve my aim.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.