[OPEN]What is the biggest ethical issue facing the world today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilymarie

The love of heaven makes one heavenly -Shakespeare
Jun 15, 2006
In the here and now
✟12,370.00
Faith
Non-Denom
stumpjumper said:
Well, like the title says...

And what can we do together to help counteract this ethical dilemma(s)?

I haven't read this whole thread, but to pick the biggest perhaps may be ignorance, and ignorance that comes out of a place of tyrany (power), lust, and greed.

Whether it's children being sold into the sex slave industry in third world countries or war, and everything else in between, it stems from I believe the three issues above, but including ignorance.

I also think the internet in itself can be a bit of an unethical place, especially for young girls. It's become a breeding groud for pediphiles, even places like My Space are not safe for young girls. So I think women need to learn how to stay safe and ever watchful on the internet.

At lot stems from inappropriate contentography -- the sex is good to sell 'everything' mentality and the world has fallen into seeing with their eyes instead of their heart.

Another big issue facing our world today is between Christians, Jews, and Muslims.

Christians and Jews claim we are the seeds of Abraham through his son Isaac. Muslims claim they are the seeds of Abraham through his son Ishmael. So, if we are all seeds of Abraham... why not just co-exist (?)

What is so hard about the concept of all the seeds or "sons" of Abraham learning to co-exist.

It reminds me of that song "What Are We Fighting For?"

A huge ethical issue that I feel is not being addressed though is keeping the internet a safer place for our children.

How we can accomplish that is probably best again through educating our children about always being safe on the internet.

So, perhaps the biggest ethical issue could stem from ignorance, as well as power, lust and greed... I think all evil things are birthed from here.

So, we all need to educate ourselves.

I don't see any way that ignorance is bliss, except for tyrants who want to enslave their people. And why they want to do that? I have no idea.

But, as far as Christians, Jews and Muslims... we are all "sons" of Abraham... so we need to learn to co-exist.

(And, if some of you have never done a study on the seeds of Abraham through Isaac and Ishmael, let me know and I can explain through perhaps a thread in Christian Apologetics so you can understand this better.)

Upvote 0

LOVEthroughINTELLECT

The courage to be human
Jul 30, 2005
✟25,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
stumpjumper said:
[OPEN]What is the biggest ethical issue facing the world today?

And what can we do together to help counteract this ethical dilemma(s)?

Technology.

In almost every field--medicine, energy, agriculture, space exploration, communications, warfare, criminal justice, etc.--technological advances are creating ethical dilemas that few people are prepared to grapple with.

I guess that only rigorous philosophical and theological examination will clear everything up. That could take centuries, so in the meantime we could contain the problem by learning to depend less on technology.

Upvote 0

stumpjumper

Left the river, made it to the sea
Site Supporter
May 10, 2005
✟71,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LOVEthroughINTELLECT said:
Technology.

In almost every field--medicine, energy, agriculture, space exploration, communications, warfare, criminal justice, etc.--technological advances are creating ethical dilemas that few people are prepared to grapple with.

I guess that only rigorous philosophical and theological examination will clear everything up. That could take centuries, so in the meantime we could contain the problem by learning to depend less on technology.

Interesting. I've never even really looked at it that way... Have to think about that over some coffee...

Upvote 0

lilymarie

Jun 15, 2006
In the here and now
✟12,370.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Technology.

I thought this was really interesting, too. It reminded me of what J.R. Tolkein said; Tolkein said he believed the downfall of man would be the machine age, that's why one sees in The Lord of the Rings all the hammering and forging of bigger and better machines of steel, almost looking like an assembly plant of endless "forging" and "forging" for bigger and better control.

And definately technology is evolving too fast; it's evolving too fast for the comsumer to keep up, and it's created such terrible polution that has caused this global warming. I don't feel the people in charge (in the political power) are doing enough to address the issues of global warming. The lust for progress of technologies is draining our natural resources as well; our food chain has become polluted; our waters are poluted; our earth, our atmosphere.

Also, people need to educate themselves on the Stock Market and the greed that fuels and manipulates the Stock Market. People need to realize savvy investors make money when the stock market goes down as well as up. To make money in the stock market when things go down is called "shorting" the market. So the greed of the world manipulating stocks and commodity trading is very real. There is a lot of under-handed manipulation at the expense of human beings that is happening on Wall Street.

Also, what drove the housing market up so much was investers were trading properties like stocks somewhat like a pyramid scheme and it left people at the top with very high mortgages, now struggling. It also I am sure makes young couples even wonder if they can afford a home. Where I live it's about $500,000 for a fixer in a somewhat cruddy area of town with crime. Where I live with little crime, average housing is close to a million dollars for just a stupid house with a little bit of land! That's insane.

But the scriptures that stand out to me are:

(just paraphrased)

My people perish for lack of knowledge.

The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil.

Lust brings forth sin, and sin brings forth death.

I think coveting is a big issue in the world.

But I might think like Tolkein; it could be the coveting of power and this desire for control that brings forth evil. Far too many want "the ring". I think a lot of sin stems from what the world covets with it's eyes.

But very interesting post love through intellect, but what can we do to stop the monster of technology now. It's gotten way out of hand. And the machine age has definately ruined God's planet, called earth.

Upvote 0

*Starlight*

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time
Jan 19, 2005
Right in front of you *waves*
Visit site
✟133,073.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Personally, I think the biggest ethical issue is the lack of kindness and empathy towards each other in people's actions... I think that's the root of every other ethical issue.... I actually can't think of anything immoral which has nothing to do with the lack of empathy and kindness.

Upvote 0

lilymarie

Jun 15, 2006
In the here and now
✟12,370.00
Faith
Non-Denom
stumpjumper said:
:)

I agree. Having four kids and seeing God's love displayed in them makes me see abortion as much worse and something that needs to be addressed as the abotion rate only rises each passing year...

I think to combat the abortion rate is through abstainance teaching. However, even in most Christian churches I find parents are enabling their young adult children to have children and I don't see that as "beautiful" when teenagers trying to finish high school and prepare for the work force and are trying to take care of children at the same time. So, this has even become a norm in a lot of churches where couples living together and sex before marriage is not even much of a concern anymore in our society. A lot of Christian parents don't want to see their kids end up in divorcee, so some even advocate living together before marriage to "make sure they get along" before deciding too marry.

Also, the Bible says if one doesn't provide for their own and especially the members of their own household, they have denied the faith and are worse than an unbeliever. I don't think God wants children born out of just sex into starvation as in some of these 3rd World countries. I think it is much more merciful to have third world countries know if they cannot provide for children, they should go on birth control. I see nothing beautiful about starving to death.

So, I don't see abortion as the biggest issue; I see lack of education regarding this the bigger issue.

Also, we have lots of problems in America with the elderly heading towards a bankrupt Social Security system, so perhaps the churches need to learn to start taking care of some of these issues because the America government certainly has apathy towards it's own and is not addressing the issues of the people who are here and need help. We need to focus on the people who are here and try to meet their needs instead of letting the elderly eat cat food and have no heat in the winter time!

Children are wonderful, but a couple needs to plan ahead financially not just for children but for how they are going to take care of their elderly as well.

Also, as far as 3rd world countries, I see they have a greater need for education first before the need for children. They need to have education, and work systems need to be set up in those countries before more babies are birthed just to starve to death.

Edit in: Here's 1 Tim 5

7Give the people these instructions, too, so that no one may be open to blame. 8If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

I think this is a good enough reason to have birth control, and for Third World countries to head towards education and job programs first before children.

Upvote 0
D

Dungbeetle

Technology.

Yes, I often wonder how different the world would be if the aeroplane had never been invented.....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
NewGuy101 said:
I'm more conserned with issues regarding the church. If we have a mess in the inside how can we possible help the world through all other issues such as hunger, abortion..ect
So in tbe Church we're overrun with adultery, split up families, kids tossed from pillar to post like unwanted pets, people defrauding one another, lying, back-biting, and general meanness, but the biggest problem with in Church is homosexuality? The only thing I see there is that the queers want their favorite sin to be declared officially unsinful, while the adulterers and fornicators and liars and cheats and what-have-you are content to have their sins ignored.

Upvote 0

intricatic

...a dinosaur... or something...
Aug 5, 2005
Ohio
✟58,189.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
OD3 said:
The biggest problem in the world today is all the hatred between humans and different religious sects.

At best, it brings segregation. At worst, acts of terrorism.
Actually, in a different vein, but completely related concept, another of the biggest ethical problems facing the world today is this postmodern ideology that one cannot love a person while disagreeing with their philosophy/theology/religious system/etc...

This is something I've been hitting a lot lately, and it strikes me as absolutely baffling and ironic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lilymarie

Jun 15, 2006
In the here and now
✟12,370.00
Faith
Non-Denom
intricatic said:
Actually, in a different vein, but completely related concept, another of the biggest ethical problems facing the world today is this postmodern ideology that one cannot love a person while disagreeing with their philosophy/theology/religious system/etc...

This is something I've been hitting a lot lately, and it strikes me as absolutely baffling and ironic.

That's right. Love thy neighbor is a two-way street. Those of us who love the word of God and it's most holy deliverance need acceptance and love, too.

Upvote 0
intricatic said:

Yes. 100% agree with you. You should have complete love and respect for your fellow man regardless of religion of belief.

Religion and belief is a very personal thing, and should not be pushed on others. I follow this rule, and have many different friends from many different religions.

It gives you "perspective"

Upvote 0

intricatic

...a dinosaur... or something...
Aug 5, 2005
Ohio
✟58,189.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
OD3 said:
Yes. 100% agree with you. You should have complete love and respect for your fellow man regardless of religion of belief.

Religion and belief is a very personal thing, and should not be pushed on others. I follow this rule, and have many different friends from many different religions.

It gives you "perspective"
Well, that's sort of what I see a problem with right there. I don't push my faith on other people, but it's something that's deeply a part of who I am so it does tend to come up in conversation. I seem to be getting a lot of this negative animosity towards that fact, when all I'm interested in doing is having a conversation about it. What strikes me as ironic is the sheer vehemence the crowed that holds this postmodern ideology advocates it with. It's almost as if the fact that I disagree with a doctrine or religious ideology equates to my hating an individual who holds it. It's very confusing. :scratch:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.