Jan 28, 2002
✟2,915,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Si_monfaith, the articles at GotQuestions.org are often a great place to start researching a new topic. Here's what they have to say about Open Theism.

BTW, I don't believe this topic can be debated here, but it can be on the Controversial Topics board if that's what you'd like to do.

--David

Isaiah 46
9 "I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is no one like Me,
10 Declaring the end from the beginning,
And from ancient times things which have not been done,
Saying, ‘My purpose will be established,
And I will accomplish all My good pleasure.'"

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟159,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is open theism?
Google is your friend. Here is the Wiki article on the subject. The guys you need to read to understand Open Theism are Clark Pinnock, Gregory Boyd, and John Sanders.
Why many Arminians supposedly turn to open theism?
One of the more colloquial terms for Open Theism is "free will theism," so the affinity of synergists for that theological construct is understandable. It is worth noting the leading Arminian apologist Roger Olson is not a supporter of Open Theism. Here is an article he wrote explaining why he is not an open theist.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Let God alone answer through us
Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Google is your friend. Here is the Wiki article on the subject. The guys you need to read to understand Open Theism are Clark Pinnock, Gregory Boyd, and John Sanders.

One of the more colloquial terms for Open Theism is "free will theism," so the affinity of synergists for that theological construct is understandable. It is worth noting the leading Arminian apologist Roger Olson is not a supporter of Open Theism. Here is an article he wrote explaining why he is not an open theist.
Do arminians turn to open theism because they find God's exhaustive foreknowledge is not compatible with human freewill?

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟159,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure this discussion can be had if Open Theism is a restricted topic, Si. Neither am I sure I can explain the mind and motives of an Open Theist Arminian since I am not a subscriber of either perspective. I can articulate the respective theological positions and their overlaps because I have read quite a lot on both perspectives, including the source materials, but I believe the best way for you to understand is for you to do the work yourself. The works of Arminius can be found HERE (use the "Read online" tab and then use the tree button in the upper left-hand corner to negotiate the various articles). I encourage you especially to read Disputation 11 "On the Free Will of Man and Its Powers." The writings of current leading Arminian apologist Roger Olson and the leading Open Theists I mentioned can also easily be found online.

I'm not sure it is true "many Arminians supposedly turn to Open Theism," but I suspect those that do thusly turn do so because of either a lack of understanding of immutability or omniscience or because of an unintended or unwitting anthropomorphization of God.

According to the terms of use/forum rules Open Theism is considered a "controversial" topic and any discussion thereof is therefore restricted to the Controversial Christian Theology board. So I encourage you to repost your inquiry in that board where you and other participants will have greater liberty to discuss it.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0