• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

[open]Practice what you preach?

Discussion in 'Whosoever Will, May Come - Liberal' started by glo1, Apr 28, 2007.

1. glo1

glo1 Hier stehe ich. Ich kann nicht anders.

+151
    Christian
    Married
    Hi all

I came across this quote by DC Talk today, which really stuck with me. Any comments?

glo

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Tinker Grey

Tinker Grey Wanderer Supporter

+3,380
    Atheist
    I always liked that quote.

3. glo1

+151
    Christian
    Married
    Do you think it's true?

4. Athene

Athene Grammatically incorrect Supporter

+1,099
    Anglican
    Married
    UK-Labour
    Yes I do.

5. B®ent

B®ent Contender for the Faith

+191
    Calvinist
    Single
    US-Constitution

It is true, and there are two reasons for it. Firstly, the majority of professing Christians are not true Christians. Secondly, the majority of true Christians are not strong Christians. However, as a believer in perseverance of the Saints, I do believe nearly all true Christians will die strong Christians. Jesus does not begin a work which He does not intend to finish.

6. JulySheMustFly

JulySheMustFly Legend

+333
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    I remember that from years ago when I first started to follow Christ. It really struck me then. I'd say there is still truth to it but I think there is also a general misconception on what christian behavior looks like.

7. Loki

Loki Senior Veteran

+94
    Christian
    Married
    As a sort of atheist, I don't find that to be true. That's the reason people become disillusioned with Christianity, but as for atheism, it often has more to do with inability to see any reason for a "why" in the world than "those people are hypocrites."

8. Adammi

Adammi A Nicene Christian not in CF's Xians Only Club

+495
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I agree with the sentiment behind that quote. Christians who aren't "little Christs" do the Church more harm than anything else known to humans.

However, what it means to be a Christian is a question with various answers. A conservative Christian would say that conserving religious tradition, teaching, and practice is the key to being like Christ, while I would say the exact opposite.

Pat Robertson would agree with the above quote because he believes that liberal Christianity leads people to Atheism and John Shelby Spong would agree with that statement because he believes that conservative Christianity makes people reject Christianity altogether.

When you think about it, this is a very vague quote because I'm sure that every Christian agrees with it regardless of what end of the left-right spectrum he or she is on.

9. Tinker Grey

Tinker Grey Wanderer Supporter

+3,380
    Atheist
    Well, as Upon_This_Rock said, I agree with the sentiment.

But, I really don't think that that is the cause of atheism -- maybe a confirming factor, but not the cause.

I rather suspect that a pursuit of truth coupled with poor answers from so-called experts are more of cause than anything else.

But, I agree with the sentiment.

10. seebs

seebs God Made Me A Skeptic

+1,468
    Seeker
    Married
    US-Republican
    I think it is only partially true. In practice, the proximate causes are poor witness and bad apologetics, and a tendency to not really confront the underlying questions. Most Christians I know don't really have any clue what atheists believe (and vice versa).

That said, if Christians consistently practiced unconditional love and forgiveness, did their best at whatever jobs they held, and so on, I don't think there'd be any doubt in most peoples' minds that there was something to our beliefs and practices. As is, it's impossible to tell.

11. cfFosterANGEL26

cfFosterANGEL26 Guest

+0
    I think its part true,
    I know I have been hurt by more """christians""" then other people.

12. DarkProphet

DarkProphet Veteran

+60
    Humanist
    Private
    As a non-Christian I would say that is not the reason I'm a non-Christian but that is a BIG reason why I have problems with Christianity.

13. Tenebrae

Tenebrae A follower of The Way

+1,805
    Anglican
    Private
    That wasnt from my sig perchance? NM if it was

The church and its inhabitants, have dulled the awesome message of grace IMO, ask a non believer what comes to mind when you mention christian and you'd get a whole raft of answers from homophobs, gay haters, pro lifers, morals police, well I could go on. But you get the picture.

The church is more known for protesting the passing of civil unions, than it is known for going out and feeding the hungry. Words are cheap, and these people who are going out and making a song and dance about this that and the next thing, fail to realise that the world looks at them, and sees that what they preach does not equate with how they live out their life.

with all this debarcle lately about pro choice versus pro life. I wouldnt be of the pro life persuasion, if someone was to pay me a huge amount of money. I have been actively involved three times with pregnant women not aborting their babies, and either keeping the child, or given the child up for adoption.

(and for the record, this is not an example so ya all can look at me and go 'well isnt she swell', its to emphasis the point that IMH experience, being pro choice has far more impact in terms of stopping abortion than being pro life.

It drives me to distraction, there are a couple of really vocal churches in New Zealand, who are protesting about this, protesting about that, whinging that the government are a pack of social enginering naughty people. But when it actually comes to pratically making a difference these churches are no where to be seen.

14. glo1

+151
    Christian
    Married
    Wow. I go away for 24 hours, and this thread has taken off ... thank you for all your thoughts and comments! :wave:

I hadn't noticed it on your sig, wizeone ... never scrolled down far enough for that. :sorry:
    I came across it on one of DC Talk's songs on YouTube.

glo

15. FLANDIDLYANDERS

FLANDIDLYANDERS When I am slain may my corpse lie facing the Enemy

+261
    Other Religion
    Single
    Atheists are often Atheists because it makes sense to be.

Christians are sometimes Christians because we are told to be, it's comfortable, it's emotionally satisfying, we are lazy and pin responsibility for issues on the church or leaders....

In the days before it had that C-word label, would any of us have chosen it?

16. B®ent

+191
    Calvinist
    Single
    US-Constitution
    I have a question for those who agree with the quote (for the record, I agree with it). Do you believe you are beyond it, that you are better? That is the impression I receive from one comment in particular...

17. Adammi

Adammi A Nicene Christian not in CF's Xians Only Club

+495
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Very good question. That's the problem I see with this quote. It is often used as a means of pointing the finger at others instead of being a point of reflection to change our own lives.

18. B®ent

+191
    Calvinist
    Single
    US-Constitution
    Precisely.

I didn't see a problem with the quote itself, per se, but rather how some Christians react to it. They may not think the fundamentalist churches doing great things, but that is obviously because they have never been to a fundamentalist church. Just about every fundamentalist church I've been to (and heard of), including my own church, is very active in missionary work abroad, including building orphanages, schools, churches, etc.

As you said, stop pointing the finger at one group of Christians and examine our own lives. That is the point of the statement, I believe.

19. Tenebrae

Tenebrae A follower of The Way

+1,805
    Anglican
    Private
    Heck no..... Unlike many, I'm not delusional enough to think that I do have it all together or come remotely close to having it all together

Its just when people tell me that my point of view, is nonsense, or rubbish, I do like when possible giving an example of why its not...Its probably a bit on the fleshly side, axctually its probably alot on the fleshly side. However I get fed up to the back teeth, or fundamentalists, who like to tell me my viewpoint is nonsense, when its allowed me to be in many different places where God is moving in peoples life.

I can not find words enough to express the utter sense of privilege and amazingness, that even thoughI am so totally not having it altogether, God will and does continue to use me to make a difference in the lives of the people he puts across my path

20. JulySheMustFly

JulySheMustFly Legend

+333
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    No certainly not.