[OPEN] Philosophy, religion, science, and other fields of thought.

The Julikenz

God is not a misogynist
May 17, 2004
Sydney.
✟17,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What other fields of thought interest and influence you? What sort of impact does it have on your faith theologically, and practically? Have you explored other religions/philosophical stances before/after Christianity? Do you find knowledge in these areas grows and/or changes your faith, if so, how?

Everyone's contribution is welcome, I just ask that everyone please be open minded in participation. :)

Reactions: Rick Otto

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pay him for the pizza!^_^

Juli,
I had a lot of exposure to psychology. I think it helped articulate problems in a way that made them more understandable. The same problems that the Bible addresses, but in terms that I'm more familiar with.
Of course there's the problem of limited correlation of terms and some completely twisted notions in some areas of the different disciplines & schools of thought.
I take a "Know Your Neighborhood" policy toward world religions etc., as a way of reducing "The Unknown" & the resulting, reflexive fear thereof.

Upvote 0

Adammi

A Nicene Christian not in CF's Xians Only Club
Sep 9, 2004
✟26,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This is a very interesting idea for a thread. I hope that it gets a lot of responses.
I learn a lot from various Christian groups. I'm a very jumbled up Christian being that I have learned so much from Catholics, Orthodox, Pentecostals, Calvinists, Fundamentalists, Liberal, Evangelicals, etc.
So, I would definitely say that I learn a lot from various Christian schools of thought, but I also believe that other religions have certain elements of truth.
Though I haven't actually mirrored any of their spirituality in my own life I think that part of Buddhist, Jewish, and Pagan thoughts are very much applicable to Christian life to some degree.

Upvote 0

Multi-Elis

Senior Veteran
Jul 6, 2003
Paris
Visit site
✟17,911.00
Faith
Christian
What other fields of thought interest and influence you? What sort of impact does it have on your faith theologically, and practically? Have you explored other religions/philosophical stances before/after Christianity? Do you find knowledge in these areas grows and/or changes your faith, if so, how?
My areas of interest and influece are: Psychology, Philosophy, Sociology, NearDeathExpériencers (NDE), Creativity self-helpers, Positive thinking self-helpers and to a minor degree history, economics, anatomy, etc.
The biggest influece on me were the NDEs. It's their fault that I became a heretic. Paradoxically, it is they who contributed to my agnostisism. (Paradoxically, because they most often experience God). I don't want to say that everything that NDEs say should be taken as litteral truth. In fact the death experience tends to take the colors of a person's core beliefs, or the opposite of a person's core beliefs. (example: a pessimist who sees an optimistic point of view. A narcissist who becomes a fanatic server of God) I tend to take NDE testamonies as myths/metaphores of schools of thought and of philosophy. So it is easier for me to understand certain schools of thought, because I have read an emotional symbolical explenation of it. It's these school's of thought that I take seriously. Not as litteral truth, but as world views to ponder.
Philosophy both strengthens and kills my faith. And I think this tention is very healthy. Neitzche convinced me of how possible it is that manythings are just fairy tales made up that may not corréspond to anything. Kierkegaard would find that very good: because true faith, according to him, cannot really exist without doubt.
Creative-self help books and positive thinking books have really challenged me: on the one hand they encourage trusting in God, having faith in Him, believing that God wants us to succeed. Yet at the same time they seem not at all interested in finding out the truth, only in finding out what works and fulfills them. For them, the truth is found in what works. So for them it isn't contradictory. Yet still....
Psychology made me more introspective. Which sometimes makes psychological problems worse! (It's best to solve your problems with distance and moderation)
All these things I descovered after being a christian. They both kill my faith and deepen it. If you don't want to be a heretic, don't read what I read. If you don't want to find yourself faced with difficult questions, don't read what I read. Sometimes I don't even know if I can still call myself a christian. But the drive to search, the drive for authenticity have been so strong in me prefering to stay the way I was was the harder way, even though the way I'm on is harder. Curiosity killed the cat, and satisfaction brought it back.

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our World Religions teacher started us out with anthropology & archeology information, and walked us chronologicaly up thru history with the philosophies & religions.
I remember Kierkegaard was the existentialist that had Christian hope instead of the usual atheism, nihlism, agnosticism, or just plain depression & madness that amoral existentialism seemed to lead to.
I read Jean Paul Sarte's "No Exit" and Carl Jung's "Man & His Symbols" in my "spare" time Sophmore year.
My brother was gettin' his B.S. in Psychology in the early seventies, under B.F. Skinner, the "fathr" of Biological Determinism, & author of "Beyond Freedom & Dignity". Criminaly wierd.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stumpjumper

Left the river, made it to the sea
Site Supporter
May 10, 2005
✟71,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
True^

My philosophy is existentialist... My faith is Christian...

Because of my faith, I have turned towards meaning and hope...

I find Kierkegaard's "radical uncertainty" all around me though...

ETA: My college degree is also in Psychology :D

Upvote 0

Abbadon

Self Bias Resistor - goin' commando in a cassock!
Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm becoming fond of psychology (bit of analytical and humanistic, not too fond of behavioralism), Taoism, Neo-platonics, Mithraism, and Zoroastrianism (not Zurvanism or the more dualistic schools).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Julikenz

God is not a misogynist
May 17, 2004
Sydney.
✟17,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm very interested in theater: particularly expressionism and theater of the absurd, as by nature they react against realism to make a realistic commentary on humanity. I'm particularly influenced by plays written between the 1920's-40s, they make such profound observations on society. I find the study of history to be fascinating, particular the ancient societies and religions - how humanity differs today, and how it is the same. I'm hugely interested in Psychology (geared towards humanities and culture), I plan to study it closely after I finish my courses this year.

I'm more concerned about "the bigger picture" - the world and how it's changing, human behavior - what's cultural and what's universal, how societies function and why things happened the way they did. I believe that understanding is the key to administering, you cannot calm a cry you do not understand, you can't feed a mouth with empty hands, you can't serve a community you know nothing about.

My faith has also been challenged a lot by longing for understanding, I've found myself rejecting fundamentalism for a more relaxed theological position, understanding that some things are just unknowable, and complete history is rather impossible to reconstruct. Through absorbing knowledge of the past, and recognizing that the mistakes we made then are the mistakes we're making now, I'm finding more grace and mercy for other people, having a better idea about what they're up against - their own mortality, their political/socia/economic status, etc. I also rejected my conservative beliefs for similar reasons, they don't embody the grace of Jesus for the suffering of others. In fact, my position now, politically and socially is quite similar to the I held before converting to Christianity. :)

I tend to ascribe to some of the more controversial doctrines of Christianity, I accept theistic evolution and much of Science that could be seen as conflicting with biblical doctrine. for I'm quite interested in Philosophy, I've had a few existential crisis (what's the plural for crisis? ;)) which have left me thinking a whole lot about nihilism and deconstructionism. I've found myself wondering more and more about Ecclesiastes and and position of Theistic Agnosticism.

So many things influence my thoughts and faith, I can't even begin to nail it all down.

Protinus said:
Samuel Beckett
I love you, JP! :kiss: Notably: Waiting for Godot is one of my favorite absurdist plays.

stumpjumper said:
True^

My philosophy is existentialist... My faith is Christian...

Because of my faith, I have turned towards meaning and hope...

I find Kierkegaard's "radical uncertainty" all around me though...

ETA: My college degree is also in Psychology :D
Haha, you rock SJ! What area of Psych did you get your degree in?

P.S. I'm really enjoying reading this thread. :tutu:

Reactions: Joykins
Upvote 0

stumpjumper

Left the river, made it to the sea
Site Supporter
May 10, 2005
✟71,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Wings

On the accepting of evolution, I would say that a consistent position from theistic evolution is some form of a Kierkegaardian existentialism simply because of the view of God that it posits... The only theology that sets out to explain evolution is process theology for the most part and once you go there your view of God radically changes...

I still hold to standard Christian beliefs such as the Trinity etc and have always accepted them on faith but when it comes to human responsibility it makes a lot of sense... I just see grace as existing over and above of human freedom and responsibility...

Faith is a turn from nihilism towards meaning in an uncertain existence...

My degree was in Psychology and Business... No focus on the Psych...

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Everyone's contribution is welcome, I just ask that everyone please be open minded in participation. :)

philosophy is becoming a huge influence on my own faith.

i have interest to study other religions right now but i'm so behind on all my books about philosophy, Christian books, Christian history to start some new series of books about other religion is something i'm waiting on for now, but it is something i plan on studying.

i appreciate other opposing/differing sides. it helps to understand our humanity better in my opinion. and it also helps to be able to still believe but be more grounded. understanding opposing sides, even if both sides agree about things off and on. there are things i can agree with atheistic philosophy and there are things i'm not able to agree with either.

so currently, philosophy is a huge interest of mine and a supplement for the faith. whether it be philosophers like Soren Kierkgearrd(sp?) to the likes of Jean-Paul Sartre.

then there's music but that's more on a personal level for myself. some bands may have spiritual reasons behind them, but a lot of the time, it's more of a personal thing.

Upvote 0