North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's this Sunday, on Matthew 5:1-16 (The placement church I'm at doesn't use the lectionary.)

I'm only posting this because some people were curious about it. Those of you who are experienced preachers, go easy on me! :bow:

The Beatitudes are familiar and beautiful … Soothing, even. I wonder if they are now over-familiar to some of us and have lost a bit of their impact as blessings and promises of God. The Beatitudes should lead us to ask ourselves some pretty challenging questions. How different is God’s perception of human well being from mankind’s ideas? …A deeper look reveals God’s blessing is not what many people expect, or are prepared for.
These verses are an introduction to what is usually called the ‘Sermon on the Mount’, whose main theme is the Kingdom of Heaven, which really boils down to living life God’s way. The Beatitudes are about Kingdom characteristics.

Who was Jesus intending this message for, then? His disciples, most certainly. At the beginning of today’s reading, Matthew tells us “When Jesus saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and at the end of the Sermon at chapter 7, it says, “Now when Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were astounded at his teaching”. So yes, his disciples came to him – but it isn’t hard to imagine that within the crowd, his huge following that was so interested in him already even though this sermon occurred very early on in his ministry – within that crowd there were different levels of following. And there still are different levels of following Jesus today. The 2001 UK Census showed that 72% of people claimed to be Christian. I wonder how many of those actually know what Jesus asks of his disciples? The word ‘disciples’ in verse 1 doesn’t necessarily equate to his inner circle or to the Apostles. The word ‘disciple’ means ‘learner’ or ‘follower’, and doesn’t automatically mean they were all ‘obedient learners or followers’…
Can we imagine the crowd as you look upwards at the mountain: you’ve got the vaguely curious or ‘drag-alongs’ nearer the bottom of the mountain; then about half-way up the mountain, perhaps those who recently witnessed one of the healings recorded in Chapter 4; and then closer to the top would be those who had been following him for longer, they may even have been there when Jesus was baptised by John. Finally, surrounding Jesus on the top of the mountain, then, were those so compelled by the teachings and healings of Jesus that they made the more conscientious step to drop everything… follow him closely… and begin to shape their own lives after his example.

What Jesus preached on top of that mountain was what John Blanchard calls a ‘double-barrelled’ sermon. He says, “It was crammed with meaning for believers, challenging their lifestyle and testing the depth of their commitment. But it also had a devastating message for unbelievers, shattering their illusions as to the kind of life which is pleasing to God and satisfying to man”. So Jesus is addressing his disciples, but through them, he is also addressing the whole world. This is the crux of what the Beatitudes have to say to us, and it’s as relevant now as it was then: What the world chases after in pursuit of happiness and fulfilment is far from what God has in mind.

Each of the 9 Beatitudes begins with the word, “blessed”. And some translations use the word ‘happy’ in place of the word ‘blessed’. But ‘blessed’ cannot be reduced to ‘happy’ unless we change our usual definition of happiness! Happiness in its usual meaning is a subjective emotion, often depending on circumstances. “I felt so happy after Liverpool won the match”… “Buying that sports car has made me sooo happy!”… “If only I had a bigger house, that would really make me happy!” Some people think the purpose of life is to ‘be happy’. The BBC once reported that Britain is less happy now than in the 1950’s – and that’s despite the fact that we are three times richer!

In a book by the Dalai Lama called The Art of Happiness, one of the conclusions is that the key to happiness is in our own hands. Would we agree with that? In our first Beatitude, which lays down the foundation for the rest of them, we find Jesus teaching us that we are blessed when we are poor in spirit.
Poor in spirit… when we recognise that we have nothing in our hands. When we become aware that nothing of our own doing will satisfy or fulfil us. Do we recognise our own critical need for God? The blessing is there.
“Blessed are those who mourn”. The ‘mourning’ in this Beatitude is a spiritual mourning, a kind of ‘Godly sorrow’ - a different kind of mourning than that for death, and tragic events. This is mourning for sin, not only our own sin, but also for the sin of the world. This is mourning for those things we do that separate us from God. When we sin, is there a godly sorrow that leads to repentance? The blessing is there.

Meekness. Is that the same as being quiet and timid? No, it isn’t. Meekness is the willingness to submit to God - the humble acceptance of God’s sovereign rule in our lives. Are we willing to be governed by God alone? The blessing is there.

The fourth Beatitude seems a little easier to swallow (if you’ll excuse the pun!) Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness… Contrast this with what people often hunger and thirst for – material possessions, riches, popularity, power… in this Beatitude Jesus tells us we are blessed when this hunger and thirst is transferred to what is right and true. Are we hungry and thirsty for rightness in every realm of our lives? We cannot make ourselves righteous. It is only through Jesus that we will be counted as such. There is the blessing.

Blessed are the merciful. Mercy is shown by constant love even through difficulties and even if we have been letdown or rejected. How much greater is God’s mercy than our mercy? There is the blessing.

Blessed are the pure in heart. The word ‘pure’ reminds me of the refiner’s fire – In the prophetic book of Malachi, it is written: ‘But who can endure the day of his coming, and who can stand when he appears? For he is like a refiner’s fire and like fullers’ soap; he will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver.’ How pure are our motives?

Blessed are the peacemakers. Notice Jesus does not say ‘peace lovers’ but ‘peacemakers’- One is passive, the other is active. Do we seek to make peace when it is within our power to do so?

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake. Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. God doesn’t want us to be persecuted for any old reason, but for righteousness’ sake; we can expect in this world to face opposition - opposition from those we stand up against, for Christ’s sake. And ‘stand up’ we must. Persecution is the cost of obedient committed discipleship – the persecution that follows when we give up what the world considers to be blessings – the independence, the self-satisfaction, the never-ending pursuit of selfish gain in our worldly status.

Christ calls us to a distinctive, different, and demanding way of life. And the blessing is here. The blessing is in the life. Jesus came so that we would have life – life in all its fullness. This life sprinkles salt on our wounded world – a cleansing antiseptic that might be painful in the process. This life shines light that reflects, exposes, illuminates and guides.

If we exhibit these 9 characteristics or beatitudes, we certainly WILL be Salt and we certainly WILL be light. If we do not, then we must examine ourselves and ask why not? …The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand. We must continually give ourselves over to God’s rule. The qualities found in the Beatitudes are never found naturally; they are fruits of new birth. All of this is meant to drive the believer and the unbeliever alike to the place where utter helplessness is recognised, and God is called upon for saving grace.

As we journey together, may we encounter Christ Jesus,
Be empowered to live like him,
And understand more fully what it means to be blessed.

Amen.

karen freeinchristman

More of You and less of me, Lord!
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know why the top bit is a separate quote, but I can't seem to change that; I also don't know why it made the font different at the top. Oh, well. I'm surprised it let me post something so long!

Upvote 0

IowaLutheran

Veteran
Aug 29, 2004
Iowa
✟9,980.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Good stuff!

I preached last weekend, and the Gospel from the lectionary was Luke 6:17-26 (the Sermon on the Plain, which is similar to Matthew's Sermon on the Mount, except that four "woes" are added to the four "blessings"). So, I've also been thinking about the Beatitudes a lot lately.

Upvote 0

karen freeinchristman

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think it's great, Karen.

My own input: I would try find a way back to the mountain in your first paragraph; where we stand now, and where we intend to be standing in the future.

Many blessings to you as you preach the Good News!
That's a good idea, Chalice! How about at the end, I can change it to:

"As we journey together, wherever we are on that faith mountain, may we encounter Christ Jesus, be empowered to live like him, and understand more fully what it means to be blessed."

Upvote 0
C

ChaliceThunder

That's a good idea, Chalice! How about at the end, I can change it to:

"As we journey together, wherever we are on that faith mountain, may we encounter Christ Jesus, be empowered to live like him, and understand more fully what it means to be blessed."
Brava! Brava!

I think you are really giving light to the Beatitudes.

Go for it!

BTW - I agree w/Higgs2...peace lovers vs. peace MAKERS...and excellent point to illuminate!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Great sermon, Karen! It reads similarly to some good sermons I've heard from very polished priests over the years. If you're this good now, imagine how great you'll be when you finally become a priest! :) Thanks for sharing it with us.

Want to come over to my parish and serve as an associate there? ;) I promise to limit my pestering of you to celebrate obscure feast days to a reasonable amount. ;) Say, we are doing something for the Ember Days in a couple of weeks, right? ;)

Upvote 0

karen freeinchristman

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Great sermon, Karen! It reads similarly to some good sermons I've heard from very polished priests over the years. If you're this good now, imagine how great you'll be when you finally become a priest! :) Thanks for sharing it with us.

Want to come over to my parish and serve as an associate there? ;) I promise to limit my pestering of you to celebrate obscure feast days to a reasonable amount. ;) Say, we are doing something for the Ember Days in a couple of weeks, right? ;)
^_^
thanks, John! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

karen freeinchristman

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, it went fine. It's hard to tell, really, how it was actually received. I mean, I got the typical "good sermon" from people as I greeted them after the service! But I guess we never really know whether sermons make much difference in people's thinking. I had to hand out 4 assessment sheets to certain people in the congregation for feedback, which I'll get returned to me next week. Hopefully they will be honest!

My knees shook a bit, but overall, I felt I delivered it as well as I'm capable of at the present time. I'm sure it will get easier on the delivery-side of things after time and experience. I sure did get a lot out of the preparation side of it, though!

Thanks all! :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.