God is not a misogynist
May 17, 2004
Sydney.
✟17,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
In the spirit of Good Friday, i was sitting at home this evening watching The Passion of the Christ. Having seen it a few times before, I wasn't really expecting too much of a shock or new perspective of what Easter is REALLY about - it sort of ruins it when you know the ending!
tongue.gif
... Or so i thought.

There was this scene (based on Matt 27) where Jesus has been whipped within an inch of His life, and has been forced to carry His cross to Golgotha. His body exhausted under the strain, He falls to the ground in pain. As the Roman soldiers poke and jeer, one of Pilate's men rides down and rebukes the soldiers; can't they see He cannot go on? A jew is plucked from the Crowd, Simon of Cyrene, and ordered to help Him carry the cross. The jew is hesitant, and although complies, loudly announces "But remember, i am an innocent man, carrying the cross of a condemned man!"

17 The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord.
John 10:17-18

There is a splice edit to another scene mid way through the crucifixion, where Jesus explains His life was never taken - He offered it. He offered it for his friends, including those who repeatedly fall short and betray Him. The tax collectors, the prostitutes, and those who deny His name. He offers Himself as an innocent man, to take the cross of a Condemned man. Having no need to endure, His love extends to those suffering, those in bondage and most importantly: those in need. He offers it for US!!! :bow:

12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.
John 15:12-13

The point to following Jesus, isn't to follow a great big list of rules. It is to love. Loving means to deny ourselves for the cause of others, to give where we would normally take, choosing to make our lives a little bit harder for the sake of making someone else's a little easier. Giving our lives is an idea that is generally consistent with most denominations of Christianity - you "give your life to God". Real giving comes from the heart, it's an act of love. When we love God, we don't just offer our lives to Him, we offer our lives to those who need it - other people. People in need shouldn't be "taking" our time, instead we should be offering it. If we want to really follow God this Easter, saying a prayer or taking a sacrament in Church won't cut it. Aiming to fulfill a command to love like Jesus did, will.

My warmest wishes to you this Easter,
:hug::hug: :hug:

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
The Julikenz said:
In the spirit of Good Friday, i was sitting at home this evening watching The Passion of the Christ. Having seen it a few times before, I wasn't really expecting too much of a shock or new perspective of what Easter is REALLY about - it sort of ruins it when you know the ending!
tongue.gif
... Or so i thought.

There was this scene (based on Matt 27) where Jesus has been whipped within an inch of His life, and has been forced to carry His cross to Golgotha. His body exhausted under the strain, He falls to the ground in pain. As the Roman soldiers poke and jeer, one of Pilate's men rides down and rebukes the soldiers; can't they see He cannot go on? A jew is plucked from the Crowd, Simon of Cyrene, and ordered to help Him carry the cross. The jew is hesitant, and although complies, loudly announces "But remember, i am an innocent man, carrying the cross of a condemned man!"

17 The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord.
John 10:17-18

There is a splice edit to another scene mid way through the crucifixion, where Jesus explains His life was never taken - He offered it. He offered it for his friends, including those who repeatedly fall short and betray Him. The tax collectors, the prostitutes, and those who deny His name. He offers Himself as an innocent man, to take the cross of a Condemned man. Having no need to endure, His love extends to those suffering, those in bondage and most importantly: those in need. He offers it for US!!! :bow:

12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.
John 15:12-13

The point to following Jesus, isn't to follow a great big list of rules. It is to love. Loving means to deny ourselves for the cause of others, to give where we would normally take, choosing to make our lives a little bit harder for the sake of making someone else's a little easier. Giving our lives is an idea that is generally consistent with most denominations of Christianity - you "give your life to God". Real giving comes from the heart, it's an act of love. When we love God, we don't just offer our lives to Him, we offer our lives to those who need it - other people. People in need shouldn't be "taking" our time, instead we should be offering it. If we want to really follow God this Easter, saying a prayer or taking a sacrament in Church won't cut it. Aiming to fulfill a command to love like Jesus did, will.

My warmest wishes to you this Easter,
:hug::hug: :hug:

Thanks for the post, very edifying.

Upvote 0

Toney

Watcher
Feb 24, 2004
Kansas
✟9,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Crazy Liz said:
Thanks, Jules. The Simon segment is my favorite part of that movie.

Mine, too.

Thanks for the [open tags] on this thread.

The Simon vignette is one of the great spiritual teachings of the Passion story. Simon and his family were early, if not among the earliest, converts to The Way.

We know this because Simon's sons Rufus and Alexander were well known to the Christian community (Mk 15:1; Acts 13:1). You may recall that at least one son was pictured in the movie.

Franciscan spirituality teaches that all "conversions" (metanoia) include a Simon of Cyrene type along ones personal Road to Jerusalem.

Our personal Simon performs a corporeal work of mercy. Simon's counterpart on the Way of the Cross is Veronica.

Happy Easter to all.

Reactions: The Julikenz
Upvote 0

The Julikenz

God is not a misogynist
May 17, 2004
Sydney.
✟17,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sunday 8th April, 2007.

I've sat at home thinking of this thread and the close place it's message still has within my heart - regardless of any doctrine, icon, or box I can label my beliefs as belonging to. So with that in mind, please accept my bump again this year. :)

Upvote 0