Not open for further replies.

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oatmeal is a good food. And cream of wheat on a cold, Sunday morning is a good thing.

But Cheerios!

Just saying the name brings a smile!

So, did you ever really listen to a bowl of Rice Krispies? Those little elf things hand horrible financial advise, but they're not bad with the personal stuff.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
chaoschristian said:
Well. you're here now?

How goes it my overtiming internet stormtrooper friend?

I can only pass through a few times tonight. I'll post some in the morning when I get home.

I'm working a building that is twice as large as my normal one is and my legs are worn to nubs.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
USincognito said:
After being awake all night, I found the Chronicle of St. Brendan utterly unreadable, though I will stive to check it out when I have less cobwebs in my head. The Fortean Times article, while interesting - and one I shall check out again soon - doesn't pass my sniff test mentioned in my Sunday/Monday postings to Crevo Cafe regarding provisional/intuitive skepticism.

None the less, they are fascinating and I thank you for sharing them with me. Just to be up front, whether the Irish monks made it to North America or not matters not a whit to me apart from historical accuracy, but if they did I'm jealous of what must have been a fabulous and amazing journey of discovery.
It is possible the monk's rye had been past its sell by date or they had over done the whole fasting bit, or they picked a really bad time to visit Iceland.

[B said:
Nauigatio sancti Brendani abbatis[/B]]
St Brendan again armed himself with the sign of the Cross, and said to the brethren: ‘Put on more sail, and ply your oars more briskly, that we may get away-from this island.’ Hearing this, the savage man, above mentioned, rushed clown to the shore, bearing in his hand a tongs with a burning mass of the slag, of great size and intense heat, which he flung at once after the servants of Christ; but it did them no hurt, for they were protected by the sign of the Cross. It passed them at a furlong’s distance, and where it fell into the sea, it fumed up like II. heap of burning coals, and a great smoke arose as if from a fiery furnace. When they had passed on about a mile beyond the spot where this burning mass had fallen, all the dwellers on the island crowded down to the shore, bearing, each of them, a large mass of burning slag, which they flung, everyone in turn, after the servants of God; and then they returned to their forges, which they blew up into mighty flames, so that the whole island seemed one globe of fire, and the sea on every side boiled up and foamed, like a caldron set on a fire well supplied with fuel. All the day the brethren, even when they were no longer within view of the island, heard a loud wailing from the inhabitants thereof, and a noisome stench was perceptible at a great distance. Then St Brendan sought to animate the courage of the brethren, saying: ‘Soldiers of Christ, be strong in faith unfeigned and in the armour of the Spirit, for we are now on the confines of hell; watch, therefore, and act manfully.’
I came across references to Irish Christians in Iceland from the sagas http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/nda/nda24.htm

I suppose the real argument is that if the pious and superstitious descriptions in the Navigatio really do describe a voyage past the Faroes and icebergs to a volcanically active Iceland, then its claim to have landed on a huge island they walked around "for fifteen days, yet could not reach the limits thereof" may well mean they reached America.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pats

I'll take that comment with a grain of salt
Oct 8, 2004
Arizona, in the Valley of the sun
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
theFijian said:
you've still not made it too a new thread yet??

I was wondering how that happened too. :scratch: But I fell asleep last night after 30 some odd hours of not sleeping. :sorry:

Does anybody else know who the Fairly Odd Parents are?

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Assyrian said:

I came across references to Irish Christians in Iceland from the sagas http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/nda/nda24.htm

I suppose the real argument is that if the pious and superstitious descriptions in the Navigatio really do describe a voyage past the Faroes and icebergs to a volcanically active Iceland, then its claim to have landed on a huge island they walked around "for fifteen days, yet could not reach the limits thereof" may well mean they reached America.

Which raises an even more interesting possibility since Iceland was uninhabited (from the Archaeological record) during the time of St. Brendon's supposed visits. Might the Inuits or descendants of the Dorset people have inhabited Iceland then? Even if the tales in the Saga are enhanced or exaggerated, it is interesting that they encountered "normal" people and not people with giant feet or heads in their chests.

However, the mention of slag is problematic for any sojourn to North America for two reasons. There is no, utterly no, evidence for natives on the Canadian east coast posessing founding skills for iron nor the ability to reduce stone to slag. Similarly, there are no areas of volcanism in that area that I'm aware of.

Taken in toto, while I'm still unconvinced, a very compelling case can be made that St. Brendan and possibly others made it as far as Iceland even if they embellished their encounters with natives.

This has been a fascinating discussion. Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Pats said:
Would any one like a slightly used teenager?

One ready to respect that I work the night shift, is 18, has a scholarship or is ready to join the military and will understand why I think 6 earrings are o.k., but a lip ring is stupid and gross, then yes.

Otherwise, no thanks. I'm having a hard enough time caring for my cats without them dying suddenly on me.

Upvote 0

Pats

I'll take that comment with a grain of salt
Oct 8, 2004
Arizona, in the Valley of the sun
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Pats said:
Does anyone want a slightly used teenager?

Free?
chaoschristian said:

:clap: I'm packing him into a cardboard box right now. He's in stasis. ;) He should arrive in 7-10 days.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Haha! Speaking of 7-10 days, I always wanted to be the guy who drives the ship that takes pacakges across the Pacific Ocean. My wife would live in California and I'd say, "I'm shipping out tomorrow." She'd ask, "When will you be back?" I'd say, "In about 4-6 weeks."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.