Oops! He is a SHE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went out of town on the 4th and came back today. My son had just gotten a hamster 2 weeks ago from the pet store. We left plenty of food and filled the water bottle knowing he would be find for the weekend. Today we see that SHE had babies while we were gone! I didn't get to look at them long enough to see how many, but looks like at least 5 little pink bodies. My 10 year old son is a little shocked that he is a she, but he changed the name and is proud of his little mother.

Got a head count finally. Six little pink babies. She is taking good care of them so far. She gets up to drink or grab food, then snuggles back into the nest with the babies. We may contact the pet store about taking some of the babies since they did sell us the hamster without telling us what sex or anything about it possibly being pregnant. We wouldn't know where to put them all! We'll see after the weening is done I guess.

Upvote 0

Rosebud

ReAdY tO rUn
Oct 10, 2002
Washington/Oregon
✟377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
LoL I did that with a cat once. When you find the boy has babies it's like
eek1bluegreen.gif

Upvote 0

draper

Perspicacious Poster
Jul 5, 2003
Toronto, Canada
✟20,634.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
CA-Others
Pet sotres do not offer guarantees on the gender of small animals and cannot guarantee they aren't pregnant...it's a typical policy..

Anyways as soon as the hamsters are ready to go get rid of them, they reproduce ridicilously fast, I think they can at 4 weeks but do not quote me on that. Hamster incest will occur and you'll have a major problem...

Oh yeah, how old was it when you bought it?

Cuz if you got it relatively young its babies will have babies at just a young age as it did...

Upvote 0

CeCe

Veteran
Mar 25, 2003
Visit site
✟1,867.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Mine had 9 on Saturday. I don't know how familiar you are with hamsters, so I don't know if you know this stuff already; but make sure that her nest is not disturbed at all. And definately do not touch the babies. She will cannibalize them. They should be getting mighty cute about now, so it's hard to resist. :)

They should be close to weaning in August. Like another poster said the shops don't generally offer guarantees on this. But the pet shop will probably be willing to take them.

Upvote 0

Dawn Marie

Soda for Wine
Oct 27, 2002
Ontario
✟19,684.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
Yeah, when our hamsters have babies we wait until their eyes are open and they can move around without tripping over the wood shavings, before we hold them. We have never had a mother hamster eat her young... maybe that's just because they were always tamed before we bred them... who knows.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
We have read up on care of the babies. She is doing a very good job as a mom. The 6 little babies are starting to show some pigmentation in the skin and tiny itty bitty hairs.

We are looking to see if any friends or family want any of the hamsters first. Might as well find homes for them if we can rather than have them sit at the pet store.

We are waiting for the 2 week mark before we take them out and clean the cage out, at least that is what is recommended by most pages on hamsters we read.

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
draper said:
Pet sotres do not offer guarantees on the gender of small animals and cannot guarantee they aren't pregnant...it's a typical policy..

Anyways as soon as the hamsters are ready to go get rid of them, they reproduce ridicilously fast, I think they can at 4 weeks but do not quote me on that. Hamster incest will occur and you'll have a major problem...

Oh yeah, how old was it when you bought it?

Cuz if you got it relatively young its babies will have babies at just a young age as it did...

:D Can you say 50,000 hamsters in a year? :D

Squeak. :cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Update on our little guys: 5 have dark grey fur like their mom, 1 is looking blonde. This weekend we will finally get to clean the cage I believe. As soon as they can open their eyes it is ok to move them out briefly for cleaning is what I have read. Still not sure what we are going to put the boy hamsters in when it comes time to separate the sexes. The mom had a little break the other day in her ball. She insisted we take her out for a bit (she bites on the lid of the "lookout" when she wants to come out...this was the first time she had done that since the babies were born). Maybe I can get a picture of them when we take them out for the cage cleaning.

Upvote 0

Beckijhn

Feb 1, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
✟629.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Our pet store buys back the babies for a dollar a piece. We've been through dwarf hamsters and rats. About three litters each. It's a huge relief to finally get the males/females separate since with hamsters it's just a guessing game. Every rodent we've ever gotten (three from stores, one from friends) have ALWAYS been pregnant and then end up pregnant again before distribution of babies.

Explain that to your kids - Like ICK!! :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.