Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
There are only two churches --- not three, not four, not 100, not 2 million churches.

The Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi 14:10
“Behold there are save two churches only; the one is the Church of the Lamb of God and the other is the church of the devil; wherefore who so belongeth not to the church of the lamb of God belongeth to that great church; which is the mother of abominations; and she is the harlot of all the earth.”

Doctrine and Covenants 1

1–7, The voice of warning is to all people; 8–16, Apostasy and wickedness precede the Second Coming; 17–23, Joseph Smith is called to restore to earth the Lord’s truths and powers; 24–33, The Book of Mormon is brought forth and the true Church is established; 34–36, Peace will be taken from the earth; 37–39, Search these commandments...

29 And after having received the record of the Nephites, yea, even my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., might have power to translate through the mercy of God, by the power of God, the Book of Mormon.

30 And also those to whom these commandments were given, might have power to lay the foundation of this church, and to bring it forth out of obscurity and out of darkness, the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth, with which I, the Lord, am well pleased, speaking unto the church collectively and not individually.

Joseph Smith History
7 I was at this time in my fifteenth year. My father’s family was proselyted to the Presbyterian faith, and four of them joined that church, namely, my mother, Lucy; my brothers Hyrum and Samuel Harrison; and my sister Sophronia.

8 During this time of great excitement my mind was called up to serious reflection and great uneasiness; but though my feelings were deep and often poignant, still I kept myself aloof from all these parties, though I attended their several meetings as often as occasion would permit. In process of time my mind became somewhat partial to the Methodist sect, and I felt some desire to be united with them; but so great were the confusion and strife among the different denominations, that it was impossible for a person young as I was, and so unacquainted with men and things, to come to any certain conclusion who was right and who was wrong...

14 So, in accordance with this, my determination to ask of God, I retired to the woods to make the attempt. It was on the morning of a beautiful, clear day, early in the spring of eighteen hundred and twenty. It was the first time in my life that I had made such an attempt, for amidst all my anxieties I had never as yet made the attempt to pray vocally...

18 My object in going to inquire of the Lord was to know which of all the sects was right, that I might know which to join. No sooner, therefore, did I get possession of myself, so as to be able to speak, than I asked the Personages who stood above me in the light, which of all the sects was right (for at this time it had never entered into my heart that all were wrong)—and which I should join.

19 I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: “they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.”
Joseph Smith—History 1

An abominable church removed plain and precious things from the Bible? The Book of Mormon says so! How does the Book of Mormon describe that church?

6 And it came to pass that I beheld this great and abominable church; and I saw the devil that he was the founder of it.

7 And I also saw gold, and silver, and silks, and scarlets, and fine-twined linen, and all manner of precious clothing; and I saw many harlots.

8 And the angel spake unto me, saying: Behold the gold, and the silver, and the silks, and the scarlets, and the fine-twined linen, and the precious clothing, and the harlots, are the desires of this great and abominable church.
1 Nephi 13

Following the death of Jesus Christ, wicked people persecuted and killed many Church members. Other Church members drifted from the principles taught by Jesus Christ and His Apostles. The Apostles were killed, and priesthood authority—including the keys to direct and receive revelation for the Church—was taken from the earth. Because the Church was no longer led by priesthood authority, error crept into Church teachings. Good people and much truth remained, but the gospel as established by Jesus Christ was lost. This period is called the Great Apostasy.
The Great Apostasy

Doctrine and Covenants 25
15 Keep my commandments continually, and a crown of righteousness thou shalt receive. And except thou do this, where I am you cannot come.

3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.
Articles of Faith 1

True gospel restored by Joseph Smith. (Mormon Doctrine, pp. 331; 334; Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 1, pp. 156-159)

Christian keep-calm-i-m-not-a-mormon.png

Last edited by a moderator:

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
There are only two churches on the earth, Christ's church and Satan's church:

(New Testament | John 8:44 - 47)

44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.
46 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?
47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

(New Testament | Matthew 13:24 - 30)

24 ¶ Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:
25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.
26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.
27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?
28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?
29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.
30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Physical Description of the church of the devil per Book of Mormon:
7 And I also saw gold, and silver, and silks, and scarlets, and fine-twined linen, and all manner of precious clothing; and I saw many harlots.

church
1 a building for public Christian worship.
2 public worship of God or a religious service in such a building:
3 (sometimes initial capital letter) the whole body of Christian believers; Christendom.
4 (sometimes initial capital letter) any division of this body professing the same creed and acknowledging the same ecclesiastical authority; a Christian denomination:
5 that part of the whole Christian body, or of a particular denomination, belonging to the same city, country, nation, etc.
6 a body of Christians worshipping in a particular building or constituting one congregation:
7 ecclesiastical organization, power, and affairs, as distinguished from the state:
8 the clergy and religious officials of a Christian denomination.
9 the Christian faith:
10 (initial capital letter) the Christian Church before the Reformation.
11 (initial capital letter) the Roman Catholic Church.
12 the clerical profession or calling:
13 a place of public worship of a non-Christian religion.
14 any non-Christian religious society, organization, or congregation:
Definition of church | Dictionary.com

Book of Mormon
And he said unto me: Behold there are save
two churches only; the one is the church of the Lamb of God, and the other is the church of the devil; wherefore, whoso belongeth not to the church of the Lamb of God belongeth to that great church which is the mother of abominations; and she is the harlot of all the earth. (1 Nephi 14:10)

Joseph Smith inquired of God as to which church he should join:
19 I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: “they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.”

They were all wrong, the creeds were an abomination, the doctrines were wrong.

Joseph Smith said:
“I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.” (History of the Church, 4:461.)

In the Church, an ordinance is a sacred, formal act performed by the authority of the priesthood. Some ordinances are essential to our exaltation.* These ordinances are called saving ordinances. They include baptism, confirmation, ordination to the Melchizedek Priesthood (for men), the temple endowment, and the marriage sealing. With each of these ordinances, we enter into solemn covenants with the Lord...

Ordinances and covenants help us remember who we are. They remind us of our duty to God. The Lord has provided them to help us come
unto Him and receive eternal life. When we honor them, He strengthens us spiritually.

*eternal life/godhood
Ordinances

Mormon missionaries are sent to your door to bring non-mormons to Christ.

Mormon ComeUntoChristProcess.jpg

51BYBVFZEZL._SX315_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

"But who in this generation have authority to baptize? None but those who have received authority in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints: All other churches are entirely destitute of all authority from God; and any person who receives baptism or the Lord's Supper from their hands will highly offend God; for He looks upon them as the most corrupt of all people. Both Catholics and Protestants are nothing less than the 'harlot of Babylon' whom the Lord denounces by the mouth of John the Revelator as having corrupted all the earth by their fornications and wickedness."
LDS Apostle Orson Pratt, The Seer, p. 255

"Acceptance of the Book of Mormon requires acceptance of these two facts, because they are inseparably connected with its coming forth. If one accepts them and the Book of Mormon, he cannot deny the restored gospel, for it rests upon the same two facts. The person who knows the Book of Mormon is true has passed the point of no return, so far as conversion is concerned. He has come out of darkness into the glorious light of truth. He has, in effect, accepted the gospel of Jesus Christ...
"This Church is the ensign on the mountain spoken of by the Old Testament prophets. It is the way, the truth, and the life. "
- Marion G. Romney, Conference Report, April, 1961, p. 119

"Therefore it was made clearly manifest that salvation is in the Church, and of the Church, and is obtained only through the Church."
- Mark E. Petersen

Mark Edward Petersen (November 7, 1900 – January 11, 1984) was an American news editor and religious leader who served as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) from 1944 until his death. Born in Salt Lake City, Utah, he filled the vacancy in the Quorum caused by the excommunication of Richard R. Lyman. Petersen had become managing editor of the church-owned Deseret News in 1935 and editor in 1941.
Mark E. Petersen - Wikipedia

If it had not been for Joseph Smith and the restoration, there would be no salvation. There is no salvation outside The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, 1979, p. 670

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
"7 And I also saw gold, and silver, and silks, and scarlets, and fine-twined linen, and all manner of precious clothing; and I saw many harlots."

LDS temples are elegantly furnished:

Mormon Cedar City cr.jpg
Mormon cr.png

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
"7 And I also saw gold, and silver, and silks, and scarlets, and fine-twined linen, and all manner of precious clothing; and I saw many harlots."

LDS temples are elegantly furnished:

I don't know of any of God's temples that were built without precious things.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Book of Mormon Student Manual 1996:

Mosiah 5:8
"We see that we take upon us the name of Christ when we are baptized in his name, when we belong to his Church and profess our belief in him, and do the work of his kingdom....

"There are other meanings as well, deeper meanings that the more mature members of the Church should understand and ponder as he or she partakes of the sacrament."
From bad to good to better to equal with God

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
There are only two churches on the earth and everyone belongs to one or the other, either Christ's church or the devil's church:

(New Testament | Matthew 6:24)

24 ¶ No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Joseph Smith condemned all churches except the church he would "restore."

Smith claimed that in the spring of 1820, praying for direction on which church to join, he was visited by God the Father and Jesus Christ. He claimed:

My mind at times was greatly excited, the cry and tumult were so great and incessant. The Presbyterians were most decided against the Baptists and Methodists, and used all the powers of both reason and sophistry to prove their errors, or, at least, to make the people think they were in error. On the other hand, the Baptists and Methodists in their turn were equally zealous in endeavoring to establish their own tenets and disprove all others.

In the midst of this war of words and tumult of opinions, I often said to myself: What is to be done? Who of all these parties are right; or, are they all wrong together? . . .

After I had retired to the place where I had previously designed to go, having looked around me, and finding myself alone, I kneeled down and began to offer up the desires of my heart to God. . . .

I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: "they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof."
LDS Church Leaders Declare Christianity to be in a State of Total Apostasy

Joseph Smith—History 1

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There are only two churches on the earth and everyone belongs to one or the other, either Christ's church or the devil's church:

(New Testament | Matthew 6:24)

24 ¶ No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

That would be correct.
Either God as our Father.
Or the devil as our father.

Saved by Christ alone.

Thank goodness it wasn't left up to me.

M-Bob

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0