✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi Family,

I have read a few comments that said that certain authority, power or commands were given ONLY to the Apostles and don't apply to us as Christians.

Example given: binding and loosing

What are those commands/authority/power that doesn't apply to us also?

Are we supposed to apply the whole NT to our lives or only parts?

If we do not have the same authority, power and commands, why?

~Natsumi Lam~

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi Family,

I have read a few comments that said that certain authority, power or commands were given ONLY to the Apostles and don't apply to us as Christians.

~Natsumi Lam~

You're right that there are powers and authorities only given to the apostles and not to laymen. They are usually referred to as "Church Order" commandments given to the apostles by Christ. For example, at John 20:23 Jesus gave the apostles the authority to forgive sins. The apostles were also able to give those powers to others as needed. They handed those powers down through their successors.

That all Christians do not have those same powers is illustrated at Acts 8:5, where Philip went to Samaria preaching. It records that at Philip's preaching unclean spirits came out of people, and that the men of Samaria were baptized, but that Philip was not able to convey to those people the gift of the Holy Spirit. John and Peter were sent to Samaria to chrismate them at Acts 8:14-17 instead. But then later Philip went to Gaza where he baptized the eunuch from Ethiopia. It seems from the story that the eunuch was baptized and chrismated by Philip so I assume either Peter or John gave him that power while they were in Samaria.

Upvote 0

Thess

Oct 31, 2018
Chelan
✟19,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi Family,

~Natsumi Lam~

That's a fun question to ask. Paul asks us to model ourselves after him about 18 times in his writings. I don't recall him telling us not to model ourselves after him in ANY way, though we both agree that he likely does not include apostleship in our modelings ourselves after him. I think the fun of it is to study Paul and then find out what, exactly, he does and does not require. It's all there. :)

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You're right that there are powers and authorities only given to the apostles and not to laymen. They are usually referred to as "Church Order" commandments given to the apostles by Christ. For example, at John 20:23 Jesus gave the apostles the authority to forgive sins. The apostles were also able to give those powers to others as needed. They handed those powers down through their successors.

That all Christians do not have those same powers is illustrated at Acts 8:5, where Philip went to Samaria preaching. It records that at Philip's preaching unclean spirits came out of people, and that the men of Samaria were baptized, but that Philip was not able to convey to those people the gift of the Holy Spirit. John and Peter were sent to Samaria to chrismate them at Acts 8:14-17 instead. But then later Philip went to Gaza where he baptized the eunuch from Ethiopia. It seems from the story that the eunuch was baptized and chrismated by Philip so I assume either Peter or John gave him that power while they were in Samaria.
What about nowadays that people preach and men are delivered from unclean spirits? How does that happen? Ive seen it happen personally and in my life.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What about nowadays that people preach and men are delivered from unclean spirits? How does that happen? Ive seen it happen personally and in my life.

I have only ever seen such things on television. I have never witnessed anything of the sort in person.

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I have only ever seen such things on television. I have never witnessed anything of the sort in person.
Ok, so it sounds like you are saying you have to see it personally to reshape your doctrine. Did i get that wrong or did i perceive it correctly?

Is there a verse in the word that supports the idea that the Apostles or direct subordinants only have these powers?

Example...do exorcists only have the power to cast out demons...or does every Christian have authority through Jesus?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ok, so it sounds like you are saying you have to see it personally to reshape your doctrine. Did i get that wrong or did i perceive it correctly?

Is there a verse in the word that supports the idea that the Apostles or direct subordinants only have these powers?

Example...do exorcists only have the power to cast out demons...or does every Christian have authority through Jesus?

Well, maybe I didn't say that quite right. I do not have a doctrine. I follow the doctrine and teachings of the Church. The Orthodox Church takes a different view of demonic possession than is common to Western Christianity. Basically, if something is demonic, it is demonic. If it isn't demonic, it isn't demonic. We are called on every day to "exorcise" from ourselves whatever evil may be inside of us.

As far as exorcising demons from someone else goes, I personally do not have any experience with it. In the example of Philip in Acts, demons left people at his preaching, but he did not have the power to chrismate. So he apparently had the power to drive them out, but did not have the authority of an apostle. But also, even a person who casts out demons can still be condemned. See Matthew 7:22-23.

Upvote 0

Gordon Wright

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
✟17,383.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's all about credibility. An extraordinary claim of authority needs extraordinary evidence to back it up, or else it would unreasonable to follow.

If someone raises the dead right in front of me and then tells me to submit to his authority, I'll probably do it. If some random guy walks up to me and tells me to submit to his authority, I probably won't.

The Apostles had supernatural powers. That gave them street cred.

Upvote 0