ONLY A MINORITY OF AMERICAN CHRISTIANS BELIEVE IN SALVATION THROUGH CHRIST ALONE

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,585,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just one in three adults believe in salvation through Christ alone. A survey by the American Worldview Inventory 2020 put out by the Arizona Christian University Cultural Research Center has confirmed the vast majority of "Christians" are not true believers.

Most professing Christians, it would appear, are not Christians at all. This makes total mockery of the 81% of evangelicals who voted for Donald Trump. Most Protestants ticked the box of evangelical as opposed to liberal, but their allegiance to Christ was and is paper-thin, if not non-existent. Several million could honestly be classified as Fundamentalist like Liberty University and the Falwells. But true evangelicals -- those who believe in the Lordship of Christ, who say they have committed their lives to Christ and attempt to walk as disciples of Christ, are a minority. The rest are nominal who cannot and should not be classified as true Christians.

Based on my many years in The Episcopal Church, I would say this survey is right on target. Furthermore, it is not a stretch to say that most Presbyterians, United Methodists, United Church of Christ and other mainline denominations are also led by nominal believers. Baptists (Southern and independent) probably make up the majority of 'born again' Christians in America, though the SBC has seen huge hemorrhaging in youth attendance. Southern Baptists have lost more than 2 million members since 2006. Pentecostals, Assembly of God, Vineyard churches and myriad independent evangelical churches have genuine believers, but are theologically thin, the research revealed.

Continued below.
ONLY A MINORITY OF AMERICAN CHRISTIANS BELIEVE IN SALVATION THROUGH CHRIST ALONE | VirtueOnline – The Voice for Global Orthodox Anglicanism

Lifelong_sinner

Nov 24, 2019
Virginia
✟31,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
This isnt surprising. Matter of fact, for the last decade, some prominent preachers have been saying that only about 6% of so called christians are actually saved. Its also part of the reason why i think so many answers on here about salvation are wonky. Most believe in easy- believism. Being a true christian is one of the absolute hardest things to do in my opinion.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Just one in three adults believe in salvation through Christ alone. A survey by the American Worldview Inventory 2020 put out by the Arizona Christian University Cultural Research Center has confirmed the vast majority of "Christians" are not true believers.

Most professing Christians, it would appear, are not Christians at all. This makes total mockery of the 81% of evangelicals who voted for Donald Trump. Most Protestants ticked the box of evangelical as opposed to liberal, but their allegiance to Christ was and is paper-thin, if not non-existent. Several million could honestly be classified as Fundamentalist like Liberty University and the Falwells. But true evangelicals -- those who believe in the Lordship of Christ, who say they have committed their lives to Christ and attempt to walk as disciples of Christ, are a minority. The rest are nominal who cannot and should not be classified as true Christians.

Based on my many years in The Episcopal Church, I would say this survey is right on target. Furthermore, it is not a stretch to say that most Presbyterians, United Methodists, United Church of Christ and other mainline denominations are also led by nominal believers. Baptists (Southern and independent) probably make up the majority of 'born again' Christians in America, though the SBC has seen huge hemorrhaging in youth attendance. Southern Baptists have lost more than 2 million members since 2006. Pentecostals, Assembly of God, Vineyard churches and myriad independent evangelical churches have genuine believers, but are theologically thin, the research revealed.

Continued below.
ONLY A MINORITY OF AMERICAN CHRISTIANS BELIEVE IN SALVATION THROUGH CHRIST ALONE | VirtueOnline – The Voice for Global Orthodox Anglicanism
I’m not sure I’m more enlightened after reading this link. Suspecting believing Catholics would be defined out of being saved through Christ by the pollsters. So not really helpful information.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,585,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m not sure I’m more enlightened after reading this link. Suspecting believing Catholics would be defined out of being saved through Christ by the pollsters. So not really helpful information.
I thought was interesting. But I used to be Protestant. It’s something I’ve long suspected. I figured they were talking about us in this line: “The other one in five who expect to experience heaven is counting on earning the way...”

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I thought was interesting. But I used to be Protestant. It’s something I’ve long suspected. I figured they were talking about us in this line: “The other one in five who expect to experience heaven is counting on earning the way...”
I suspect so. And yet it is so much fake news to say we do not rely on Christ for our salvation. At least for believing and orthodox Catholics there is no way but through Christ. I’ll grant that some Catholics and many others even within Protestantism give Jesus little or no role in salvation, being basically Pelagians, but that isn’t believing orthodox Catholicism at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

narnia59

Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟323,546.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You have to be careful with the phrase salvation by Christ "alone." Some Protestants will claim that if you believe the Church and the sacraments are necessary for salvation you are denying salvation by Christ "alone." Of if you believe the help we receive from the saints is beneficial, you're denying salvation by Christ "alone." I'd have to know more about the intent of the question before I'd said yes to that, or I'd at least put a condition on my answer about what it doesn't mean.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You have to be careful with the phrase salvation by Christ "alone." Some Protestants will claim that if you believe the Church and the sacraments are necessary for salvation you are denying salvation by Christ "alone." Of if you believe the help we receive from the saints is beneficial, you're denying salvation by Christ "alone." I'd have to know more about the intent of the question before I'd said yes to that, or I'd at least put a condition on my answer about what it doesn't mean.
I suspect their question was designed to exclude Catholics.

Upvote 0