online scripture...

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
Most of us have the Bible on our devices and phones. Try and find these Scriptures in NIV Bible on your computers, phones or any other device.

Matthew 17:21, 18:11, 23:14;
Mark 7:16, 9:44, 9:46;
Luke 17:36, 23:17; John 5:4;
Acts 8:37......

Yeshua said in John 10:10 (KJV). "The thief (referring to Satan) comes but to kill, to steal and to destroy...

chunkofcoal

Messianic Christian
Sep 30, 2004
✟83,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most of us have the Bible on our devices and phones. Try and find these Scriptures in NIV Bible on your computers, phones or any other device.

Matthew 17:21, 18:11, 23:14;
Mark 7:16, 9:44, 9:46;
Luke 17:36, 23:17; John 5:4;
Acts 8:37......

Yeshua said in John 10:10 (KJV). "The thief (referring to Satan) comes but to kill, to steal and to destroy...
I googled about the missing verses and apparently there were older manuscripts that didn't include those verses, so they are not included in modern bibles.

• Informative
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,915,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I have the NIVUK, which is equivalent to the NIV 84'. At the end of Matthew 17:20 is a little "a" that, when clicked on, gives me this:

"Some manuscripts you. 21 But this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting."

~The Holy Bible: New International Version—Anglicised. (1984). (electronic edition.). London: Hodder & Stoughton.
The NASB has v21 right where you would expect it to be in the Biblical text, but it puts brackets around it like this (see below) to indicate that this verse was not found in the earliest manuscripts of Matthew's Gospel (manuscripts that had not yet been discovered when the KJV was translated, if memory serves that is).

21 [“But this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.”]

~New American Standard Bible: 1995 update. (1995). (Mt 17:21). La Habra, CA: The Lockman Foundation.
With either of those translations then, I am able to see v21, a verse I would not be able to see if I only had access to the oldest available Greek manuscripts, so I'm glad that they both included it (though I prefer the bracketing that the NASB uses), but I'm also glad that they point out the existing problem for us as well so that we are fully informed :oldthumbsup:

--David
p.s. - I have the more modern NIV also. It also has the same "a" that the NIVUK has, but instead of giving me a popup box with the words of v21, it sends me to Mark 9:29. Still like'n the NASB brackets considerably better!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟767,634.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As others said, different (and mostly older) manuscripts do not have those verses. The manuscripts that the KJV (as well as others) are based off of did have them. The likely thought is that they were added into the text at some point. These are a common argument of the KJV-O (King James Version Only) people to convince believers that the KJV is the ONLY reliable English version and is the only full inspired Word of G-d - some even go as far as saying that since we do not have the original autographs any longer the KJV is G-d's replacement for them. Maybe it is, or maybe it is based off of corrupt texts. Regardless, the truth of the Gospel is revealed with or without these verses as we do not base good theology off of one or two verses, but rather off of whole books and the entire Bible.

Upvote 0