South of Canada, North of Mexico
✟17,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah, I agree with Ethie here, there's just no real comparison to having that person with you.

But on the other hand when you don't want to deal with them... "Uh, sorry dear they're shutting down my internet for the rest of the day. We'll talk later" :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

///Mpower82

Jun 28, 2010
Portsmouth, VA
✟7,662.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Even though they didn't start as long distance, I've done the long distance thing way too many times and it has never ended well. It's something that really isn't an option for me anymore. Business trips or seperation for a short period of time is one thing (a couple of months I mean), but if you don't live within a 45min drive I wouldn't pursue anything.....unless I was really impressed of course.

I guess this post is a little off topic, but I've done the online thing, I've made a couple really good friends out of it. No real relationships though.

Upvote 0

Nom De Guerre

Who amongst you doesn't see life as permanent?
May 6, 2005
Location, Location.
✟39,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
But on the other hand when you don't want to deal with them... "Uh, sorry dear they're shutting down my internet for the rest of the day. We'll talk later" :thumbsup:

:D or maybe you could go for a walk or go workout :p

Upvote 0

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
LDRs are definitely not for everyone. They take a lot of work and patience, although I think it's worth it for the right person. I would much rather dance with a guy, than a broom or hairbrush :D, but I'm not going to let distance stop me from dating a great guy.

Upvote 0

septemberskies

You can find me on cloud no.9
Sep 16, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Visit site
✟19,453.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Democrat
i can kinda relate. I actually am more or less content with being single (I like to vent sometimes here about it, so it may not sound like I am, but its true!), but at the same time I think it'd be awesome to actually meet someone who is a good match for me and who I'm a good match for. that's actually why I am trying out dating sites, I don't think its desperation or anything but who knows if thats how I'm eventually going to meet that guy unless I try it, right?

There are free sites too. they can be a little iffy because most people only know about or want to try the pay sites but if you ever want to check out the free ones lemme know and I'll send you the links.
I agree with you. Dating sites are good because these are people openly saying "Hey, I'm available" so you're seeing what's out there. I've actually gained a few good male friends from the sites.

The good thing about paid sites is that people are more likely to be active because they spent 19.95. Most free ones people usually sort of create their profiles, look around, and bail....

Upvote 0

septemberskies

You can find me on cloud no.9
Sep 16, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Visit site
✟19,453.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Democrat
the need for constant and real communication. With my ex, we talked constantly, but looking back on it it was all rather superficial and we mostly talked about whatever he wanted to talk about. its something that may come up in a regular relationship too, but its amplified so much more when all you have is IM/the phone.

finding ways to show eachother how you feel about eachother when you can't be together This gets a bit more tricky if you take the five love languages into account. Some people need to be shown love in certain ways and you've got to find ways to accommodate that long distance.

Making time to be together regularly in person. You really can only know so much about a person over the phone or online, even if you're both being completely truthful. and there's a completely different dynamic when you're face to face.

LDRs, especially if they're kept up over a long period of time can also be quite costly financially just because of travel costs. phone costs may also add up, but luckily there are programs like Skype and a lot of cell companies offer reduced rates if you're with the same company. and there's also gifts. Just sending Christmas presents to my ex cost me an arm and a leg. I quickly learned the benefit of ordering and shipping online within the US :D

And I know I already mentioned this, but it is soooo important to come up with a plan at the beginning that you both agree to to end up closer to each other at some point. Its something I honestly wish someone had told me before I started dating my ex. We were long distance for three years and by the end of it I was just so emotionally drained that the thought of ever dating long distance again was enough to depress me.

there are probably other things to think about too that I'm forgetting about. but this gives a general gist of whats involved.
You've remained me of the LDR I went through... it is soooooooo tough on a person it's not funny. LDRs can work out but it's not easy. If one person is more invested then the other it's a receipe for disaster!!!

Reactions: penNpaper
Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
from experience... LDRS are incredibly tough, but I think I'd be open to it again if I met the right guy and if we decided on a plan upfront to wind up close to eachother. being long distance for years on end can only serve to cause problems and emotionally drain you.

Yeah, and that's the thing. I'm not moving. I would like to move. I don't like Western PA very much; the economy sucks, the roads suck, the government sucks more than most state governments, and there are hardly any people my age within 100 miles of me. So I'd love to move.

But I'm stuck here. This is where God wants me to be, for now. I don't mean to brag, but this is completely true - I'm an essential part of the music ministry in my church. Heck, I practically AM the music ministry when it comes to the youth group. This is where I belong, and it's where I will stay until God brings someone else into our church who can take over for me. And in the meantime, I love the people in my church. So I'm not going anywhere.

If a woman wants me, she's going to have to come here. And I know that severely reduces the chances of a LDR working in my case. Possibly to zero, considering that everybody who can is getting out of this dump rather than coming in.

Upvote 0

xuxana

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
Mar 26, 2010
ROCOR
✟1,409.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
yes. from Free Online Dating at Plentyoffish.com™

they all want one thing & its difficult to weed out the pervs. even when you think that you found the right guy with the perfect profile, scripture quotes, and online demeanor... in person its just eeew. sadly... the cutest guys on that site are the most promiscuous.

Upvote 0
T

toastface_grillah

yes. from Free Online Dating at Plentyoffish.com™

they all want one thing & its difficult to weed out the pervs. even when you think that you found the right guy with the perfect profile, scripture quotes, and online demeanor... in person its just eeew. sadly... the cutest guys on that site are the most promiscuous.

Ah well. It could be that some of the "cutest guys" have it down to a science how to present the picture of themselves that girls want to see.
Chances are, there are probably some quality guys on that site who never get their emails replied to because they don't have the "perfect profile" or the right scripture quotes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

StartedAtEly

Jun 28, 2010
Belgium
✟15,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think online dating is a good idea. Finding a life partner is essentially about catching the right fish. However, to catch the right fish, you must fish in the correct pond. How many godly, honourable Christian women do you think you will find at a heavy metal concert? Not many I'll guess. How many will you find at a Christian band concert? Quite a few. Online dating is good, as it draws together people of similar backgrounds, and thus creates a suitable pond for you to fish in.

Upvote 0

Kevin_Wright

May 9, 2010
St. Michael, Minnesota
✟15,335.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ah well. It could be that some of the "cutest guys" have it down to a science how to present the picture of themselves that girls want to see.
Chances are, there are probably some quality guys on that site who never get their emails replied to because they don't have the "perfect profile" or the right scripture quotes.
[wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth] its like you KNOW ME! :p

Upvote 0