Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hey! I am currently on match.com. I have met some nice people on there. They just werent my match.

I also used plenty of fish to find out that it's way too much hassle to find the good fish because there are tons of Bad ones.

I think Match is better quality because people have to pay to be on there.

What is OLD?

Upvote 0

christiansoccerplayer

Aug 6, 2013
✟47,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hey! I am currently on match.com. I have met some nice people on there. They just werent my match.

I also used plenty of fish to find out that it's way too much hassle to find the good fish because there are tons of Bad ones.

I think Match is better quality because people have to pay to be on there.

What is OLD?
Online dating

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Anyone who has used an online dating site within the last 6-7 years, I’m interested in hearing your experiences and what site(s) u used, problems, successes, etc. I am thinking of doing OLD next month. It will be my third time.

Gave up on online dating last year. Plenty of Fish has fake profiles and bots. If they aren't fake, then I've reached my limit of the women I had already messaged , but rarely ever got a response, or if a conversation did get started...it'd fizzle out when I would suggest meeting up.

Some are on there just for the attention and ego boost.

Funny, I keep seeing the same faces of the same women year after year on these sites, women I'd already contacted. Some have some seriously unrealistic expectations.

There was actually this Christian woman that moved to my area away from the big city, which is an hour away. She specifically said that she'll ONLY date local and the guy she dates must be no less than 5'10"...and she's only 5'5 or 5'4" or something

Upvote 0

justtrance

Dorcus
Oct 26, 2020
south
✟18,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Gave up on online dating last year. Plenty of Fish has fake profiles and bots. If they aren't fake, then I've reached my limit of the women I had already messaged , but rarely ever got a response, or if a conversation did get started...it'd fizzle out when I would suggest meeting up.

Some are on there just for the attention and ego boost.

Funny, I keep seeing the same faces of the same women year after year on these sites, women I'd already contacted. Some have some seriously unrealistic expectations.

There was actually this Christian woman that moved to my area away from the big city, which is an hour away. She specifically said that she'll ONLY date local and the guy she dates must be no less than 5'10"...and she's only 5'5 or 5'4" or something
Yeah, I got the fakes with broken english a whole lot.

You mention the same faces... I came back after about a 6 year hiatus and there is this guy on there that has the SAME pictures up that he had up back 6 years before! I called him out and asked for new pictures but he never produced them. ODD! I'm REALLY curious as to who he is and what his story is. I guess I'll never know though.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I’ve never used those sites. But I’ve been on forums with profile capabilities built in.

I wouldn’t pay for a service unless they screened along the lines of my preferences or moral compass. I’d rather invest the money in a membership at a venue that attracts the caliber of suitor I’m seeking.

Sometimes its best to spend money to weed out the dross. At the very least, you’re engaging with viable candidates actively seeking the same.

Match is $16 per month for one year. That’s a Netflix subscription. You won’t weed out much at that rate. You need to spend more.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’ve never used those sites. But I’ve been on forums with profile capabilities built in.

I wouldn’t pay for a service unless they screened along the lines of my preferences or moral compass. I’d rather invest the money in a membership at a venue that attracts the caliber of suitor I’m seeking.

Sometimes its best to spend money to weed out the dross. At the very least, you’re engaging with viable candidates actively seeking the same.

Match is $16 per month for one year. That’s a Netflix subscription. You won’t weed out much at that rate. You need to spend more.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Though, match is a paid site...I've found out that, say...I'm a paying member, and I contact a woman. I do not know whether or not she is a paid member...if she's not, I'm wasting an email on her, as she will never see it.

I've noticed a lot of non-paid and a ton of inactive profiles on Match. You can tell their level of activity though , via a little green dot near their name. So you really only can patronize those people ,and they are a small percentage...if you scroll further down, there are tons of inactive member.s

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
So you really only can patronize those people ,and they are a small percentage...if you scroll further down, there are tons of inactive member.s

You have a better chance of meeting someone relatable in your backyard. If you don't have to be here, I wouldn't recommend it.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Last edited:
Upvote 0

christiansoccerplayer

Aug 6, 2013
✟47,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
When you encounter someone with a lengthy period of singleness you should wonder why. If she's a catch men will notice. That's a fact. She doesn't have to be a 10 to get airtime. If she's continually passed over there's a problem. If interactions never go beyond this realm there's something wrong.
~bella
I take it that also applies to single men. If so, God help me. Like really help me.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I take it that also applies to single men. If so, God help me. Like really help me.

Yes it does. Women aren't blind. If he's a catch they're after a ring. Both sexes want to seal the deal when they find what they're looking for. Whether that's marriage or a long-term relationship. Prolonged singleness has a reason. I'm not including womanizers (or the alternative) in that group.

We discussed it on a different thread. You expressed a willingness to work on yourself to overcome your stumbling blocks. That's the mature approach. :)

You can't expect people to overlook everything. That's unrealistic. You have to do your part. Putting a religious spin on your circumstances will extend your time alone.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

christiansoccerplayer

Aug 6, 2013
✟47,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes it does. Women aren't blind. If he's a catch they're after a ring. Both sexes want to seal the deal when they find what they're looking for. Whether that's marriage or a long-term relationship. Prolonged singleness has a reason. I'm not including womanizers (or the alternative) in that group.

We discussed it on a different thread. You expressed a willingness to work on yourself to overcome your stumbling blocks. That's the mature approach. :)

You can't expect people to overlook everything. That's unrealistic. You have to do your part. Putting a religious spin on your circumstances will extend your time alone.

Yours in His Service,

~bella
Fair enough. I would not expect anyone to overlook anything. I will answer for being single for such a long time by admitting I did not take action to get dates or even put high on my priorities. The reason why I ultimately have not taken action or set goals, have a plan, etc is something I’m still trying to figure out.
It feels like a no-win: not try to change being single and they wonder why I have not done so. Take action and it’s like they view me as desperate or tell me to stay content as single and not making dating/marriage a priority

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Fair enough. I would not expect anyone to overlook anything. I will answer for being single for such a long time by admitting I did not take action to get dates or even put high on my priorities. The reason why I ultimately have not taken action or set goals, have a plan, etc is something I’m still trying to figure out.

That's a good starting point. You're going under the hood. You recognize your desire for companionship and need to understand why you've put it off. Once you have the answer you can tackle the problem.

It feels like a no-win: not try to change being single and they wonder why I have not done so. Take action and it’s like they view me as desperate.

Desperate is a different animal. That's a person who idealizes relationships and makes it their orbit. Happiness and contentment aren't possible without a partner. They'll do anything to have someone.

You don't know the reason yet. If you're asked you tell the truth. I'm trying to figure it out and make changes where needed. That's what you're doing. :)

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

Robert Wrightly

Dec 17, 2020
Sydney
✟15,243.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Anyone who has used an online dating site within the last 6-7 years, I’m interested in hearing your experiences and what site(s) u used, problems, successes, etc. I am thinking of doing OLD next month. It will be my third time.

It's been a while, but it felt weirdly like applying for a job. I don't like it, something about online dating feels forced and artificial and sad. (Or that could have simply been me at the time and I'm projecting...) But a lot of people have ended up happily married through one, so I guess different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yours in His Service,

~bella

When I would see people (typically men) criticizing their lack of success at even getting a response, much less an in person date (conversation fizzles when the subject of meeting is brought up)... some don't get sympathy as other dating message board dwellers criticize them with, "You aren't doing it right" or "You are doing something to scare them off" etc etc. They put the onus on them for zilch responses or landing in-person dates...instead of getting support and acknowledging the sheer nature of the platform.

That people on the other end don't really feel some kind of obligation to follow-up with an in-person in counter, or flaking or whatever.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
They put the onus on them for zilch responses or landing in-person dates...instead of getting support and acknowledging the sheer nature of the platform.

The OP acknowledged his lack of dating experience on a different thread.

Online platforms play to certain strengths: Looks, money, lifestyle and charisma. There's a lot of hypergamy on both sides.

I'm not personally acquainted with anyone who couldn't get a response or date. Male or female. Many of the people I've known met their partner online.

That people on the other end don't really feel some kind of obligation to follow-up with an in-person in counter, or flaking or whatever.

I don't think that's courteous.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

christiansoccerplayer

Aug 6, 2013
✟47,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That's a good starting point. You're going under the hood. You recognize your desire for companionship and need to understand why you've put it off. Once you have the answer you can tackle the problem.

Desperate is a different animal. That's a person who idealizes relationships and makes it their orbit. Happiness and contentment aren't possible without a partner. They'll do anything to have someone.

You don't know the reason yet. If you're asked you tell the truth. I'm trying to figure it out and make changes where needed. That's what you're doing. :)

Yours in His Service,

~bella
Would it be a good idea for me seek out dates at the same time I'm looking inside myself to figure out answers to these questions/issues?

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
About 3 years ago I think I used Match or OKCupid? Can't remember which. One of the two of them had hundreds of questions over different areas that you could answer, and also leave explanatory notes, I liked that. Then it would calc a compatibility score, and you could see the other persons answers, I believe, which was kind of nice.

Of course, if you see someone you really like, there's always the temptation to "tweak" the answers you give or even the questions you answer. "Hi! I see we now have 99% compatibility! You should get to know me!" lol. Yeah, watch out for that.

Maybe chat and after chatting for a while go for coffee (Covid depending, I can't imagine OLD in a Covid world lol)
Be prepared for people to just not respond or ignore you
Be prepared for people to get PO'd if you don't respond or ignore them
Be prepared for people to not be what you are looking for
Be prepared to not be what other people are looking for

And, all of that's OK I guess.

Most people are looking for a friend, whether they know it or not
And most people are looking for Christ, whether they know it or not
Just make sure you aren't one of those who aren't

Upvote 0

christiansoccerplayer

Aug 6, 2013
✟47,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
About 3 years ago I think I used Match or OKCupid? Can't remember which. One of the two of them had hundreds of questions over different areas that you could answer, and also leave explanatory notes, I liked that. Then it would calc a compatibility score, and you could see the other persons answers, I believe, which was kind of nice.

Of course, if you see someone you really like, there's always the temptation to "tweak" the answers you give or even the questions you answer. "Hi! I see we now have 99% compatibility! You should get to know me!" lol. Yeah, watch out for that.

Maybe chat and after chatting for a while go for coffee (Covid depending, I can't imagine OLD in a Covid world lol)
Be prepared for people to just not respond or ignore you
Be prepared for people to get PO'd if you don't respond or ignore them
Be prepared for people to not be what you are looking for
Be prepared to not be what other people are looking for

And, all of that's OK I guess.

Most people are looking for a friend, whether they know it or not
And most people are looking for Christ, whether they know it or not
Just make sure you aren't one of those who aren't
I am well prepared for all of that given I have used OLD before, just not since about 2013 or 2014. I am simply looking for more ways to get dates and experience gradually as asking in person is not often a choice for me or I find it hard which is not to say I've never done it. I did use Match (paid services) no one responded, did attract a couple of scam artists posing as females. I have also used Christian Mingle (no scams) but just never any mutual interest-they did not respond when I messaged or I did not respond when messaged.both due to lack of interest. I also browsed Fitness singles several years ago but never opted for the paid features so did not really use it except to browse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Would it be a good idea for me seek out dates at the same time I'm looking inside myself to figure out answers to these questions/issues?

Sure. Self-improvement is a lifelong process. We're always growing. :)

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0