Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh hey, yes. We are still interested. Forsaken Girl is reading The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. I read it in high school, but that was 20 years ago, so I thought I would reread it with her. We are going to discuss Wednesday. I don't know how far she has gotten, I thought we'd see how far we both are and talk about it. Are you interested in reading The Scarlet Letter? If so and don't have a copy, I'll find a free link for you. I realize not every one has copies of every book. I am a book hoarder, so I am weirdly set up to read any book anyonr might happen to suggest. Let me know if you are interested. :)

I was an English minor in college a long time ago and over the years have read it many times. Are you discussing it by email or starting a thread or what?

Reactions: ForsakenGirl
Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was an English minor in college a long time ago and over the years have read it many times. Are you discussing it by email or starting a thread or what?
I thought I'd start a thread Wednesday. Is that too short notice? I don't know how far ForsakenGirl is in the novel. How about I pm you both Wednesday and remind you? I'll start a thread Wednesday evening and you can jump in if you like? I hated Dimmesdale way more than Chillingworth (I think Hester's husband's last name?) in high school and I wonder if my 17 year old opinions are different from my 37 year old opinions, so looking forward to reading it again.

Let me know if that sounds like a plan. I'll pm all the interested parties Wednesday morning and post tge thread Wednesday night.

Reactions: ForsakenGirl
Upvote 0

fantascey

Oct 21, 2004
Many
✟11,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I would like to join in the book club. I recently reread the harry potter series, and feel that, (even though its possibly been done a million times) we could really start a discussion on that. I like fiction. I have not read the scarlet letter though and seem to be behind so maybe the next book? I also like brandon sanderson, Garth Nix, Tamora pierce, Robin Hobb, and a few other authors. Mostly scifi, but I do also enjoy the classics. (such as Robinson Crusoe. I loved that and it got me into reading in the first place.)

Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would like to join in the book club. I recently reread the harry potter series, and feel that, (even though its possibly been done a million times) we could really start a discussion on that. I like fiction. I have not read the scarlet letter though and seem to be behind so maybe the next book? I also like brandon sanderson, Garth Nix, Tamora pierce, Robin Hobb, and a few other authors. Mostly scifi, but I do also enjoy the classics. (such as Robinson Crusoe. I loved that and it got me into reading in the first place.)
The Scarlet Letter kind of fell flat in the middle of the discussion because Forsaken Girl was too busy.

Some others of us were talking about it. I was rereading it, but left off at chapter five. If you want to read and discuss it, or Harry Potter, or any other book- please let me know which book you would like to read. I am desperate to talk to people about books. I haven't read the authors you mentioned, but have read Harry Potter and Robinson Cruesoe.

Upvote 0

fantascey

Oct 21, 2004
Many
✟11,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I mentioned all my favorite ones. Be aware, that on the weekends, unless i am at the library, i have no internet access. However, i would love to continue our conversations.
Would you prefer we start with a book you have not read? Or a book I have not read? Or a book that both of us have recently read?

Upvote 0

fantascey

Oct 21, 2004
Many
✟11,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
The Scarlet Letter kind of fell flat in the middle of the discussion because Forsaken Girl was too busy.

Some others of us were talking about it. I was rereading it, but left off at chapter five. If you want to read and discuss it, or Harry Potter, or any other book- please let me know which book you would like to read. I am desperate to talk to people about books. I haven't read the authors you mentioned, but have read Harry Potter and Robinson Cruesoe.
also, the reason about the internet, is that i dont have it at home. I do this from work, so if it takes me some time to respond, dont worry! I am here :)

Upvote 0

fantascey

Oct 21, 2004
Many
✟11,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
also, the reason about the internet, is that i dont have it at home. I do this from work, so if it takes me some time to respond, dont worry! I am here :)
If you like fiction, I would like to start on and have not yet read, a Robin Hobb book. live ship traders series? I just found it at the library and havent started, but already checked it out. Usually young adult fiction but some themes can be for more the mature mind in her series'. I also never ever turn down reading any of the authors i posted above. so if you want to do harry potter, i just reread all of those and finished about two weeks ago. Tamora peirce has a very limited amount of books i HAVENT read, but has over 30 books that i Have read. and i love most of them :) i will always read them again. same goes for garth nix. I have not read all of brandon sanderson, but so far have enjoyed the ones i have read. which is Way of Kings, book 1 of the series and Words of Radiance, is book 2. for the life of me i cant think the series name, but the third one comes out in a couple months and i eagerly await it. 'Oathbringer'. Then there is the 'Rithmatist' Which i enjoyed as well, and also has a sequel coming out -- eventually-- . Tamora pierce and Garth Nix are pretty well known. Garth Nix is the author of the kingdom of the keys series, and the Old Kindom series. (used to be a trilogy, but now has more.) It has been a while since i read those. I see also they started a narnia thread in here, we could do those of course.... hm. Was there a type of book that you preferred?

Upvote 0

fantascey

Oct 21, 2004
Many
✟11,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Another series, is the Pendragon Series by D J Machale. (Not about king arthur, the other pendragon books.)
if you wanted to read over a few of the descriptions, let me know what you are interested in and we can get started with reading & discussion of them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fantascey

Oct 21, 2004
Many
✟11,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I am interested in a book club.

Hi there! I posted, but she hasn't gotten back yet with me, i have been trying to check, most every day. What types of books do you like to read? (I hope she didnt give up on it!)

Upvote 0

fantascey

Oct 21, 2004
Many
✟11,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Sounds good! Not so sure if i have read too too many history books. I did read some of the diana gabaldon series. books 1 and 2, before someone told me they are a tv series now. then i stopped. (i dont have a tv so i didnt watch them but my interest in it faded probably halfway through the second book.) that is a time traveling sort of thing. She based the events off of actual historical information, but its fiction. Outlander.

So far as the other things, i took the time to read 'The Jungle' by louis sinclair. That was possibly the most depressing thing i had ever read.... don't really want to do that again, but it was surely a good historical insight. I have also read some autobiographies and biographies, to include several accountings of the titanic disaster, eleanor and franklin (roosevelt), and several historical accounts of native american indians, and also of the black plague.

I do not know too many fiction christian author names, so I have not read too much of that, since i enjoy fiction. I did read the young adult series of Left behind, which I enjoyed..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fantascey

Oct 21, 2004
Many
✟11,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I just joined the forum but this sounds good. Can I play? : - )
so far as i know! no one has said anything to read yet though and the original thread starter seems to have forgotten us for a bit.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I just finished Animal Farm by George Orwell. (I know. I should have read it in high school.) It might be a good book to discuss. It's a great satire on communism. The good news that it's short, only 141 pages.

Reactions: Pilgrim
Upvote 0

fantascey

Oct 21, 2004
Many
✟11,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I just finished Animal Farm by George Orwell. (I know. I should have read it in high school.) It might be a good book to discuss. It's a great satire on communism. The good news that it's short, only 141 pages.
I never actually read it. I changed schools multiple times, but im not sure that was on the reading list for us anywhere.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I never actually read it. I changed schools multiple times, but im not sure that was on the reading list for us anywhere.
I say that didn't read it high school, but I didn't read much at all then.

It's not difficult to read. If you want to work read it, let me know.

Another novel that I've stared is The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. It might be a tad more difficult than Animal Farm. It's fairly readable though.

Upvote 0