One Week Fast

MedicGirl

Jun 26, 2004
✟116.00
Faith
Christian
Hello, all.

I have been so far away from God these past few weeks, and I've been using food as a way of numbing the feelings I am having. Accordingly, I"ve decided to fast for a little over a week in order to draw closer to Him and avoid the food that is actually distracting me. I've recently left an abusive situation at home, and I"ve been having a difficult time adapting to my new-found independence. I've been using food as a comfort, and not God. This week, I'm going to focus on my relationship with Him and other people, and see if we can't make some progress. Any and all support is welcome. By the way, it's not a complete fast in that I am going to drink one can of nutritional supplement every day so my hair doesn't fall out, I don't get anemic, my body doesn't eat away at my muscle, etc. etc. I think it's ok. Hey, I hate those things any way!

DSGodChild

Newbiesaurus Rex
Jun 24, 2004
Texas, USA
✟7,724.00
Faith
Christian
Hey MedicGirl,

That's an impressive decision. I admire your drive, and that you are working to show God that he really is most important to you. Please be careful though. Not eating for a week won't kill you, but it could exacerbate any medical condition you already have.

I do hope that this fast does bring you closer to God, and that it helps you in your transition. Good luck, and I pray for your strength (I know that I would need a lot :) ).

Upvote 0

MedicGirl

Jun 26, 2004
✟116.00
Faith
Christian
Thank you, DSGodchild. I appreciate your support. I will get through this. Hey, I've gone almost an hour and a half without eating so far *rolls eyes*. I don't think I have any medical conditions that would be aggravated by a fast--I've been binging for the past MONTH, and so I've got plenty of fat reserves. It's just a matter of will power, I think. I may have a can of juice first thing in the morning for a couple of days to ease myself into it.

Without food to distract me, I should be able to have much more time to spend with God and other people. And I won't be exercising nearly as much as I have been (four or so hours a day to prepare for boot camp) so that will be good. I can't wait to see the physical and spiritual results.

The only problem is that I have ambulance duty next Friday--I don't want to be too weak for that. I will trust God to give me strength, though.

Upvote 0

but'n'ben

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset
Feb 24, 2004
✟1,638.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I tried to do a 3 day no food fast. After 2 days I was ready to collapse. I'm already underweight and stress had made me lose a further stone in 2 weeks prior to the fast. So, I had to eat again. But now I'm almost done with my week without Coke. I am abolutely addicted to Coca-Cola. I can get through up to 5+ cans a day.

Found this more bearable. It only really hits me when I automatically get a can, ready to open it and think 'oh yeah, I'm going without it' and stick it back in the fridge for it to taunt me!

Good luck though. Good idea with the nutritional supplement. At least then your body should be able to cope, but it's the mind that we're ultimately aiming to condition. You'll be fine!

Upvote 0

MedicGirl

Jun 26, 2004
✟116.00
Faith
Christian
Sorry to say, I didn't last 15 hours! What can I say, I will humbly admit that I am weak. How should I begin again? Should I slowly ease into the fast? I don't want to juice fast, but the bottom line is that I do need to fast. Maybe I'll try to do a three day-er. I feel like a failure; like I am weak and have no will power. :-(

Upvote 0

MedicGirl

Jun 26, 2004
✟116.00
Faith
Christian
but'n'ben said:
I tried to do a 3 day no food fast. After 2 days I was ready to collapse. I'm already underweight and stress had made me lose a further stone in 2 weeks prior to the fast. So, I had to eat again. But now I'm almost done with my week without Coke. I am abolutely addicted to Coca-Cola. I can get through up to 5+ cans a day.

!
How much is a stone?

Upvote 0

DSGodChild

Newbiesaurus Rex
Jun 24, 2004
Texas, USA
✟7,724.00
Faith
Christian
Maybe a week is a little long to start out. A lot of the people I know just do one day fasts; if you do feel like you need to do more then, go for it. I remember reading about one of the saints (St. Anthony, I believe...) that fasted for years by just having bread and water once a day. I know that's still eating, but seriously, it would be fasting. :)

Don't beat yourself up for failing. We are all weak, and are all failures, and we have realized it. That's why we are Christians. Keep your chin up, and I'll say a prayer for your next attempt.

Upvote 0

but'n'ben

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset
Feb 24, 2004
✟1,638.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
7 or 8 lb. I was originally 7 stone. After the 2 weeks I was less than 6.

Don't worry about not lasting very long. It's so hard to give uo food totally. I only lasted 2 days. Just give something else up that you like. I know me giving up Coca-Cola is hardly impressive, but it's something I love and it's hard to give up. Tomorrow is my last day but I'm considering doing another week.

Upvote 0

nb_christseeker

Jul 3, 2004
✟1,362.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
remember y'all, do you want to get rewarded here for your fasting or rewarded by the Father? I know its a discussion board and I respect that, i'm not trying to poop on anyone. I'm just saying that you don't want to nullify the effects of your devotion to God.

One line I really find interesting is this: mat 9:15 i think...
And Jesus said to them, Can the sons of the bridechamber mourn so long as the bridegroom is with them? But days will come when the bridegroom will have been taken away from them, and then they will fast.

is the bridegroom gone? yea... so then we will? fast.
yea. jesus said we should be fasting. he probably is expecting all christians to fast.
i know he's expecting all christians to pray and to give.
speaking of giving, it shouldn't only be given to churches... if you see some
homeless dude or beggar, give them some money too. they'll probly appreciate it more

peace be with you, and sorry if i stepped on any toes... this is just my 2nd post.

love,
neil becker

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums