One true Church?

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I do not believe that relying on Gods word, Jesus' real flesh, is strange brew and man made. It is truth and life, the light of the world. We will agree to disagree. Believing in Gods son is #1. And we both agree on that. What we actually do (mercy, forgiveness, LOVE #1) is what determines our reward in heaven. Not what man made traditions you follow. IMHO. Peace.
Nice strawman you’ve got there. Be a real shame if somebody knocked it down.

“Relying on God’s word” is fine in its place. My objection is and was to strange brew, ahistorical, man-made doctrines like “sola scriptura”.

• Winner
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,986.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Please answer with scripture. Peace
Can you show me where scripture says it is the complete sum of all the Christian faith? Until you can, PLEASE stop using this argument?

As far as where is the Mass in scripture....did you ever hear of the Book of Revelations? The heavenly liturgy is very well described.

In addition, here is a quick read if the Spirit moves you to click on the link.
Catholic Bible 101

• Winner
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know of a few churches that believe that their church is the one true church, and all others are either less than they are or are flat out going to hell.

First of all, I am Catholic. My church believes this. Other churches are "separated"

I think the main difference between Catholic Churches and Protestant churches is Communion.

Catholic churches believe that it is literally him, produced in the Catholic only process of transubstantiation. But at the last supper he held it up, before he was sacrificed, and said,"this is my body"

Protestant churches believe that it is a memorial meal only, and a symbol. But Jesus said about the bread "this is my body"

What if it is him, symbolically and literally, and both are right, and both are wrong? That would mean that you will be judged on how much you loved others and showed mercy, no mater what rituals you did or church you belonged to.

New International Version
For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.

Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

I do believe this. And I believe that the church with a small "c" catholic, is the universal church of all who believe in and love and follow Jesus. Peace

The main difference between the Catholic church and the Protestant church is really pretty simple.

The Protestant church at its core accepts the Bible as the Word of God and works to follow its directions.

The Catholic church on the other hand accepts "The Traditions of men and the direction of the Pope" as their authority and work to follow their directions.

When that is the case, the door is then opened for many none Biblical teachings.

Here are just a few of the teachings which are NOT FOUND IN THE BIBLE...…...............
  1. The Catholic church is the one true church
  2. Infallibility of the Catholic Church
  3. Only the Roman Catholic Church has authority to interpret Scripture
  4. The Pope is the head of the church and has the authority of Christ
  5. The Roman Catholic Church is necessary for salvation
  6. Sacred Tradition equal to scripture
  7. Forgiveness of sins, salvation, is by faith and works
  8. Full benefit of Salvation is only through the Roman Catholic Church
  9. Grace can be merited"
  10. The merit of Mary and the Saints can be applied to Catholics and others
  11. Penance is necessary for salvation
  12. Purgatory
  13. Indulgences
  14. Mary was sinless
  15. Prayer to the saints
  16. The Communion elements become the actual body and blood ofChrist.A list of false teachings in the Roman Catholic Church | CARM.org
There are at least that many which I did not post because ……...what would be the point????

There will be those who will immediately reject what I just posted.....However, if you just use your Bible you will see very quickly that they can not be found in that Bible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,986.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here are just a few of the teachings which are NOT FOUND IN THE BIBLE...…...............
  1. The Catholic church is the one true church
True.
  1. Infallibility of the Catholic Church
False
  1. Only the Roman Catholic Church has authority to interpret Scripture
True
  1. The Pope is the head of the church and has the authority of Christ
False
  1. The Roman Catholic Church is necessary for salvation
True
  1. Sacred Tradition equal to scripture
False
  1. Forgiveness of sins, salvation, is by faith and works
False
  1. Full benefit of Salvation is only through the Roman Catholic Church
False
  1. Grace can be merited"
False
  1. The merit of Mary and the Saints can be applied to Catholics and others
True
  1. Penance is necessary for salvation
False
  1. Purgatory
True
  1. Indulgences
Double dipping here
  1. Mary (there are many false doctrines concerning Mary found in Roman Catholicism, here are a few)
?
  1. Prayer to the saints
True
  1. The Communion elements become the actual body and blood ofChrist.
True

I think this is a failing grade. The internet isnt always correct

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikeangel

Mar 7, 2017
usa
✟19,868.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The main difference between the Catholic church and the Protestant church is really pretty simple.

The Protestant church at its core accepts the Bible as the Word of God and works to follow its directions.

The Catholic church on the other hand accepts "The Traditions of men and the direction of the Pope" as their authority and work to follow their directions.

I agree with you on many of these things. I also have a few differences with alot of the Protestant views as well. They say they are following the Bible and using it only as a guide. (I am going to speak of Baptist and Church of Christ because Im married to a Baptist and grew up by a Church of Christ).

#1- During the service, the Lords prayer is never said, even though, when the disciples asked him how to pray, he said not to babble on with multiplications of words, but to say-"Our Father......". A direct instruction that is not followed IMHO

#2-The Masons are allowed by most of the Protestants. You state unity with an organization who has GAOTU (stands for great architect of the universe, which is compromised by every deity known to man, not just Jesus). The Bible clearly states Jesus alone is the way.

#3. Like in post above I stated, Jesus said "this is my body". I do not agree with the way Catholics think it is produced, but I do think it is him. because he said it was. Not a symbol. He did not say,"this represents my body ", or "this is a symbol of my body". He said it was his body.

Satan has done a good job splitting believers up. But my point still is, that every believer of Christ that repents of their sin and loves others as much as they can, is the true church. Peace to all :)

• Winner
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think this is a failing grade. The internet isnt always correct

This is an excellent well thought out response and I agree completely. That is why I read and base my opinions in the Written Word of God instead of men and or churches.

As a Catholic believer there is actually nothing else you could say is there??

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with you on many of these things. I also have a few differences with alot of the Protestant views as well. They say they are following the Bible and using it only as a guide. (I am going to speak of Baptist and Church of Christ because Im married to a Baptist and grew up by a Church of Christ).

#1- During the service, the Lords prayer is never said, even though, when the disciples asked him how to pray, he said not to babble on with multiplications of words, but to say-"Our Father......". A direct instruction that is not followed IMHO

#2-The Masons are allowed by most of the Protestants. You state unity with an organization who has GAOTU (stands for great architect of the universe, which is compromised by every deity known to man, not just Jesus). The Bible clearly states Jesus alone is the way.

#3. Like in post above I stated, Jesus said "this is my body". I do not agree with the way Catholics think it is produced, but I do think it is him. because he said it was. Not a symbol. He did not say,"this represents my body ", or "this is a symbol of my body". He said it was his body.

Satan has done a good job splitting believers up. But my point still is, that every believer of Christ that repents of their sin and loves others as much as they can, is the true church. Peace to all :)

I understand, however, I must tell you that what you are posting is actually what you have misunderstood.

PLEASE, do not think that I am being disrespectful to you as I am not looing to argue with you.

#1.
The "Lords Prayer" was never a command to follow. It was NOT an instruction of what we must say but instead was an example of how we should pray. It was a MODEL!!!Every prayer should........
1. Recognize who God is.
2. Ask for His will for the earth.
3. Ask for His provision in our lives.
4. Seek forgiveness.
5. Seek protection.
6. Seek continued obedience.

We praise God for who He is, submit to Him, and make requests based on our knowledge of Him.

IF....IF we say and repeat the actual and literal words of the Lords prayer then we would be doing exactly what Scriptures tell us not to in Matthew 6:7......
"And in praying do not heap up “vain repetitions” as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard for their many words."

#2.
Mason's are involved in EVERY denomination on the earth. They take an oath to …...
"Forever conceal and never reveal my identity to any man or organization".

It is no more applied to a Baptist church than it is a Catholic church as the church itself does not know who is and who is not.

[STAFF EDITED]

When we read the scriptures we can we that they refer to the elements as the body and blood, but we also see Jesus clearly stating that the words He was speaking were spiritual words when talking about eating his flesh and drinking his blood in John 6:63--

"It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life,".

Then as to your comment of the True church......I agree 100%.

The ONE TRUE church is made up of BORN AGAIN believers of the Lord Jesus Christ as He is the only door to heaven.

John 14:6...…….
"I am the way the truth and the life and NO ONE come to the Father except by me".

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Winner
Reactions: BrotherD
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

ooops. Double post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
John 10:16
And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

The problem with knowing what or who the one true church of God is, is that not all people who call themselves Christians are really Christians. The Lord Jesus Himself revealed that on the Day of Judgment, many will claim they lived their lives for Christ but will be exposed as "Christians" in name only:

Matthew 7:22-23...……....
" On judgment day many will say to me, 'Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.' But I will reply, I never you, depart from me ye workers of iniquity".

• Agree
Reactions: mikeangel
Upvote 0

Gwendolynz

Dec 25, 2019
Portland, OR
✟17,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I know of a few churches that believe that their church is the one true church, and all others are either less than they are or are flat out going to hell.

First of all, I am Catholic. My church believes this. Other churches are "separated"

I think the main difference between Catholic Churches and Protestant churches is Communion.

Catholic churches believe that it is literally him, produced in the Catholic only process of transubstantiation. But at the last supper he held it up, before he was sacrificed, and said,"this is my body"

Protestant churches believe that it is a memorial meal only, and a symbol. But Jesus said about the bread "this is my body"

What if it is him, symbolically and literally, and both are right, and both are wrong? That would mean that you will be judged on how much you loved others and showed mercy, no mater what rituals you did or church you belonged to.

For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.

Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

I do believe this. And I believe that the church with a small "c" catholic, is the universal church of all who believe in and love and follow Jesus. Peace

I'm pretty no nonsense as a believer. At the church I attend there is lots of ritualism, and liturgy that seem a bit over the top to me. I attend to receive the Sacrament, and to worship God. I already did the contriteness and repentance before I walked in the door. In my worship I strive to leave there walking more devoutly beside my God. Others have the freedom to worship God in the way they think right.

Upvote 0

mikeangel

Mar 7, 2017
usa
✟19,868.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, there is NO Bible verification that we are to eat the literal body of Christ.

John 6:53

Jesus said to them, "Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe Jesus was the big bang. All things came to be through him. Without him nothing was made. He is all in all. Communion is both literal and symbolicly him IMHO. Peace

Communion can not be literally consuming the body and blood of Jesus Christ.

Acts 21:25......…...
"abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality."

Can you explain how the thief on the cross did not eat Jesus' body or drink His blood, BUT Jesus said that he would go to heaven that very day. Did Jesus lie when He told him that He would be with Him in heaven that very day?????

THINK this through my friend.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Can you show me where scripture says it is the complete sum of all the Christian faith? Until you can, PLEASE stop using this argument?

As far as where is the Mass in scripture....did you ever hear of the Book of Revelations? The heavenly liturgy is very well described.

In addition, here is a quick read if the Spirit moves you to click on the link.
Catholic Bible 101

I realize that this is a waste of time for me to post this for YOU however there may be some other people who will read what YOU asked for and accept the truth of God's Word.

The Catholic Church's argument implies that its tradition is superior to Scripture which is exactly what you personally use as a fall back argument.

So then, when Sacred Tradition is claimed to be the thing by which Scripture is given, then tradition is inadvertently the thing that gives blessing and approval to the Bible.

But to that way of thinking the Bible says in Hebrews 7:7 says...…
"But without any dispute the lesser is blessed by the greater."

The unfortunate psychological effect of saying that Roman Catholic tradition is what gave us the Bible is that it elevates their tradition to a level far greater than what is permitted in Scripture. In fact, it is contradicted by scripture in 1 Corth. 4:6...…..

"Now these things, brethren, I have figuratively applied to myself and Apollos for your sakes, that in us you might learn not to exceed what is written, in order that no one of you might become arrogant in behalf of one against the other."

It is clear to those who want to know the truth that The Bible tells us to obey the Word of God - to not go beyond the written Word in 1 Corth 4:6.

Unfortunately, the problem with an elevated status of Roman Catholic church tradition is that it results in various justifications of its non-biblical teachings such as prayer to Mary, purgatory, indulgences, penance, works of righteousness, etc.

Because the RCC has deviated from trusting God's Word alone, it has ventured into unscriptural areas.(Did the Roman Catholic church give us our Bible? | CARM.org).

Then In Fact....there is NO book in the Bible called "Book of RevelationS".

There is a book called "The Revelation of Jesus Christ".

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The unfortunate psychological effect of saying that Roman Catholic tradition is what gave us the Bible is that it elevates their tradition to a level far greater than what is permitted in Scripture. In fact, it is contradicted by scripture in 1 Corth. 4:6...…..

More than that, the fact is that it's an appeal to patently incorrect history to make such a claim.

Whatever the councils of the early church did, it wasn't the Catholic Church doing it. Not by itself.

Aside from the Gnostics, Arians, and similar heretics, what is being referred to with this claim is the history of the "Undivided Church" from which came the Roman Church, but also the Eastern Orthodox churches, the Oriental Orthodox churches (as they are now called), and others.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Catholic Church's argument implies that its tradition is superior to Scripture
She really doesn't. But don't let that mess you up, I guess.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,986.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
More than that, the fact is that it's an appeal to patently incorrect history to make such a claim.

Whatever the councils of the early church did, it wasn't the Catholic Church doing it. Not by itself.

Aside from the Gnostics, Arians, and similar heretics, what is being referred to with this claim is the history of the "Undivided Church" from which came the Roman Church, but also the Eastern Orthodox churches, the Oriental Orthodox churches (as they are now called), and others.

l
l
V

I reject all this argument and unkindness. Good grief it is the day after Christmas people. I think that it was a mistake to come here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0