Jan 29, 2010
✟839,113.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Progressive still means “progressive”, what has changed is that the Republican Party has veered off WAAAY or the Right, so much so that they’ve abandoned tried & true Conservative Principles such as “States’ Rights”, (cf, Texas vs PA, WI, MI & GA)

I think that we need to be careful about the label of "far right" to the Republican Party, unless you are using an entirely new mean for the term. The are many Republicans who are far right with respect to US politics. Many, many of these folks do not support the Trump system of governance, although they had little choice in the past 4 years.

Trump and his followers are NOT ideological members of the far right. They are populists who prefer autocratic rule. They are anti-immigrant. They are anti-nonwhites of every category. They are fine with huge deficit spending. They favor centralization of power, not only in the federal government, but in the presidency. They oppose the very nature of the US government. Their model is for one man to control all, and for his henchmen to use every branch of government to directly enact his will. We have many models throughout the world of this model. It is said that this system only needs to be elected once.

The US system has proved stronger than other systems threatened by elected autocrats. The US system has been tested and the system has won; the people have won. But make no mistake, we are only one election away from darkness, unless we take structural steps to protect against autocracy.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Trump and his followers are NOT ideological members of the far right. They are populists who prefer autocratic rule.
Justify that claim.

They are anti-immigrant.
and that one.

They are anti-nonwhites of every category.

Good grief. I am honestly very disappointed to read such racist nonsense being parroted by someone of your stature. :(

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you okay with the idea of a one party rule for the US? If so, state your reasoning. If not, state your reasoning.

Discuss....

No, of course not. Contrary to Pelosi and her Bidenesta’s I believe in democracy. There has to be checks and balances.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,113.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Good grief. I am honestly very disappointed to read such racist nonsense being parroted by someone of your stature. :(

I have been watching the Trump/Bannon/Miller Party for 5 years, and have listened carefully to their rhetoric. I am parroting nothing. If you are disappointed, be disappointed with me, someone who has followed politics for over 60 years. There is no question in my mind. The rhetoric of the leadership is anti-immigrant and anti-black. There is no question that the legal campaign after the campaign is the most embarrassing in our history, certainly in over a hundred years. Even now, there are those calling for martial law, and waiting to see whether Trump will still be president on January 21st (that includes the WH spokesperson).

I DO NOT, DO NOT believe that the policies of the troika and their fearless leader is the policy of all Republicans. I have had respect for many in the Republican party for decades, including much of their leadership. I even recall having respect for Goldwater, someone who I disagree with more than anyone else. But that was then. The current Republican Party controlled by Trump is NOT the party of the last century. FOR NOW, 21st century Republicanism is much, much different.

As an aside, I understand what McConnell has done in the past month or so. Trump, his leader and his president, wanted to exhaust the most ridiculous legal actions in history, led by the weakest legal team in recent memory. McConnell allowed Trump's cases to run out, as well as his direct (illegal) appeals to state legislatures to overturn the election. McConnell did not step in when state officials, mostly Republicans had their lives threatened by those who heeded his call for overthrow of the election. He did not step in when state officials were called enemies of the state and worse. That was not his role. McConnell waited until the delegates of the states cast their ballots. He accepted their vote. He has said that he will work with the new president. We shall see. We only need him to work better with Biden than he did with Obama. And, yes, McConnell and Biden can work together on common ground (should they bot make that choice). Yes, there can be a bi-partisan Gang Of 8 that do a lot of the hard work of negotiation.

ON THE OTHER HAND, I will forever remember those who directly attacked the election and those refused to stand up for democracy. Cruz will never be elected again. Ditto for Rubio.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have been watching the Trump/Bannon/Miller Party for 5 years, and have listened carefully to their rhetoric. I am parroting nothing. .
Even worse...to be told those are your own warped convictions. I had been giving you the benefit of the doubt by the way I worded that last post.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,113.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Even worse...to be told those are your own warped convictions. I had been giving you the benefit of the doubt by the way I worded that last post.
I understand and appreciate you giving me the benefit of the doubt.

Upvote 0