One More, Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

babychrist

Not everyone is called to be a priest. Not even all men. There is so much more to being a priest than just celebrating Divine Liturgy. It was not until I applied to Orthodox Seminary in 2002 that I came to the realization that my calling in life is NOT to the priesthood. Upon leaving the Roman Church and becoming Orthodox I still thought I had a desire to be a priest. I even went so far as beginning the application process to an Orthodox seminary with the approval of the Church to attend. But as often happens God made it clear to me that priesthood was not my calling in life and that I should be content with the work he had given me in iconography. This was a hard lesson for me to swallow but I have been much more content with life since I have accepted it.

I understand. But in my case, it seems like someone would just have to look at me and say, "You're not qualified". That I would be rejected not because of my lack of abilities or charism, but simply because I'm me. And I can't describe to you how demeaning that is, how it can lead to feelings of self-hatred and the feeling that I "just don't measure up to a man" (that I'm second-rate). And that if Christ were here now, He'd concur --that even He would reject me, because I'm me. But I'm hoping that Fr. Hopko's book I just purchased will not only lead me to a better understanding of why the EO doesn't call women to the priesthood, but to restore my self-image and sense of self-worth in the process. Chances are, I don't understand the EO reason behind this, having come from a conservative Lutheran and Roman Catholic background. Right now, I just need to take a breath, let all of the hurt and anxiety this issue causes me to dissipate, so that I have room to soak in Fr. Hopko's book. Please pray for me.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I understand. But in my case, it seems like someone would just have to look at me and say, "You're not qualified". That I would be rejected not because of my lack of abilities or charism, but simply because I'm me. And I can't describe to you how demeaning that is, how it can lead to feelings of self-hatred and the feeling that I "just don't measure up to a man" (that I'm second-rate). And that if Christ were here now, He'd concur --that even He would reject me, because I'm me. But I'm hoping that Fr. Hopko's book I just purchased will not only lead me to a better understanding of why the EO doesn't call women to the priesthood, but to restore my self-image and sense of self-worth in the process. Chances are, I don't understand the EO reason behind this, having come from a conservative Lutheran and Roman Catholic background. Right now, I just need to take a breath, let all of the hurt and anxiety this issue causes me to dissipate, so that I have room to soak in Fr. Hopko's book. Please pray for me.

How is it demeaning that only men were chosen as apostles and thus the Church has followed that pattern and only chosen men as bishops and priests? The priesthood formed out of the episcopacy and thus it is taught by the Church that only men are to be bishops and priests. This is no slam on women for the Church holds women in the highest esteem. The Church in NO WAY teaches women to be second rate citizens. If you are lead to feelings of self hate and inferiority because of this it is not God who is the author of those feelings. The devil is using this issue to divide you from the true faith of the Apostles. This is simply how Christ wanted it and whether we like it or not it is our job to humbly submit to the very will of God himself.

As for the comments about conservative Roman Catholic background I do not get that because Rome agrees with Orthodoxy on this matter and only ordains men to the episcopacy and priesthood.

Upvote 0

nutroll

Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟280,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But this is logically and theologically untenable. Logically, because the Church doesn't prevent African Americans, Anglo-Saxons ect. or anyone over the age of 33 to officiate. If the reason for not allowing women to officiate is that men serve as a better physical representative, then why limit the criteria to gender? Also, the priests acts in the "person" of the Church (which is feminine). And theologically, because salvation is synonymous with being conformed into the image of Christ (and physicality must be included in that, otherwise we are not counting our bodies among those things which Christ saves).

I don't think it is logically or theologically untenable. To suggest that the difference between races or age groups is as profound as the differences between the sexes, to me, is logically untenable. Very few priests will look all that much like Jesus physically, based on ethnicity, age, facial features, etc., but they look like Jesus in a very important way. Jesus Christ is the new Adam, the model of perfect obedience, the restoration of man to communion with God. While it is absurd to think that women are not counted in this restoration, men adhere more closely to the archetype of Adam, and of Christ. It is not a question merely of physical appearance but of physical archetype. The Theotokos is the new Eve, the one who says "yes" to God, and by her consent ushers in the restoration of mankind in the person of Christ. Women are more representative of this archetype. This may seem absurd to some people, but there is a real difference between men and women, and while they are equal, they represent different things in the human psyche. You made mention of this in your OP that there are certain things that you associate with being a woman that are archetypal traits. Just consider for a moment (and be honest with yourself) how you would feel if a movie was made about the life of Jesus, where Jesus was played by a woman. Now think about if that role was played by an older man, or played by an african american man, or an anglo saxon man. Does one not seem like far more of a departure than the other? If you really think that they are the same, then I'm not sure anyone can convince you otherwise.

I know it's true, but it's little comfort unless we are to suppose that Christ's bodily presence in the Church is no more significant than His spiritual presence.

This was actually the departure point on which I built the rest of my post, which you didn't really respond to. I would really suggest that you look into the Orthodox understanding of the Eucharist. It is quite different than in the West. The West really seems to have fallen prey to rampant clericalism, which the Protestants over-corrected leading often to rampant anti-clericalism. In the Orthodox understanding, the priest leads the congregation, as one of the congregation in the work that they do together. The priest does not do anything of his own accord, but on behalf of the assembly of the people. To be fair, they do play a special role, but it is something that ought not to be desired after. As the priest prays in the Liturgy, "for to serve thee is a great and terrible thing even to the Heavenly Powers." The priesthood is a calling, and one that should never be taken lightly, because while it is no more important than the role of the laity in the consecration of the gifts, it brings with it the tremendous responsibility of being accountable for the proper distribution of the Eucharist. It is for this reason that so many saints of the Church have tried to run from this calling. It is a heavy burden. It is much easier to be the crowd that gives its amen to the transformation of the gifts, where one needs only worry about their own unworthiness to receive, than having responsibility for all who come to the chalice.

Reactions: Michael G
Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nutroll said:
The priesthood is a calling, and one that should never be taken lightly, because while it is no more important than the role of the laity in the consecration of the gifts, it brings with it the tremendous responsibility of being accountable for the proper distribution of the Eucharist. It is for this reason that so many saints of the Church have tried to run from this calling. It is a heavy burden. It is much easier to be the crowd that gives its amen to the transformation of the gifts, where one needs only worry about their own unworthiness to receive, than having responsibility for all who come to the chalice.

Yes, you are exactly correct Matt! The priesthood is so much more than being able to consecrate the Eucharist. The priest has the spiritual care of every member of his flock to which he is responsible to God. I am not sure that is a responsibility I would ever even want to think about. It is so much easier to be a Christian responsible for one soul only than to be responsible for a whole parish of souls and the souls of every Christian who asks your pastoral advice in any manner.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,270.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Michael's right. One of the big things we are called to in Orthodoxy (ALL of us) is humility and submission (giving up) of what WE want. Dying to our selves. Every day. It looks like you need to die to these ideas of what you want and what seems fair to you. All of the saints went around calling themselves second-rate and embracing that status. That they really didn't measure up, and went around living a life as holy as they could to do their best to measure up. Humility IS demeaning one's self; to stop taking our self seriously and even to laugh at it.

The self (whoops - almost wrote "these elves" :) ) is what is to be killed. Thus, in Orthodoxy, we don't talk about "self-image" or "self-worth" (ideas fanatically pushed starting in school), because those are things that we are to disdain, but instead to look at ourselves, see the silly clowns that we are and laugh, and be grateful that Christ loves us anyway.

Angels fly because they take themselves lightly.
GK Chesterton

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,270.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
by the way, this is one of the reservations my dad has about the Orthodox church. it doesn't really bother me all that much though.
Your dad is probably bothered by it because he sees it as a human institution that seeks to control/manipulate people. Since it always remains 100% voluntary, it's really hard to fear. Plus, we, in general, don't like the idea of submission - we want to be the "masters of our fate and the captain of our souls". How did Lucifer fall and in what was the sin of Adam and Eve? We don't WANT to really submit to God.

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Women's participation has little to do with discrimination and more to do with role differentiation to me. We all have different roles. We had women deacons in the Church. They are difunct today. We are working in bringing back that role of the woman deacon. We already have women subdeacons in our parishes and our monasteries. Yes, I understand that we have to reply to those whose voice are getting louder about women in the Church.. We have to realize that women need to be active in ministry we have plenty of evidence that prove women were more active before than today... We had women "equal to the apostles"... I do not agree personally that women's role stops at the "baking the prosphora" ONLY... Women were and still are the mothers of the Bishops, Apostles, teachers, chanters, scholars, theologians etc. Just like men they have a calling to serve in a given community ... How is it that a priest is more nutroring than a Sunday school teacher, youth director/ lay minister or a woman active in hopsital ministry in her parish who may or may not be an official sub deacon? Just because she does not have the "tittle"?

These "generalizations" about women's roles and ministry do not stand as since the beginning of the Church women were present and active. Church history disproves that women were deprived from their involvement in the Church...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
where did i say they were female clergy?... if so please so I can edit..

Women deaconseses also were administering the Eucarist to the women's ward in the Hospital in Byzantine times. They were NOT involved as far as we know in "celebrating" Liturgy they did not have "liturgical" roles. I want to make this clear. True they helped with the 'baptismal" rite with women catechumens also.

Upvote 0
B

babychrist

How is it demeaning that only men were chosen as apostles and thus the Church has followed that pattern and only chosen men as bishops and priests? The priesthood formed out of the episcopacy and thus it is taught by the Church that only men are to be bishops and priests. This is no slam on women for the Church holds women in the highest esteem. The Church in NO WAY teaches women to be second rate citizens. If you are lead to feelings of self hate and inferiority because of this it is not God who is the author of those feelings. The devil is using this issue to divide you from the true faith of the Apostles. This is simply how Christ wanted it and whether we like it or not it is our job to humbly submit to the very will of God himself.

As for the comments about conservative Roman Catholic background I do not get that because Rome agrees with Orthodoxy on this matter and only ordains men to the episcopacy and priesthood.

Yes, but this does not mean the reasoning behind it is the same. As I said before someone only has to look at me and say, "You're not qualified". It's like looking at an African American and saying, "You're not qualified" simply because you are African American (It is as if some churches (not the EO necessarily), has put a sign over the altar saying, "Women Need Not Apply".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
B

babychrist

Michael's right. One of the big things we are called to in Orthodoxy (ALL of us) is humility and submission (giving up) of what WE want. Dying to our selves. Every day. It looks like you need to die to these ideas of what you want and what seems fair to you. All of the saints went around calling themselves second-rate and embracing that status. That they really didn't measure up, and went around living a life as holy as they could to do their best to measure up. Humility IS demeaning one's self; to stop taking our self seriously and even to laugh at it.

The self (whoops - almost wrote "these elves" :) ) is what is to be killed. Thus, in Orthodoxy, we don't talk about "self-image" or "self-worth" (ideas fanatically pushed starting in school), because those are things that we are to disdain, but instead to look at ourselves, see the silly clowns that we are and laugh, and be grateful that Christ loves us anyway.

GK Chesterton

I disagree that this is how we ought to understand "humility". Self-loathing, lack of self-worth, can become a sin, it can lead to dispair, depression, suicide ect. There's nothing Christian about it. And besides if I stopped pushing for "what I want", then why ask Christ for anything at all, after all, He's going to do what He wants to do anyways. God implants in us desires and wants, and we are right to want something if that something is Christ-centered and good. Remember Paul said it is good to be zealous so long as we are zealous for the right things. Afterall, we are called to cooperate with God, we are not robots, we have a will and a desire to go along with it.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, but this does not mean the reasoning behind it is the same. As I said before someone only has to look at me and say, "You're not qualified". It's like looking at an African American and saying, "You're not qualified" simply because you are African American (It is as if some churches (not the EO necessarily), has put a sign over the altar saying, "Women Need Not Apply".

I am sorry, but it is completely erroneous to equate gender with race. Race is an exterior thing, based on how one looks, gender is a genetic thing, based on ones genetic makeup. We have tried multiple times on this thread to make it clear to you that the priesthood is so, so much more than being on the altar. As a matter of fact, I would venture to say that praying Divine Liturgy is only about 1/4 of the priests time, if that. The rest of the time is spent being a father to the parish and last I checked, women can not be fathers. It is not a matter of qualification, it is a matter of being an icon of the new Adam, Christ. Adam had a y chromosone, last I checked.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
where did i say they were female clergy?... if so please so I can edit..

Women deaconseses also were administering the Eucarist to the women's ward in the Hospital in Byzantine times. They were NOT involved as far as we know in "celebrating" Liturgy they did not have "liturgical" roles. I want to make this clear. True they helped with the 'baptismal" rite with women catechumens also.

You did not, but your post was a bit vaguely worded, so I wanted to make sure you made it clear they were not clergy. There are those among the liberals within our church and other churches that think that deaconesses were female clergy.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I disagree that this is how we ought to understand "humility". Self-loathing, lack of self-worth, can become a sin, it can lead to dispair, depression, suicide ect. There's nothing Christian about it. And besides if I stopped pushing for "what I want", then why ask Christ for anything at all, after all, He's going to do what He wants to do anyways. God implants in us desires and wants, and we are right to want something if that something is Christ-centered and good. Remember Paul said it is good to be zealous so long as we are zealous for the right things. Afterall, we are called to cooperate with God, we are not robots, we have a will and a desire to go along with it.

NO. Depression, dispair and suicide are mental illnesses and sins and are not of God at all. True Christian humility understands that "what I want" is not what is important in this world, but rather what God wants of me. We do not ask God for what we want, we ask him for what he wants of us. My philosophy professor in seminary was a very wise man and he once made the comment about people thinking God is a "sugar daddy in the sky." The point of Christian prayer is not to ask God for what I think is best for me, but rather to ask him to have mercy on me and teach me to be content with what God gives me. Wanting something that goes totally counter to 2000 years of Christian teaching is NOT Christ centered. Thus your desire to pray Divine Liturgy and consecrate the Eucharist is not of God.

Upvote 0
B

babychrist

I don't think it is logically or theologically untenable. To suggest that the difference between races or age groups is as profound as the differences between the sexes, to me, is logically untenable. Very few priests will look all that much like Jesus physically, based on ethnicity, age, facial features, etc., but they look like Jesus in a very important way. Jesus Christ is the new Adam, the model of perfect obedience, the restoration of man to communion with God. While it is absurd to think that women are not counted in this restoration, men adhere more closely to the archetype of Adam, and of Christ.

But this plays right into what I said previously about it being theological untenable (imho). How are women counted in this restoration of fallen Adam? It must be in the same way as their male counterparts for there is only one Christ and one Salvation. If we say "men adhere more closely to the archetype of Adam and of Christ", how do we maintain women's equality in the economy of salvation (salvation again, being the restoration of Adam/Man).

It is not a question merely of physical appearance but of physical archetype. The Theotokos is the new Eve, the one who says "yes" to God, and by her consent ushers in the restoration of mankind in the person of Christ. Women are more representative of this archetype. This may seem absurd to some people, but there is a real difference between men and women, and while they are equal, they represent different things in the human psyche.

In a sense I agree as I pointed out in my OP, but when it comes to the issue of being an image-bearer of Christ, and it's closely associated doctrine of theosis, we need to tred very very lightly. For Paul said, there is neither Jew nor Greek, Slave nor Free, for we are all one in Christ Jesus.

You made mention of this in your OP that there are certain things that you associate with being a woman that are archetypal traits. Just consider for a moment (and be honest with yourself) how you would feel if a movie was made about the life of Jesus, where Jesus was played by a woman.

I have not seen an actual movie, but I have seen art to this effect (the particular pieces I have in mind I have found very moving). And you're talking to the girl that had to dress up as a wiseman one Christmas Eve, not to mention the dozens of times I've played an angel. It's all subjective. It's all in what we are use to. For example, most Christians think nothing of seeing a "feminine" angel. In fact, they appear feminine more than they appear masculine in western art, but no one gawks at that, we never stop to think that most if not all of the angels in Scripture went by male descriptions/designations.

Now think about if that role was played by an older man,

Now, that would probably be very odd for me yes.

or played by an african american man, or an anglo saxon man.

I've seen Christ played by an African American and felt uncomfortable with that too. Why? Because I knew Christ was a first century palestinian jew and when I watch a movie about Christ, I expect it to be as historically accurate as possible.

Does one not seem like far more of a departure than the other?

Well having an African American portray Christ is honestly really weird for me.

If you really think that they are the same, then I'm not sure anyone can convince you otherwise.

It's not about me and what I am personally comfortable with, it's about logical consistency. I've spent enough time in the Jewish/Hebraic Movement to know how big of an issue this is for some Christians. Many Messianic Jews have a real problem with Christ portrayed as anything other than Jewish.

As for no one being able to convince me otherwise, I doubt it matters one way or the other, as neither your position or mine is officially EO. Frederica Matthewes-Green sometime back said:

Here’s another argument: a priest must be male because he represents Christ. When I was in seminary I would say, sure, Christ was male, and he was also Jewish, and a certain height and hair color. Why is only his maleness indispensable? Surely the fact that he was Jewish is even more significant, but we don’t exclude from ordination people who don’t have Jewish genes.
We don’t find the argument that Christ was male used in the early church; in fact, early Christians reflected very little on why Christ was male. Instead, they emphasized the fact that he was human. As Bp. Kallistos Ware points out, Christ’s maleness isn’t even mentioned in the hymns appointed for the Feast of the Circumcision, which would seem the likeliest spot. There might be good practical and theological reasons why Jesus was born male, but the early church did not explore them.

So I think it's safe to say that you and I can agree to disagree on this one. :)

This was actually the departure point on which I built the rest of my post, which you didn't really respond to.

I didn't know what to say. I thought it was a very good point (probably should have said something to that effect). For the future, if I don't respond to a particular something or someone it doesn't mean I'm ignoring it. It's usually because I either concur, want to respond to it later, or thought it was something that I needed to ponder further.

I would really suggest that you look into the Orthodox understanding of the Eucharist. It is quite different than in the West. The West really seems to have fallen prey to rampant clericalism, which the Protestants over-corrected leading often to rampant anti-clericalism. In the Orthodox understanding, the priest leads the congregation, as one of the congregation in the work that they do together. The priest does not do anything of his own accord, but on behalf of the assembly of the people. To be fair, they do play a special role, but it is something that ought not to be desired after. As the priest prays in the Liturgy, "for to serve thee is a great and terrible thing even to the Heavenly Powers." The priesthood is a calling, and one that should never be taken lightly, because while it is no more important than the role of the laity in the consecration of the gifts, it brings with it the tremendous responsibility of being accountable for the proper distribution of the Eucharist. It is for this reason that so many saints of the Church have tried to run from this calling. It is a heavy burden. It is much easier to be the crowd that gives its amen to the transformation of the gifts, where one needs only worry about their own unworthiness to receive, than having responsibility for all who come to the chalice.

I understand all this. I don't know how much of this thread you've read. But I've recently purchased Fr. Hopko's book on the subject. It will be here Tuesday.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.