Celestial City
✟47,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In order to avoid strife caused by foolish and unlearned questions(2 Timothy 2:23), please allow the Holy Spirit to interpret the context of these verses.(John 14:26)

John 10:27
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

Romans 8:5
For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

Philippians 2:2
Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.

1 Corinthians 1:10
Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

1 Peter 3:8
Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:

*Edit* Let's discuss these verses and their theological impact.

Last edited:

Nathan@work

Always ready :)
Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟27,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ephesians 4:4-6 (ESV) There is one body and one Spirit--just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call-- one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

Reactions: Jake Arsenal
Upvote 0

Jake Arsenal

Mar 2, 2021
Celestial City
✟47,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ephesians 4:4-6 (ESV) There is one body and one Spirit--just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call-- one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

Romans 8:14-25
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

19 For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.

20 For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,

21 Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.

22 For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.

23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?

25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

Reactions: Nathan@work
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,608.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?

25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

Reminds me of one of my favorite verses:
Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: 1 Peter 1:8

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,641.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In order to avoid strife caused by foolish and unlearned questions(2 Timothy 2:23), please allow the Holy Spirit to interpret the context of these verses.(John 14:26)

Sorry, but I don't think you understand the meaning of context.
The context of a verse is the passage in which it appears, who the author was writing to, who the speaker was speaking to, the circumstances at the time and what those who read/heard those words would have understood by them. The Spirit does not interpret context to us; we learn that by seeing, reading and studying.

For example, you said "let the Spirit interpret the context of these verses", and then quoted John 14:26 where Jesus told his disciples that the Spirit would teach them and remind them of what he had said.
The context of that verse is that Jesus is speaking to his 12 disciples. He has told them that he is going to the Father and will be leaving them, but that he will send the Holy Spirit to them, who would remind them of his words.
After the ascension, it would be up to the disciples to proclaim the Gospel, make disciples and teach the faith, Matthew 28:19-20, so they had to know what it was and be able to remember Jesus' words. I am certain that Jesus also knew that some of them would write the Gospels, and, again, they had to record his teaching and events accurately. Before Jesus did ascend to the Father, he spent a further 40 days on earth teaching them.

THAT is the context for that verse. You have taken it out of context and are using it to say that the Holy Spirit will teach us all things. He has already done this, in the Bible and NT accounts that he inspired to be written.
We can certainly ask the Spirit to show us how to APPLY Scripture to our lives - but not to interpret the context of written verses.
This is why, when you start threads which are just a lot of unrelated verses, people ask you what you mean and are trying to say.

Otherwise we can make the Bible say anything.
"Then Judas went and hanged himself", Matthew 27:5.
"Go and do likewise", Luke 10:37.
"What you are about to do, do quickly", John 13:27.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

John 10:27
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

Romans 8:5
For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

Philippians 2:2
Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.

1 Corinthians 1:10
Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

1 Peter 3:8
Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:
Man was absolutely made for communion with God; Adam had thought otherwise and all the disconnection and strife and chaos and sin that we observe and participate in, in this world, stem from that separation of man from the Creator who loves him with an intensity we can, hopefully, only begin to fathom. Man, it’s said, was in some manner divided from God, from his fellowman, from the rest of creation, and even from himself at the Fall.

We’re here to learn that Adam was wrong, and to cease carrying on the family tradition, characterized by rebellion, which was initiated by himself and Eve. As we turn to God and come back into alignment with Him and His perfect will, we become increasingly like-minded with others who do the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jake Arsenal

Mar 2, 2021
Celestial City
✟47,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reminds me of one of my favorite verses:
Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: 1 Peter 1:8

YES!

Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

Jake Arsenal

Mar 2, 2021
Celestial City
✟47,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Man was absolutely made for communion with God; Adam had thought otherwise and all the disconnection and strife and chaos and sin that we observe and participate in, in this world, stem from that separation of man from the Creator who loves him with an intensity we can, hopefully, only begin to fathom. Man, it’s said, was in some manner divided from God, from his fellowman, from the rest of creation, and even from himself at the Fall.

We’re here to learn that Adam was wrong, and to cease carrying on the family tradition, characterized by rebellion, which was initiated by himself and Eve. As we turn to God and come back into alignment with Him and His perfect will, we become increasingly like-minded with others who do the same.

Agreed!

Human attempts to understand the scripture(2 Timothy 3:16-17) through the carnal mind are exposed by their fruit(Matthew 7:15-20): enmity, strife, jealousy, anger, selfishness, dissension, etc. (1 Corinthians 3:3, Romans 8:4-8, Galatians 5:19-21)

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,641.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Agreed!

Human attempts to understand the scripture(2 Timothy 3:16-17) through the carnal mind are exposed by their fruit(Matthew 7:15-20): enmity, strife, jealousy, anger, selfishness, dissension, etc. (1 Corinthians 3:3, Romans 8:4-8, Galatians 5:19-21)

What do you mean by "human attempts to understand Scripture through the carnal mind"?

Upvote 0

Jake Arsenal

Mar 2, 2021
Celestial City
✟47,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you mean by "human attempts to understand Scripture through the carnal mind"?

I meant it exactly like this: For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? (1 Corinthians 3:3)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,641.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I meant it exactly like this: For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? (1 Corinthians 3:3)

Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying.

Although you didn't quote me, you wrote this after I had written post to you on context, and how it is not the Spirit's role to explain Biblical context. Are you linking the two, and saying that those who study the Scriptures are not relying on the Spirit?

Upvote 0

Jake Arsenal

Mar 2, 2021
Celestial City
✟47,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying.

Although you didn't quote me, you wrote this after I had written post to you on context, and how it is not the Spirit's role to explain Biblical context. Are you linking the two, and saying that those who study the Scriptures are not relying on the Spirit?

No. I am talking about results.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,641.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. I am talking about results.

Born again Christians who are filled with the Spirit don't, or shouldn't, have carnal minds - non Christians who do have carnal minds, very likely would not be interested in interpreting the Scriptures.

Upvote 0

Jake Arsenal

Mar 2, 2021
Celestial City
✟47,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Born again Christians who are filled with the Spirit don't, or shouldn't, have carnal minds - non Christians who do have carnal minds, very likely would not be interested in interpreting the Scriptures.

Matthew 7:21-23
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

What separates them?

Matthew 7:15-23(in context with emphasis added)

15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

How can we tell if our mind is carnal?

James 2:17-20
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. 19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. 20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

James 3:13-18
13 Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom. 14 But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. 15 This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. 16 For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work. 17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. 18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

1 Corinthians 3:1-3
And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. 2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able. 3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

Romans 8:4-8
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Galatians 5:19-21
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

How can we tell if we are in the Spirit?

Galatians 5:22-26
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. 24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,608.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

What separates them?

15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

How can we tell if our mind is carnal?

James 2:17-20
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. 19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. 20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

James 3:13-18
13 Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom. 14 But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. 15 This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. 16 For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work. 17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. 18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

1 Corinthians 3:1-3
And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. 2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able. 3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

Romans 8:4-8
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Galatians 5:19-21
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

How can we tell if we are in the Spirit?

Galatians 5:22-26
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. 24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.
I agree with all this, though I must admit often I find myself acting more like Romans 7:15-25

I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[a] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature
a slave to the law of sin.
Pray for us all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,641.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It is God's will that we should know Jesus, John 6:40.

What separates them?

What do you understand by this? What is good fruit?
Personally, I believe it is the fruit of the Spirit, Galatians 5:22-23. Someone cannot bear the fruit of the Spirit unless they are in the Spirit, and they won't have the Spirit unless they are born again and in Christ.

I don't get how the verses that you quoted address my statement that a Christian who is filled with the Spirit doesn't have a carnal mind, whereas non believers do, but they are generally not interested in interpreting the Scriptures.
I know there are those who would call themselves Christian, because they go to church and do good deeds, but are not born again. But I was talking about a born again believer not having a carnal mind.

Upvote 0

Jake Arsenal

Mar 2, 2021
Celestial City
✟47,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is God's will that we should know Jesus, John 6:40.

What do you understand by this? What is good fruit?
Personally, I believe it is the fruit of the Spirit, Galatians 5:22-23. Someone cannot bear the fruit of the Spirit unless they are in the Spirit, and they won't have the Spirit unless they are born again and in Christ.

I don't get how the verses that you quoted address my statement that a Christian who is filled with the Spirit doesn't have a carnal mind, whereas non believers do, but they are generally not interested in interpreting the Scriptures.
I know there are those who would call themselves Christian, because they go to church and do good deeds, but are not born again. But I was talking about a born again believer not having a carnal mind.

I mean the same, adding this: to remain in the fruit of the Spirit, we must mortify our flesh through the Spirit, bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ(Romans 8:13, 2 Corinthians 10:5). As @jacks said(quoted below), the carnal mind is at constant war with the Spirit, so even those who are Christ's can be in the carnal mind while interpreting scripture and doctrine. We are all prone to sin and error, but our fruit bears witness either for or against us. If we are following sound doctrine, the results should be the fruit of the Spirit in our lives.

I agree with all this, though I must admit often I find myself acting more like Romans 7:15-25

I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[a] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature
a slave to the law of sin.
Pray for us all.

Upvote 0