• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Featured LDS One Essence

Discussion in 'Debate Other Religions & Faiths' started by Andrewn, Jan 7, 2020.

1. faroukfarouk

faroukfarouk Fading curmudgeon

+16,022
    Non-Denom
    Married
    All very strange...:scratch:

2. He is the way

He is the way Well-Known Member

+171
    United States
    Mormon
    Married
    Since you are already married, you might consider your own wife.

3. Phoebe Ann

Phoebe Ann From Mormonism to Christ Supporter

+9,268
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    Do you now believe you can distinguish between a Christian and a non-Christian?

Matthew 7
    16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

20Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

How many Christians do you know by their fruits?

4. Ironhold

Ironhold Member

+1,259
    Mormon
    Single
    Considering how the so-called "Christian Counter-Cult" seems to be a haven for the worst of the worst among mainline Christian groups, you might want to be careful with how you take this argument.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  5. faroukfarouk

faroukfarouk Fading curmudgeon

+16,022
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Great verse there...

6. Daniel Marsh

Daniel Marsh Well-Known Member

+1,390
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    read to here

7. Peter1000

Peter1000 Well-Known Member

+378
    Mormon
    Married
    It is rather easy to know. As your scripture says, it is by their fruits that you can know. Fruits is another word for good works. You can also tell by the way they talk too.

I know a lot of Christians that wear the cross on their necks, but are living with their lover and never go to church and would not be caught doing a service project or teaching a Sunday School class etc., etc., etc.

8. He is the way

+171
    United States
    Mormon
    Married
    You said: "I know a lot of Christians that wear the cross on their necks, but are living with their lover and never go to church and would not be caught doing a service project or teaching a Sunday School class etc., etc., etc."

Unfortunately there are bad people in every denomination as only Jesus Christ has lived a perfect life. That being said, those who repent and thereafter keep the commandments of LOVE, are the good fruit:

(Pearl of Great Price | Articles of Faith 1:13)

13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

9. Peter1000

+378
    Mormon
    Married
    Of course you are correct.

My response was to note that there are ways that you can know that a person who says they are a Christian, are really not all that concerned with Christian living, and therefore are not really Christians at heart.

That is also true in all world religions. It is also true in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. So I do understand the dynamics of declaring yourself to be Christian and really not being a Christian.

I also clearly understand that one can at any moment repent and get back on the right path, and access the free gift of grace that is given by Jesus to help keep us on the right path.

Hope I did not come across in an untoward way. It was not my intention to do so.

10. Peter1000

+378
    Mormon
    Married
    If it is possible, I would like to take up the topic of this OP again. "One Essence".

I learned earlier in this OP that as humans we are all of "one essence" because we are all human.

Before I go any further I wish someone would tell me that I am correct or not. Please respond.

11. mmksparbud

mmksparbud Well-Known Member

+5,174
    United States
    SDA
    Widowed
    US-Others

Yes, we are all human. We have passed on the DNA from Adam and Eve down to the present, though along the way it has been corrupted and mutated and we have many diseases---we are still human.
    God and the Holy Spirit and the Son were all one essence before the incarnatio0n. When Jesus became human, The 3 were no longer of entirely the same essence for Jesus acquired a slight mutation! He retains that mutation, but He also retains His divine essence----we never had the divine essence. We are glorified mud made alive by the breath of God. We become even more glorified mud at the resurrection, but not ever divine. Divinity is not acquired, you are or you aren't. You can not work up to it.

12. Andrewn

Andrewn Well-Known Member Supporter

+499
    Canada
    Anglican
    Married
    In post #8, I wrote, "Essence is defined as qualities common to God." There are 2 important sides to this statement:

1) The Holy Trinity share the essence of God in a unique way. Human beings don't share in the essence of God; and

2) The Holy Father, Holy Son, and Holy Spirit are not 3 separate personages. They're 3 prosopa (concrete co-eternal manifestations) of 3 hypostases (modes of existence) of the One Transcendent God.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  13. He is the way

+171
    United States
    Mormon
    Married
    What is the essence of God?

14. Andrewn

+499
    Canada
    Anglican
    Married
    I answered this in message #8, 2 Mo ago. You're still asking!!!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  15. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+17,032
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    God.

-CryptoLutheran

16. He is the way

+171
    United States
    Mormon
    Married
    I did not read your whole post #8 to Peter1000 where you said: "Essence is defined as qualities common to God. Such as being unlimited / omnipresent, eternal / immutable, and all-powerful /omnipotent. The Holy Father, Holy Son, and Holy Spirit. What makes God one is that he has only one will and activity.

The word essence is sometimes rendered substance, nature, or being."

So thank you. Do you believe that the Father and the Son are of one substance (both have bodies of flesh and bone)?:

(New Testament | Luke 24:39)

39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

The word essence is quite nebulous in it's meaning, while substance has a more distinct meaning. Some people have described the Trinity as being similar to water, ice, and steam. Do you support that description? I myself believe they are one on glory, and perfection as described by Jesus in John 17:21-23.

17. Andrewn

+499
    Canada
    Anglican
    Married
    They're indeed one in will, glory, and perfection. They also share qualities such as being unlimited / omnipresent, eternal / immutable, and all-powerful /omnipotent. The metaphor you mentioned would be acceptable if the water, ice, and steam coexist at the same time from eternity and have one mind, emotions, and will.

In Jesus, the eternal Son of God took flesh and became man (Luk 24:39). The Heavenly Father and the Holy Spirit never took flesh. And God the Son like them is immutable and didn't acquire any mutations. His deity did not change. God is still one essence / one being / one substance. Jehovah is Elohim.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  18. Phoebe Ann

Phoebe Ann From Mormonism to Christ Supporter

+9,268
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    Are they really Christians? How do you know?

Non-Christians can wear crosses. Jewelry never made anyone a Christian and the Bible never mentions Mormon temple garments.

My molester LDS ex-brother-in-law went to your church every week and his name was on the rolls of your church. I wonder if he took the bread and water.

We don't call helping others "service projects." Doing what Christ wants us to do doesn't make one person more worthy than another Christian. X, Y, and Z aren't brownie points.

"The reason a good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, is because it has root in Christ and is fed by that root. Does the tree bear the root, or the root the tree? Therefore, again, what reward do we merit for bringing forth good fruit, when we only bring it forth because of Christ, not ourselves?"
    Tony Warren

Luke 17:10
    • "So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do."

19. He is the way

+171
    United States
    Mormon
    Married
    I believe that the Holy Ghost is a personage of spirit. I also believe that these three members of the Godhead share more attributes than glory and perfection. However, to be of one substance they would all have flesh and bones like Jesus, but a spirit does not have flesh and bones.

20. Andrewn

+499
    Canada
    Anglican
    Married
    What's the bread and water?