• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

One book that won't be banned

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by Aldebaran, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+7,886
    Non-Denom
    Single
    A Rhythm of Prayer: A Collection of Meditations for Renewal, was edited by Sarah Bessey and published in February and is available at major sellers such as Target, Barnes & Noble and Amazon. The passage in the book by Chanequa Walker-Barnes, "Prayer of a Weary Black Woman," seeks spiritual guidance to stop "caring" about white people who inevitably perpetuate racism.

"Dear God, Please help me to hate white people," Walker-Barnes writes. "Or at least to want to hate them. At least, I want to stop caring about them, individually and collectively. I want to stop caring about their misguided, racist souls, to stop believing that they can be better, that they can stop being racist."
    "My prayer is that you would help me to hate the other white people—you know, the nice ones," Walker-Barnes writes. "The Fox News–loving, Trump-supporting voters who 'don't see color' but who make thinly veiled racist comments about 'those people.' The people who are happy to have me over for dinner but alert the neighborhood watch anytime an unrecognized person of color passes their house."

She adds: "Lord, if you can't make me hate them, at least spare me from their perennial gaslighting, whitemansplaining, and white woman tears."

Bessey added the prayer was a "faithful, honest lament, modelled on Scripture" with a "Biblically-based call" for loving neighbors, "as Jesus said."
    "Help me hate white people": Entry in bestselling prayer book stokes controversy

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Tanj

Tanj Redefined comfortable middle class

+6,548
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
  3. atpollard

atpollard Active Member

+201
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Errr ... ummm ... ok. o_O

4. CuriousPagan

CuriousPagan New Member

+21
    United States
    Pantheist
    Engaged
    Um...not Christian, but isn't praying to God to help you hate a race the opposite of what Jesus said?

5. Jay Sea

Jay Sea ................ Ke ĉiuj vivu

+75
    Australia
    Christian
    Private
    Are we Honkies really white deep down. After all we all came out of Africa.
    In Love
    Jay Sea

6. Landon Caeli

Landon Caeli But you can call me Captain

+3,497
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Yup. The saddest part is that some Christians are actually defending it... They're calling it "poetic".

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  7. Landon Caeli

+3,497
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Huh..?

8. Paulomycin

Paulomycin Well-Known Member

+359
    United States
    Reformed
    1st question: Why is she praying to God to help her hate?

2nd question: Why is she having such a difficult time even wanting to hate?

3rd question: Doesn't this mean she believes in a non-existent "white race" that got us all into this mess to begin with?

9. Ignatius the Kiwi

Ignatius the Kiwi Newbie

+2,344
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    What's more amazing than the prayers contained within this book is the reaction it provokes amongst the left and right. The Right I think sort of expects this rhetoric. They will shrug, they will laugh at it but there won't be any sort of mass movement to get Amazon or whomever to stop distributing the book.

The left either approves of the message and considers it a righteous prayer of indignation against the oppressor class or they are too embarrassed by it to even offer a tepid criticism.

Theologically asking God for the power to hate more is problematic. More problematic than just asking God to straight up kill your enemies, which we have examples of in the bible. It shows a complete lack of grace, a complete lack self-denial. It straight up ignores what Saint Paul said about all being one in Christ, Greek or Jew.

10. Chrystal-J

Chrystal-J the one who stands firm to the end will be saved Supporter

+4,506
    United States
    Catholic
    Widowed
    US-Others
    Maybe she's praying to a "god", not God. Wouldn't be surprised.

11. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+4,764
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    You're right. It's an inappropriate way to pray to God. It doesn't even pray for the babies of the enemies of the person praying to have their skulls bashed in.

12. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+9,948
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    It sounds kind of tongue-in-cheek to me.

13. Heavenhome

Heavenhome Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,225
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    I agree, she is warped and deluded and doesn't know the one true God, if this is what she is doing.
    Sorry for sounding harsh but its true.

14. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN I'm praying for my dad to get well.

+3,850
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    I think most Christians pretend not to hate people of different color. Black , White or what ever. But most do. We tolerate people .

15. Landon Caeli

+3,497
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    I'm opposed to violence. And praying to God, asking him to help people hate entire races, is an abomination.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  16. Petros2015

Petros2015 Well-Known Member

+2,560
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    It does not belong in a book of prayer
    About the only thing good I can say about it is that at least she is asking for help.
    Since she is asking for help, there must be something holding her back
    (which she does not recognize as God)
    (which I think is God)
    And it's unlikely God would be interested in helping her in that direction.
    As has been said, all prayers are answered
    And sometimes the answer is NO.
    Unfortunately, "Knock and the door will be opened"
    Applies to more than just 1 door.

Unless this was taken out of context and just above it
    says 'how not to pray'
    I think she has the wrong address.

I hope that was a sufficiently un-tepid criticism. I completely agree with your theological assessment.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  17. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+4,764
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    This is a real question. Why is this bad? There is stuff in scripture that isn't too dissimilar, and she has even said that wrote this on the style of the imprecatory psalms. And if you dig into it, she is asking for the ability to hate white people, because loving them even when they are racist is painful. She's asking for a way for the pain to be relieved. But at the end she gives it all up to God.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. Landon Caeli

+3,497
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Imagine praying to God for the ability to hate your husband or wife... Is that aligned with love in any way.

...Imagine praying to God to help you hate your mother or child.

19. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+4,764
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    Imagine praying to God to bash in the skulls of babies because they are of a different race. Imagine praying for your enemies to be stricken blind and then killed.

Oh wait, you don't have to. It's in the Bible.

Imagine praying that a political opponent's days be few. I know plenty did in 2008, including several well known pastors.

Would I pray this way? No. But I don't think it's the reason for the huge outrage I'm seeing, because there is stuff just as bad in our scriptures. And fundamentally, asking to be able to hate somebody is still better then asking for them to be stricken dead.

20. 98cwitr

98cwitr Lord forgive me Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+2,887
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Let's also not ignore that she is a Seminary professor at an accredited Georgia University.