Houston, TX
✟15,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello all. Recently I have become interested in studying different versions of the Bible. My Family and I normally have read the King James Version, and occasionally we have looked at the NIV, but I would like to extend my studies to learn the most about God's Word as possible.
So I would like to ask: what version of the Bible do you prefer and why? Which do you believe is the version that is most true to Christ's vision? Recently my young Niece has expressed interest in studying the Bible in more depth - which version would you recommend that is easy for a young girl (aged 9) to comprehend but is also as accurate as possible?

Thank you, XOXO God Bless.
-Chris

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I would like to ask: what version of the Bible do you prefer and why? Which do you believe is the version that is most true to Christ's vision?

I read Greek, though not Hebrew, and the ESV seems to be the closest to the original (better than the KJV). The CSB (Christian Standard Bible) is slightly behind the ESV, the NIV slightly behind the CSB, and the NLT well behind the NIV.

This is because the NIV (slightly), and the NLT (a lot), make some sacrifices in order to get a more readable text. To be exact, they do some interpretation -- they do some of the hard thinking for you. That makes reading easier, but it means you're getting their interpretation of the text.

Recently my young Niece has expressed interest in studying the Bible in more depth - which version would you recommend that is easy for a young girl (aged 9)

I'm so glad you asked. It depends on her reading level. Unfortunately, I don't know the low end of this chart all that well. I'd say NLT (New Living Translation), but only if she's a good reader for her age. If she's a weak reader, then NIrV (New international reader's Version).

BibleTranslationsb-ReadingLevel-Infographic.jpg

Let's look at Ephesians 1:11, just to compare:

Grade 12 - KJV: In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will

Grade 11 - NASB: also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will

Grade 10-11 - NKJV (the chart is wrong): In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will,

Grade 10 - ESV (my favourite): In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will

Grade 7-8 - NIV (OK, but what is "conformity"?): In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will,

Grade 7 - CSB (a good one): In him we have also received an inheritance, because we were predestined according to the plan of the one who works out everything in agreement with the purpose of his will

Grade 7 - CEB: We have also received an inheritance in Christ. We were destined by the plan of God, who accomplishes everything according to his design.

Grade 6 - NLT (not too bad, for weaker readers - notice that that hard word "predestined" has gone): Furthermore, because we are united with Christ, we have received an inheritance from God, for he chose us in advance, and he makes everything work out according to his plan.

Grade 5 - GW (I don't like this one): God also decided ahead of time to choose us through Christ according to his plan, which makes everything work the way he intends.

Grade 3 - NCV (?): In Christ we were chosen to be God’s people, because from the very beginning God had decided this in keeping with his plan. And he is the One who makes everything agree with what he decides and wants.

Grade 3 - NIrV (the easiest of all, but everything is there): We were also chosen to belong to him. God decided to choose us long ago in keeping with his plan. He works out everything to fit his plan and purpose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello all. Recently I have become interested in studying different versions of the Bible. My Family and I normally have read the King James Version, and occasionally we have looked at the NIV, but I would like to extend my studies to learn the most about God's Word as possible.
So I would like to ask: what version of the Bible do you prefer and why? Which do you believe is the version that is most true to Christ's vision? Recently my young Niece has expressed interest in studying the Bible in more depth - which version would you recommend that is easy for a young girl (aged 9) to comprehend but is also as accurate as possible?

Thank you, XOXO God Bless.
-Chris
I would suggest that you also consider using a bible commentary to help you better understand the Bible. There are several available on line for free. Many churches have Bible study groups for both adults and children and they have fun activities for children as well.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
but I would like to extend my studies to learn the most about God's Word as possible

The next step is to get one of these (and the step after that is to get a set of commentaries):

• Winner
Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟707,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree with everything Radagast said. I too believe the ESV to be the best English translation out there right now. Every translation in a sense a compromise since no two languages will have exact equivalents for words and concepts. I think the ESV gets it just right without going off the rails on either side between readability and close translation of the original text.

The ESV study bible it quite possibly the best one volume study bible out there. I wouldn't even call it a study bible as its more like a bible with a one volume commentary mashed together. Which makes it big but well worth the weight because of what's inside the covers. At my old church we gave this to new members once they finished catechism and were received/Baptized into the Church.

• Agree
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I prefer the NIV or ESV. The Amplified is a good study tool which strives to give one the "color" of the Hebrew and Greek overtones but can be confusing. It must be read only in an attempt to clarify that of another version, in my opinion, and definitely not by a youth. Above all, I highly recommend whatever version you choose to be compiled in a Topical Reference Format, such as the Thompson's Topical Chain Reference Bible which I have in the NIV. I have a 1916 version in KJV my Grandfather, who was a pastor, used but that is put away. I believe that this is better than a commentary Bible as it makes possible for one to see most, if not all, of the topically relative verses throughout the Bible on a given topic which allows one to derive a much more comprehensive understanding of what God is saying. Allowing the Holy Spirit and prayer to guide oneself, I believe that the consequential interpretation and application can be the most effective for that individual in contrast to someone who does not even know you guide you with their commentary. Thompson's Chain Reference also has a useful derivative map and historical outline of the Bible's versions, Biographies of prominent Biblical characters, Jesus's life outline, a large Archaeological Supplement with pictures, maps of the three and other missionary journeys of Paul, map section, Concordance, and much more.

It is called a "chain" reference as it develops a chain of topically relative verses from Gen to Rev. Parallel to the verses are margins on the inside and outside of each page with topics cited and the next verse in the chain given and a reference number given where you can go and find all the verses from Gen to Rev on that topic. Also, given in the margins are more exhaustive topic identifying labels.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Above all, I highly recommend whatever version you choose to be compiled in a Topical Reference Format, such as the Thompson's Topical Chain Reference Bible which I have in the NIV.

I've got a Thompson's Chain Reference KJV, and it isn't a tenth as useful as the ESV Study Bible, to be honest.

As @Athanasius377 says, the ESV Study Bible is like a bible with a one volume commentary mashed together. That makes it really useful. The only downside is that the the ESV Study Bible weighs a ton. A Thompson is a bit more portable.

• Agree
Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'd say NLT (New Living Translation), but only if she's a good reader for her age. If she's a weak reader, then NIrV (New international reader's Version).

Following up on that, here is a review of the NIrV Study Bible for Kids: NIrV Study Bible for Kids: Fine for What it Does

Some key sentences: "While our church uses the ESV, we wanted to make sure our child would develop motivation to read on her own. ... We went with the NIrV.

Now our 3rd child (6 years old) and our 4th child (almost 5 years old) generally share the NIrV. Both love it and can read it well. Just the other day, I overheard my 6-year-old reading about designing the priest’s clothes in Exodus 28. She had a blast with it, and I’m all about encouraging such delight in even the stranger parts of the Bible.

... I love it for beginning readers, but I want to graduate these children to another translation as soon as they’re ready for it.

... I’m happy to recommend it as a stepping stool, but not as a cornerstone, for early childhood Bible education.
"

That reinforces what I thought: the NIrV only if your niece is a weak reader.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've got a Thompson's Chain Reference KJV, and it isn't a tenth as useful as the ESV Study Bible, to be honest.

As @Athanasius377 says, the ESV Study Bible is like a bible with a one volume commentary mashed together. That makes it really useful. The only downside is that the the ESV Study Bible weighs a ton. A Thompson is a bit more portable.
to each their own..... I take mine with me to Sunday SChool and Church, Bible study, traveling, whatever. I have an Exhaustive Strong.s Concordance: it sure is exhaustive to use it or carry, WHEW!!! I prefer to have just one Bible which I use for anything. Mobility is important to me. I do not have room for a study or library in my home anyway.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I read Greek, though not Hebrew, and the ESV seems to be the closest to the original (better than the KJV). The CSB (Christian Standard Bible) is slightly behind the ESV, the NIV slightly behind the CSB, and the NLT well behind the NIV.
I like your analysis and your choice of verse to compare. Just want to make some observations:

1) According to the meaning of the verb kleroo mentioned below, I prefer translations that have "we were chosen" or "we have received an inheritance." So, I don't like KJV, NASB, NKJV, and ESV. They read "we have obtained an inheritance," which is correct but may imply exerting effort on our part which is not the sense of kleroo. This may be a matter of personal taste.

2) Predestined "according to his plan." Absent from NLT, but implied in the next sentence.

2) God "works out everything according to the purpose of his will." I don't like the way this is expressed in NIV and GWT.

Clearly, in this verse CSB and CEB are the best. I find nothing against NCV and NIrV except their wordiness. NIrV uses less words and explains the phrase "in Christ" nicely. In this verse, it's the best children's Bible (compared to NCV & NLT). But I remember seeing mistakes elsewhere. In this verse, like you said, "the easiest of all, but everything is there."

It would be nice to compare other verses.

The verb kleroo means:

1. to cast lots, determine by lot

2. to choose by lot

3. to allot, assign by lot
      1. on to another as a possession
    4. in NT: to make a lot, i.e. a heritage, private possession

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Recently my young Niece has expressed interest in studying the Bible in more depth - which version would you recommend that is easy for a young girl (aged 9) to comprehend but is also as accurate as possible?

What version is used in the church she attends? I would use the same as that. If they are in online get the modern English version.
Before you go and buy look at the Bible gateway web site, there you can choose which Bible to read and compare it to others.

Remember Tyndale's aim he wanted the common people, the uneducated to read, discuss and know the bible and he changed many words in his translation.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I like your analysis and your choice of verse to compare. Just want to make some observations:

1) According to the meaning of the verb kleroo mentioned below, I prefer translations that have "we were chosen" or "we have received an inheritance."

The verb is klēroō, in the aorist passive tense. So "received an inheritance" or "obtained an inheritance" are both OK. I agree that "received" is better, and the ESV and NASB have perhaps followed the KJV too closely here.

The NIV and NIrV have "were chosen," which is also an acceptable reading of a verb that occurs nowhere else in the NT (I don't think we can be too dogmatic about what the verb means). However, the "inheritance" interpretations are, I think, based on uses of the verb in the Septuagint of Deuteronomy 4:20 and Deuteronomy 9:29, and are perhaps more likely to be correct.

It is worth noting that the NLT contains a duplication of some words from verse 10, because it's split a long sentence up into smaller ones.

KJV: In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will

NASB: also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will

NKJV: In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will,

ESV: In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will

NIV: In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will,

CSB: In him we have also received an inheritance, because we were predestined according to the plan of the one who works out everything in agreement with the purpose of his will

CEB: We have also received an inheritance in Christ. We were destined by the plan of God, who accomplishes everything according to his design.

NLT: Furthermore, because we are united with Christ, we have received an inheritance from God, for he chose us in advance, and he makes everything work out according to his plan.

GW: God also decided ahead of time to choose us through Christ according to his plan, which makes everything work the way he intends.

NCV: In Christ we were chosen to be God’s people, because from the very beginning God had decided this in keeping with his plan. And he is the One who makes everything agree with what he decides and wants.

NIrV: We were also chosen to belong to him. God decided to choose us long ago in keeping with his plan. He works out everything to fit his plan and purpose.

2) God "works out everything according to the purpose of his will." I don't like the way this is expressed in NIV and GWT.
I don't see a problem with the NIV, myself, except that I'm not sure a child can correctly interpret "in conformity with."

Clearly, in this verse CSB and CEB are the best.
Speaking more generally, the CSB is slowly moving up to 2nd place in my estimation. Quite a good translation.

In this verse, it's the best children's Bible (compared to NCV & NLT).
For very young readers, and people with serious reading difficulties, the NIrV probably gets more of God's Word across than any other option -- but the short choppy sentences tend to grate on good readers.

I'm really liking the NLT here too. I think "plan" combines the ideas of "counsel" and "will." The "decides and wants" of the NCV just seems repetitive.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In skimming through the responses above I didn't see the NET (New English Translation) Bible mentioned. If your interested in a serious understanding of the translation of the Bible, this version has approximately 60,000 translators' notes. I recommend the latest version (2.1) which is in a very readable format (single-column in a very readable font, surrounded by the translators' notes); it's available on Amazon from the publisher.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
For kids I use the Good News Bible. While it’s not very literal I have yet to see any serious problems.

for adults doing serious study it depends upon your theological orientation. I use NRSV. If I were conservative I’d probably use ESV.

if you use NIV, I recommend the current version. N T Wright, who is a well known NT scholar, said you’d never understand Paul if you use the NIV. But that was the original. I checked a few passages in the current version and they looked OK.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I compared Rom 8:1-13 in 15 translation.

Of the translations mentioned in this thread, I liked CSB best.

By far, the worst were CEB, GWT, and NIrV.

Of course, this is only personal opinion and is limited to this passage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The verb is klēroō, in the aorist passive tense. So "received an inheritance" or "obtained an inheritance" are both OK. I agree that "received" is better, and the ESV and NASB have perhaps followed the KJV too closely here.

The NIV and NIrV have "were chosen," which is also an acceptable reading of a verb that occurs nowhere else in the NT (I don't think we can be too dogmatic about what the verb means). However, the "inheritance" interpretations are, I think, based on uses of the verb in the Septuagint of Deuteronomy 4:20 and Deuteronomy 9:29, and are perhaps more likely to be correct.

It is worth noting that the NLT contains a duplication of some words from verse 10, because it's split a long sentence up into smaller ones.

KJV: In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will

NASB: also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will

NKJV: In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will,

ESV: In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will

NIV: In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will,

CSB: In him we have also received an inheritance, because we were predestined according to the plan of the one who works out everything in agreement with the purpose of his will

CEB: We have also received an inheritance in Christ. We were destined by the plan of God, who accomplishes everything according to his design.

NLT: Furthermore, because we are united with Christ, we have received an inheritance from God, for he chose us in advance, and he makes everything work out according to his plan.

GW: God also decided ahead of time to choose us through Christ according to his plan, which makes everything work the way he intends.

NCV: In Christ we were chosen to be God’s people, because from the very beginning God had decided this in keeping with his plan. And he is the One who makes everything agree with what he decides and wants.

NIrV: We were also chosen to belong to him. God decided to choose us long ago in keeping with his plan. He works out everything to fit his plan and purpose.

I don't see a problem with the NIV, myself, except that I'm not sure a child can correctly interpret "in conformity with."

Speaking more generally, the CSB is slowly moving up to 2nd place in my estimation. Quite a good translation.

For very young readers, and people with serious reading difficulties, the NIrV probably gets more of God's Word across than any other option -- but the short choppy sentences tend to grate on good readers.

I'm really liking the NLT here too. I think "plan" combines the ideas of "counsel" and "will." The "decides and wants" of the NCV just seems repetitive.

Where's the NET?

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Where's the NET?
I know the question is not for me but I will volunteer an opinion bec I do have a copy of the NET and use it regularly. The notes are undoubtedly fantastic and I'm quite honored to have access to them.

But the translation, IMO, is not the best or even one of the best. I consider it "idiomatic" and thus unreliable, especially in the NT, and would not use it alone.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Of the translations mentioned in this thread, I liked CSB best.

It's pretty good.

By far, the worst were CEB, GWT, and NIrV.

The NIrV is pretty good for what it is. For children and for people with severe reading difficulties, it provides the word of God in a form they can understand.

If someone is capable of reading the NLT, it is better. If someone is capable of reading the CSB, it is better still.

• Agree
Upvote 0