Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
The concept of prelest, a key one in Orthodox ascetical teaching, is completely absent in the Protestant-Catholic world which produced the “charismatic” movement; and this fact explains why such an obvious deception can gain such a hold over nominally “Christian” circles, and also why a “prophet” like Nicholas Berdyaev who comes from an Orthodox background should regard it as absolutely essential that in the “new age of the Holy Spirit”

“There will be no more of the ascetic world-view.”

The reason is obvious: the Orthodox ascetic world-view gives the only means by which men, having received the Holy Spirit at their Baptism and Chrismation, may truly continue to acquire the Holy Spirit in their lives; and it teaches how to distinguish and guard oneself against spiritual deception. The “new spirituality” of which Berdyaev dreamed and which the “charismatic revival” actually practices, has an entirely different foundation and is seen to be a fraud in the light of the Orthodox ascetical teaching. Therefore, there is not room for both conceptions in the same spiritual universe: to accept the “new spirituality” of the “charismatic revival” one must reject Orthodox Christianity; and conversely, to remain an Orthodox Christian, one must reject the “charismatic revival,” which is a counterfeit of Orthodoxy.

To make this quite clear, in what follows we shall give the teaching of the Orthodox Church on spiritual deception chiefly as found in the 19th-century summation of this teaching made by Bishop Ignatius Brianchaninov, himself an Orthodox Father of modern times, in volume one of his collected works.

Nick Moser

Apr 13, 2018
Reno, NV
✟40,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I am surprised that the concept is not more popular or well known, not just among Orthodox but also Western Christians, since the idea is widespread in the Holy Scriptures. Not just 2 Corinthians 11 (especially verses 13-15) but also Galatians 1:8 1 ; John 2:18-21; and Mark 13:5–7, 13:21–23

Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am surprised that the concept is not more popular or well known, not just among Orthodox but also Western Christians, since the idea is widespread in the Holy Scriptures. Not just 2 Corinthians 11 (especially verses 13-15) but also Galatians 1:8 1 ; John 2:18-21; and Mark 13:5–7, 13:21–23
probably because modern man doesn’t want to hear it

Reactions: Nick Moser
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
People can get very attached to delusions. Sometimes people will sacrifice their own children to a delusion. I'm sure we all can think of an example. The trouble is that seeing others' delusions is often very easy, but almost by definition, seeing your own is extremely difficult.

I am not sure whether they all technically qualify as prelest, but there are plenty of delusions out there, and people share them as if they were so many bootleg recordings.

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
People can get very attached to delusions. Sometimes people will sacrifice their own children to a delusion. I'm sure we all can think of an example. The trouble is that seeing others' delusions is often very easy, but almost by definition, seeing your own is extremely difficult.

I am not sure whether they all technically qualify as prelest, but there are plenty of delusions out there, and people share them as if they were so many bootleg recordings.
this is why we need confessors and spiritual fathers/mothers. we can’t accurately see ourselves.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Welcome back!

I won't speak for the rest of the world, but among us Orthodox it isn't well known due to a lack of education. We may do a decent job of educating catechumens, but we fall very short when it comes to our own people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The concept of prelest, a key one in Orthodox ascetical teaching, is completely absent in the Protestant-Catholic world which produced the “charismatic” movement; and this fact explains why such an obvious deception can gain such a hold over nominally “Christian” circles, and also why a “prophet” like Nicholas Berdyaev who comes from an Orthodox background should regard it as absolutely essential that in the “new age of the Holy Spirit”

“There will be no more of the ascetic world-view.”

The reason is obvious: the Orthodox ascetic world-view gives the only means by which men, having received the Holy Spirit at their Baptism and Chrismation, may truly continue to acquire the Holy Spirit in their lives; and it teaches how to distinguish and guard oneself against spiritual deception. The “new spirituality” of which Berdyaev dreamed and which the “charismatic revival” actually practices, has an entirely different foundation and is seen to be a fraud in the light of the Orthodox ascetical teaching. Therefore, there is not room for both conceptions in the same spiritual universe: to accept the “new spirituality” of the “charismatic revival” one must reject Orthodox Christianity; and conversely, to remain an Orthodox Christian, one must reject the “charismatic revival,” which is a counterfeit of Orthodoxy.

To make this quite clear, in what follows we shall give the teaching of the Orthodox Church on spiritual deception chiefly as found in the 19th-century summation of this teaching made by Bishop Ignatius Brianchaninov, himself an Orthodox Father of modern times, in volume one of his collected works.

It is in God's love that He did not grant me the many spiritual experiences I desired, both when a Protestant and a Catholic. I believe that such deceptions foster and encourage pride, even if we are not aware of it initially. The gasoline of prelest thrown on the fire of our untamed passions is a deadly combination. Having read the Father's regarding such experiences, I have prayed that the Lord not allow me to have such experiences, as I have come to learn from reading excerpts from the Athonite Fathers that these experiences can be spiritual death to such a one as I, who is a novice in the true faith.

I think of the passions being like a wild horse, a bucking bronco that will kick and bite its owner. The only way to tame the horse is by the process of riding it and getting thrown - fasting, prayers, the Sacraments, etc. - until the horse realizes that it cannot win, it is defeated, and it submits to the owner. I am slowly beginning to understand the wisdom of complete submission to the Church. The Church knows how to tame the horse, having done so for 2,000 years. I do not, therefore, I need to listen and heed.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I believe that such deceptions foster and encourage pride, even if we are not aware of it initially.
they certainly can. that’s why we should always assume we are deluded, pray, and put spiritual experience like that out of our minds.

Upvote 0

Nick Moser

Apr 13, 2018
Reno, NV
✟40,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
they certainly can. that’s why we should always assume we are deluded, pray, and put spiritual experience like that out of our minds.
I often myself worry that I fall into a state of prelest but I probably just get counseled by a confessor and/or spiritual father

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I often myself worry that I fall into a state of prelest but I probably just get counseled by a confessor and/or spiritual father
yep, that’s the best way to avoid it

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nick Moser

Apr 13, 2018
Reno, NV
✟40,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
my main worry is that my interest in Christianity is a form of prelest and that I am not in it for the right reasons

Upvote 0

Nick Moser

Apr 13, 2018
Reno, NV
✟40,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I should probably call a church. The nearest Orthodox church is a mile away. My small town mostly has 500 Protestant churches and a liberal Catholic church, as well as non-Christian organizations. We have 2 Mormon temples, a Bahai temple, and a building owned by the JW cult

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
my main worry is that my interest in Christianity is a form of prelest and that I am not in it for the right reasons

the interest itself isn’t prelest, but what you do with that interest might be.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I should probably call a church. The nearest Orthodox church is a mile away. My small town mostly has 500 Protestant churches and a liberal Catholic church, as well as non-Christian organizations. We have 2 Mormon temples, a Bahai temple, and a building owned by the JW cult
yes, contact your closest Orthodox priest

Upvote 0

Nick Moser

Apr 13, 2018
Reno, NV
✟40,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
maybe interest isn't the right word but I am not sure if my heart is in it for God but for selfish reasons.
the interest itself isn’t prelest, but what you do with that interest might be.

Upvote 0