Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Of course, we'd all like God to just show up—but He more often than not, doesn't. We know this. We'd also like there to be ample evidence for God's presence in our world and universe—but more often than not, there isn't. And various skeptical types of scientists have, more often than not, attempted to affirm why they think God doesn't exist and why you and I shouldn't think He does either.

However, in the TED Talk below, Bryan Enderle (BS degrees, in Chemical and Petroleum Engineering; an MA in Theology; and an MS and PhD in Chemical Engineering) presents another way to perhaps think about the complications that accompany the act of valuing and doing science on the one hand, and still finding the concept of God as something relevant on the other hand.

I love Enderle's subtle wit, and ...hey!!... the video's only 13 minutes long. That's chump change as far as time goes, especially if it's for a speaker who is interesting to listen to. ENJOY and discuss!

Addendum: Ok. I've heard some useful comments by many of you, and thus far, it seems that the 1st video I've posted featuring Bryan Enderle has received mixed reviews. And that's ok. However, since I like Enderle's presentation style, and I agree with the basic direction of his philosophy of science and theology in his talks, I think I'll just make this thread a Bryan Enderle Clearing House. So, I've posted another video which, for those you who would like to hear Enderle expand a bit upon what he said in his first video, will provide more here to chew on.

Check out these links for quick synopses of Bryan Enderle's viewpoint:
1) Bryan Enderle's view on Science and Faith
2) Bryan Enderle's Religious Work

One more video for those interested:

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:

curiouskay

Jun 10, 2017
dallas
✟39,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
“Science vs GOD” implies a conflict

You seem to be missing the forest for the trees. Please, for mankind’s sake, drop the verb “vs” & use “togetherwith” instead.

“Science vs GOD
” seems to imply a conflict when there is none.
“Science togetherwith GOD” reads a lot better

Once you make this change You will be grateful for it

I promise :)-

Reactions: Strathos
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“Science vs GOD” implies a conflict

You seem to be missing the forest for the trees. Please, for mankind’s sake, drop the verb “vs” & use “togetherwith” instead.

“Science vs GOD
” seems to imply a conflict when there is none.
“Science togetherwith GOD” reads a lot better

Once you make this change You will be grateful for it

I promise :)-

Did you by chance bother to watch the video, curiouskay? :dontcare:

Upvote 0

curiouskay

Jun 10, 2017
dallas
✟39,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did you by chance bother to watch the video, curiouskay? :dontcare:

The Title & verbiage caught me by surprise.,.,,.,/\.,.,. I had a pause there.
Maybe I will come back and watch it.
We will see :)-

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
However, in the TED Talk below, Bryan Enderle (BS degrees, in Chemical and Petroleum Engineering; an MA in Theology; and an MS and PhD in Chemical Engineering) presents another way to perhaps think about the complications that accompany the act of valuing and doing science on the one hand, and still finding the concept of God as somethingHe relevant on the other hand.
He kept referring to "magic" in the video, which tells me he's not talking about JEHOVAH God, but some other entity.

It's all I could do to get through the video, but I got through it.

I have a feeling he's making fun of God from behind a philosophy of science.

I'd love to debate him with my almost nil understanding of science; because I'm sure I could expose him as a charlatan for Satan.

He makes no bones about being a scientist, and what kind of scientist, and how and where he got his science; but he can't even call God by name, or use the term "miracle"?

I'm sorry ... but here's the bottom line:

Science can take a hike.

Upvote 0

Unveiled Artist

Look! Its like the Nothing never was.
Jun 3, 2017
Virginia
✟35,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Of course, we'd all like God to just show up—but He more often than not, doesn't. We know this. We'd also like there to be ample evidence for God's presence in our world and universe—but more often than not, there isn't. And various skeptical types of scientists have, more often than not, attempted to affirm why they think God doesn't exist and why you and I shouldn't think He does either.

However, in the TED Talk below, Bryan Enderle (BS degrees, in Chemical and Petroleum Engineering; an MA in Theology; and an MS and PhD in Chemical Engineering) presents another way to perhaps think about the complications that accompany the act of valuing and doing science on the one hand, and still finding the concept of God as something relevant on the other hand.

I love Enderle's subtle wit, and ...hey!!... the video's only 13 minutes long. That's chump change as far as time goes, especially if it's for a speaker who is interesting to listen to. ENJOY and discuss!

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

I live in a bubble. Where are these scientists and their opinions against the existence of god? I mean, you have some somewhat popular people voicing their opinions just to make news and ratings. There are stats of interpretations and numbers.

Wouldn't the existence of god be a personal experience in and of itself?

I mean, when I was followed the Christian faith, god/christ wasn't separate from me to where "he" was a someone I needed to explain as far as existence. It's more something you put into practice. Not a knowledge relationship but an action one.

Many scientists are Christian. So, where is the huge argument scientists are finding against god's existence?

I'd think Christians have the upper hand. We're I live, it's rare that you find someone that is not of the Christian faith. When you do, they believe in god. When you go beyond that, it's amazing.

Other than videos, articles, books, and movies, I honestly haven't came across people who care about disproving god.

From a christian point of view, why have a focus on people who try to disprove god?

I actually don't watch god-videos and atheist-videos. It just makes me think...okay. Now what? (Where's my dinner)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Many scientists are Christian. So, where is the huge argument scientists are finding against god's existence?
They demand physical evidence.

Then anything you present to them, they run it through something they call "falsifying" to see if anything pwns it.

And believe me, they'll accept anything ... so long as it looks like it disproves God.
Unveiled Artist said:
We're I live, it's rare that you find someone that is not of the Christian faith.
And I take it you're one of the rare ones for some reason?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He kept referring to "magic" in the video, which tells me he's not talking about JEHOVAH God, but some other entity.

It's all I could do to get through the video, but I got through it.

I have a feeling he's making fun of God from behind a philosophy of science.

I'd love to debate him with my almost nil understanding of science; because I'm sure I could expose him as a charlatan for Satan.

He makes no bones about being a scientist, and what kind of scientist, and how and where he got his science; but he can't even call God by name, or use the term "miracle"?

I'm sorry ... but here's the bottom line:

Science can take a hike.

What if I told you that Bryan Enderle is IN FACT a Christian? Well...he is (see link below). Feel better now? ;)

Integrating Faith and Science

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What if I told you that Bryan Enderle is IN FACT a Christian?
I would believe you.

I never said he wasn't.

But I'll check out your link and see for myself.

How's that? :)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would believe you.

I never said he wasn't.

But I'll check out your link and see for myself.

How's that? :)
Interesting! I like what I read about him in your link. My apologies to him. I may have spoken too soon.

• Friendly
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

curiouskay

Jun 10, 2017
dallas
✟39,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Science can take a hike.

You may not realize this, a 6 year old living here doesn't comprehend it either
But she will when she goes to a school.

If it wasn't for science------------
The cloths you are wearing would not have been made
Your refrigerator would not be keeping your food cold
Your home would not have electricity

I don't think you would even have shoes to wear

If this is what you want, move to the Congo & be the Tarzan you know you are

Hay, I'll chip in for your plane fair

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Title & verbiage caught me by surprise.,.,,.,/\.,.,. I had a pause there.
Maybe I will come back and watch it.
We will see :)-
Once you do, you will be grateful you did. :)

Loved this, caught my attention right away. I liked his explanations in science and how that supports our descriptions of God, especially entanglement and omnipresence. I think this article may be talking about the experiment that he referred to.
Scientists Reproduce Quantum Entanglement, Einstein's “Spooky Action”

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,642.00
Faith
Atheist
Predictably, I found it rather trite - the way the world works can be surprising and counter-intuitive, so why not God?

His analogies were of rather misleading simplifications, but as he said, analogies aren't proof - although he presented them as if they were, in some way, supporting evidence...

Seems to me that if you start by assuming your conclusions - a particular version of God, and a 'deeper meaning' to life, in this case - you can always find analogies somewhere; but to present them as if they are more than just analogies while denying that's what you're doing seems mendacious, however amusingly you do it.

During all his "But what if..."s, I kept thinking, "But what if God doesn't exist, and there's no 'deeper meaning' to it all? then you wouldn't need to find these strained analogies".

But maybe I've just misinterpreted what he was doing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting! I like what I read about him in your link. My apologies to him. I may have spoken too soon.

No problem, AV. I purposely titled the thread as I did to reflect the title used by youtube...and because it draws attention. But, Enderle is a Christian who works with IVP (Intervarsity Press) and is known as a popular Chemistry professor at UC-Davis. I thought the video was interesting in how he illustrates that some aspects of our theology don't have to be seen as "alien misfits" when contrasted with aspects of science.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I live in a bubble. Where are these scientists and their opinions against the existence of god? I mean, you have some somewhat popular people voicing their opinions just to make news and ratings. There are stats of interpretations and numbers.
All in all, it's a generally known fact that belief in anything divine is a scarce value among scientists (and philosophers). But, only a comparatively small handful of these persons think it is their life duty to decry the "outrages" of religion, Richard Dawkins being one of them. We can name others, too.

Wouldn't the existence of god be a personal experience in and of itself?
On some level, yes. Christian faith is partially comprised of a dynamic that can be seen as a "personal experience." But, there are other parts that are open for the scrutiny of all, such as the teachings of the Bible.

I mean, when I was followed the Christian faith, god/christ wasn't separate from me to where "he" was a someone I needed to explain as far as existence. It's more something you put into practice. Not a knowledge relationship but an action one.
Well, sure. In the Christian faith, God is not only transcendant, but also imminent--among each one of us if we so choose to 'reach out' to Him. Are you under the impression that Enderle is saying that God isn't imminent, that God is only distant?

Mainly, it comes from fact that a majority of scientists do not believe religion is overly relevant.

I'd think Christians have the upper hand. We're I live, it's rare that you find someone that is not of the Christian faith. When you do, they believe in god. When you go beyond that, it's amazing.
And I'd say that you're in a fortunate position if you're surrounded by Christians at nearly every turn.

Other than videos, articles, books, and movies, I honestly haven't came across people who care about disproving god.
Surely, where you live there is an atheist association or club of some sort.

From a christian point of view, why have a focus on people who try to disprove god?
Who is doing that?

I actually don't watch god-videos and atheist-videos. It just makes me think...okay. Now what? (Where's my dinner)
Well then, ...thanks for not watching the video in the OP of this thread. ^_^

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unveiled Artist

Look! Its like the Nothing never was.
Jun 3, 2017
Virginia
✟35,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
They demand physical evidence.

I tell online atheist that it is impossible to disprove god (and I feel likewise with theist. I dont take sides). I said using science to prove god is like using a knife to eat soup. The varification "tools" to determine the validity of the christian god one must start with the bible. To be technical, The Church. But I noticed this is a protestant site so Id say use christian criteria to find "holes" if thats what they truely interested in.

And I take it you're one of the rare ones for some reason?

Of course. In my area there are Catholics, protestants, muslims, and universalist. There are some buddhist temples way out in the middle nowhere. I met one buddhist who invited me to their temple. I met her outside the area though from their temple website.

I live in a very Christian state who hates Catholicism but smile in Catholics face. Say they are accepted but not christian. Causes disruption here with laws and Church influence. We had an adult shop waaaay on the otherside of town from The Church. I spoke with the owner and she said The Church complained and she had to close her business. Now she is there but hidden. Its sad.

I was a practicing Catholic four years (two years of today) my adult life. I was never indoctrinated and never knew anything about what a god is. Not everyone has that advantage to look at christianity in a positive light because many people are hurt from their christian upbringing.

Upvote 0