The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Watching this video about Orthodoxy in Russia makes you believe that Russia is this great, holy land of Orthodoxy, but I heard that it's not quite as romantic as the western Orthodox faithful make it out to be. I hear tell that Russia also has some of the highest abortion rates, and entreprenuers are given a hard time by established and connected mobsters posing as business owners.

Does this video only contain a small snippet of the otherwise nominal Orthodox Christians who attend out of obligation, or is Russia actually a hotbed of the Orthodox faith?

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟753,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Re abortion: Despite a high rate, it has actually been declining for almost 20 years and the birth rate has actually increased. This has reversed the previous trend of abortion exceeding the birth rate.

Historical abortion statistics, Russia

Additionally, the homicide rate has been progressively dropping. Things should not be considered rosy but these are still substantial improvements.
Crime in Russia - Wikipedia

Note the stats I referenced are only through 2018.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It's good that their numbers are going down, but Russia is still leading the world in abortions according to this: Abortion Rates by Country 2020. That's what's called a Paradox.

Likely still a hangover from Communism (atheism) as well as the collapse in morals that happened afterwards. The great faith of true Orthodox believers in Russia has always been there...but open Orthodoxy has increased since Communism fell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Watching this video about Orthodoxy in Russia makes you believe that Russia is this great, holy land of Orthodoxy, but I heard that it's not quite as romantic as the western Orthodox faithful make it out to be. I hear tell that Russia also has some of the highest abortion rates, and entreprenuers are given a hard time by established and connected mobsters posing as business owners.

Does this video only contain a small snippet of the otherwise nominal Orthodox Christians who attend out of obligation, or is Russia actually a hotbed of the Orthodox faith?

Careful of what they say in that video. It says that Orthodoxy separated from Catholicism 1000 years ago...that is not true. We ARE Catholic and we never separated from anything...Rome separated from us.

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Careful of what they say in that video. It says that Orthodoxy separated from Catholicism 1000 years ago...that is not true. We ARE Catholic and we never separated from anything...Rome separated from us.
It really wasn't that clean. True Rome had the weighty issues. That's why I'm not RC. However there were missteps in Constantinople during that time. Though it's easy to judge from 1,000 years in the future.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It really wasn't that clean. True Rome had the weighty issues. That's why I'm not RC. However there were missteps in Constantinople during that time. Though it's easy to judge 1,000 years in the future.

Nothing ever is...however I still stand by what I said :)

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nothing ever is...however I still stand by what I said :)
I wasn't disagreeing. (And I don't think you're doing this) I just hear a lot of Orthodox, especially new hyperdox folk, who make the schism sound as though Orthodoxy was somehow without blemish during the schism or any other time in history. Rome's course before and after the schism was one of theological innovation whereas Orthodoxy remained orthodox. So, you're right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums