On removing monuments

Should the individual described name be removed from building and monuments?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,126.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd be all right removing this politicians name from buildings and such for having been so good at recruiting people to the KKK:
KKK Leader Says Donald Trump is a Great Recruiting Tool

tulc(since the question was asked) :wave:

Psst. The question was not asked. I know the Whataboutism is strong with some posters, but it is still off topic.

Here is the way to tell the difference.

If the person did not PERSONALLY recruit over 150 Klansman for his part of the KKK

And

Didn’t personally stand up against the Civil Rights movement and amendment. It isn’t who I am asking about

See how easy it is to tell the difference.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Psst. The question was not asked. I know the Whataboutism is strong with some posters, but it is still off topic.
You asked if the politician described should have his name removed from buildings and such. But you didn't name that politician. I simply found one that seemed to fit your description and than decided if I thought his name should be removed from buildings and such. And I did. That your question was written so vaguely that multiple people could be plugged in there isn't really our fault is it? :sorry:
tulc(is just sayn')

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
An individual recruited more than 150 people for his section of the KKK, took an active and longstanding position against civil rights.

should this individuals name be removed from buildings and monuments.
Shouldn't it depend on whether the property is federal, state, or private?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,126.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You asked if the politician described should have his name removed from buildings and such. But you didn't name that politician. I simply found one that seemed to fit your description and than decided if I thought his name should be removed from buildings and such. And I did. That your question was written so vaguely that multiple people could be plugged in there isn't really our fault is it? :sorry:
tulc(is just sayn')

The President does not fit the DEA ription for the obvious reasons that he has never recruited 150 people while a member of the KKK. And he has never opposed the civil Rights ament.

Wanna try again?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Valid question. What are your thoughts?
I'm having a hard time with this one, I know who you are referring to, but not because of his party affiliation. It's because of the turn around of his views over his very long political career and because many of the properties that bear his name do so because he 'brought home the pork' to West Virginia for those projects. He wasn't being honored as some American hero or for military greatness.
I think it would depend on each individual instance.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Shouldn't it depend on whether the property is federal, state, or private?
The whole idea of removing statues of heroes from the past is that they do not deserve to remain, given the demands of BLM and Antifa. So the question seems to have been asked with consistency in mind. You didn't take that into account.

If a statue of Ulysses S. Grant or Thomas Jefferson, for example, has to go, how could an individual such as the one described in the Original Post NOT deserve to be removed?

• Winner
Reactions: RushMAN
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The whole idea of removing statues of heroes from the past is that they do not deserve to remain, given the demands of BLM and Antifa. So the question seems to have been asked with consistency in mind. You didn't take that into account.

If a statue of Ulysses S. Grant or Thomas Jefferson, for example, has to go, how could an individual such as the one described in the Original Post NOT deserve to be removed?
I'm being asked what I think not what BLM or anyone else thinks.

• Agree
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,403.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
it is only a trap if there is a political bias
No, it's a trap because of your intent. You want progressives to agree with you and then spring the gotcha that you are talking about Robert Byrd, while of course leaving out the fact that he repented of his racism and for half his life was a champion for civil rights.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,126.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm having a hard time with this one, I know who you are referring to, but not because of his party affiliation. It's because of the turn around of his views over his very long political career and because many of the properties that bear his name do so because he 'brought home the pork' to West Virginia for those projects. He wasn't being honored as some American hero or for military greatness.
I think it would depend on each individual instance.

very possibly. The only question that remains is did he ever disavow being a KKK organizer or fighting against the Civil Rights act.

Senator Byrd did have a long career, one of the longest. He seems to have done a 180 and bravo if he actually did. I just am not convinced that it was part of a personal epiphany or just politically expedient for his career.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,126.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, it's a trap because of your intent. You want progressives to agree with you and then spring the gotcha that you are talking about Robert Byrd, while of course leaving out the fact that he repented of his racism and for half his life was a champion for civil rights.

That is your opinion, however it is mistaken.

My reason for not mentioning Senator Byrd’s name initially is to see if the issue could be discussed on merit. The facts abscent personality.

obviously some cannot separate their political loyalties from the plain facts.

Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
very possibly. The only question that remains is did he ever disavow being a KKK organizer or fighting against the Civil Rights act.
Yes, he did.
Senator Byrd did have a long career, one of the longest. He seems to have done a 180 and bravo if he actually did. I just am not convinced that it was part of a personal epiphany or just politically expedient for his career.
Can we know that about anyone? I think what we have is the actions of a person.

I think him doing a '180' is evidence and the NAACP said this,
Upon news of his death, the NAACP released a statement praising Byrd, saying that he "became a champion for civil rights and liberties" and "came to consistently support the NAACP civil rights agenda".[87]
Robert Byrd - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,403.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
That is your opinion, however it is mistaken.

My reason for not mentioning Senator Byrd’s name initially is to see if the issue could be discussed on merit. The facts abscent personality.

obviously some cannot separate their political loyalties from the plain facts.
If it was only about facts, why did you leave out that he had a long standing position supporting civil rights? If it was only about the facts, why did you leave out the fact that he apologized multiple times for joining the Klan. And and i would feel the same way if he was a Republican. This has nothing to do with political loyalty, but more disagreement with your tactics.

Upvote 0