Mathews
✟271,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
admins, if my post is in the wrong place, I apologize, it’s not deliberate. I started to post in the junk drawer but that subcategory said no theology and I suppose my question fits in the topic of theology...
Anyway...

Curious what opinions are out there regarding mental illness as far as spirituality is concerned and if anyone knows of any scripture pertaining to mental illness?

• Prayers
Reactions: “Paisios”

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Curious what opinions are out there regarding mental illness as far as spirituality is concerned and if anyone knows of any scripture pertaining to mental illness?
Here is a very good resource which has helped me to better understand this subject:
https://www.ccef.org/

Of particular help to me was a book written by one of their faculty, Edward Welch called
"Blame It on the Brain: Distinguishing Chemical Imbalances, Brain Disorders, and Disobedience"

• Informative
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Mental illness is, in many cases, a physical condition that can be treated with medicine.

However, those physical things are inevitably mixed up with emotional and spiritual things.

Relevant scripture would depend on what kind of mental illness you are talking about.

Upvote 0

John Bowen

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2018
dueba
✟48,940.00
Country
Fiji
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
'' Seek first the kingdom of God and all things will be added unto you " ' The kingdom of God is within you " " You have to look at the beam in your eye " Jesus gave us the keys to mental freedom and that is going within our selves and looking at our beliefs that limit us. Therapy is really helpful lots good videos on you tube Merry Christmas .

Reactions: WESTOZZIE
Upvote 0

WESTOZZIE

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
WA
Visit site
✟54,255.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This story and other mentions of Saul's "mental illness" is a good illustration of how things work.

1Sa 18:6 It happened as they were coming, when David returned from killing the Philistine, that the women came out of all the cities of Israel, singing and dancing, to meet King Saul, with tambourines, with joy and with musical instruments.
1Sa 18:7 The women sang as they played, and said, "Saul has slain his thousands, And David his ten thousands."
1Sa 18:8 Then Saul became very angry, for this saying displeased him; and he said, "They have ascribed to David ten thousands, but to me they have ascribed thousands. Now what more can he have but the kingdom?"
1Sa 18:9 Saul looked at David with suspicion (watch with jealousy) from that day on.
1Sa 18:10 Now it came about on the next day that an evil spirit from God came mightily upon Saul, and he raved in the midst of the house, while David was playing the harp with his hand, as usual; and a spear was in Saul's hand.
1Sa 18:11 Saul hurled the spear for he thought, "I will pin David to the wall." But David escaped from his presence twice.
1Sa 18:12 Now Saul was afraid of David, for the LORD was with him but had departed from Saul.

If Saul was to ask, "Where did this mental illness and torment come from in my life?" it would be traced back to his jealousy and anger over David getting the applause instead of him. Instead of repenting he held onto the anger as a way of feeling superior to David...who he really was afraid of. It is a sad picture of a man who outwardly was of great stature but inwardly was a scared little boy who did not know the Father's love for him.

We see that Saul was the son of Kish who was a mighty man of valor himself....but then we see that Saul was hiding when the people came to make him king. He was a young man who was already broken inside in some way.....possibly from having a mighty warrior dad to live up to.

But for all conditions we all struggle with at times in our minds Jesus is sufficient. He is well acquainted with our sorrows and griefs and pains...He bore them on the cross and He continues to bear them as He lives every moment in you and me.
The thing is we are not any less a citizen of the Kingdom than those who have no illness. It is Jesus who qualifies us not our abilities or performance or the condition of our mind.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

After my brother completed a successful suicide, my view is this passage is the best:

2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

What Does the Bible Say About Mental Illness?

Upvote 0

Beautyinsteadofashes

Site Supporter
May 16, 2017
Mathews
✟271,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
  • Agree
Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
After my brother completed a successful suicide, my view is this passage is the best:

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Interesting post/topic, especially since I've had a history with this myself. Really the bible doesn't seem to say too much about mental illness per se, although it takes emotional anguish and despair seriously. The message I get with this, as with all else, is to keep seeking God for comfort and strength. Mental illness is a horrible to deal with.

Upvote 0