The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
This started as a reply to @PloverWing in the thread on altar guilds, but as I continued to explore the question of church hierarchy I decided that this needed to be a new thread.

I did read the rest of the post. There was an element of control in the language of the post that made me uncomfortable. I was hearing in your post a picture of the altar guild as not-entirely-reliable assistants to the priest who can be capable of good work but who need to be well-governed by the priest, and who maybe shouldn't be allowed near the altar without the priest's permission.

I do beg your pardon, but I fear you inadvertently made me uncomfortable, because the way you quoted me in the previous post struck me as being unwittingly selective and out of context, making it look like I am opposed to altar guilds, when my prior post, I do sincerely believe, made it very clear that I was not.

As far as there being an “element of control” in my language, all I can say is, I hope there is; when I was in school, as far back as fourth grade, we were consistently taught to be neither passive, nor aggressive, but assertive, and in divinity school, we were taught to speak clearly and with authority. We were also taught to be concise, which given the length of this post, I think I failed at in this instance, but in my defense I have never preached a sermon lasting more than 15 minutes.

Now, it is my view that the bishop, priest serving under a bishop, pastor, presbyter, or teaching elder in Congregational parlance is ultimately responsible for the spiritual wellbeing of his flock, as their loving shepherd; it is ultimately the responsibility of the pastor in every church, with or without an altar guild, to ensure that the altar area is clean, appropriately furnished, and fit for divine service, and that the Holy Table has on it that which is necessary for what the Orthodox call “the Holy oblation,” “a sacrifice of praise” and a “mercy of peace.” It is also the duty of the pastor in the extremely unlikely event that the altar guild placed something inappropriate on the Holy Table to remove it and gently correct them. I never had to do this, but I have heard of clergy in the mainline churches having to remove, for example, an idol of the Buddha, and also distressingly, other clergy allowing the Buddha to remain.

Your own Episcopalian parish of St. Gregory of Nyssa* has some very questionable iconography and altar furniture, for example, an icon of the Kangxi Emperor, who ordered the mass-murder of all Christians living in China for the very petty reason that he found the doctrinal disputes between the Dominicans and Jesuits to be annoying. But that parish is really a case of top-down control, so I don’t blame the altar guild at all. If the altar guild makes a mistake, it is the fault of the priest for failing to provide them with well-catechised, pious members and proper instructional material, such as the book The United Methodist Altar, or for use in Anglican churches in the United Kingdom, Europe and Australia, and possibly Canada, The Parson’s Handbook by Rev. Percy Dearmer.

Yes, the altar guild in the OP made a mistake. And priests make mistakes, and deacons make mistakes. And we gently correct each other, with humility, when appropriate.

While it is ultimately the responsibility of the parish priest or elder, as John Wesley preferred to call them, to ensure the altar is properly furnished, a point driven home in the Eastern Orthodox church when a bishop visits a parish for a hierarchical liturgy, at which time the bishop will inspect the altar area and also closely inspect the antimension (a corporal with a relic sewn inside, signed by the bishop, which in the EO tradition is required for the celebration of the liturgy, and which can also be used on multiple services, for example, some priests might have their own antimension for use on altar tables in non-Orthodox churches and for use in hospital rooms and chapels), any rebuke delivered to the altar guild should be made only in the event of a dire mistake, like placing on the holy table a Buddha idol or a crucifix that depicts Christ as a woman,** and even then it should be delivered in humility. In this particular case, if I were the elder of that UMC parish, I would simply say to the altar guild “it looks nice, but you forgot the cross, so please make sure you place it in the center of the altar based on the instructions in the copies of United Methodist Altars I gave you.” That’s it. No meanness, no snark, no Gordon Ramsay style abuse; anyone who would treat their lay volunteers like that should be defrocked.

The picture of a strong hierarchy, with clergy governing the laity, is not what I would want to see in a church.

Unfortunately, the Episcopal Church has a very strong hierarchy, as the thousands of excommunicated-and- trespassed former parishioners of St. James Episcopal Church in Newport Beach,*** St. Luke in the Hills Episcopal Church, and hundreds of other congregations which felt morally compelled to leave for the ACNA or other, greener pastures can attest. It would have saved the Episcopal church a lot of money ($40 million in legal fees according to multiple reports) to have gracious dismissal like the PCUSA and the ELCA, which have allowed disaffected Presbyterian and Lutheran parishes to join ECO, NALC or other such churches.

The UMC in preparation for its schism is also planning on offering gracious dismissal, although as I have expressed elsewhere I disagree, at a minimum, with who they intend to offer gracious dismissal to. Unfortunately for the former parishioners of St. Paul’s UMC in Anchorage, Alaska, this is coming a bit late, because after their congregation complained about the elder that was appointed to them, the Bishop in charge of their Conference closed their parish and liquidated the building, the construction of which the congregation had paid for itself.

Fortunately, the congregation was able to afford a replacement and continues to thrive, while if memory served the UMC building became a carwash. The details of this sad case can be seen here: Concerned Methodists - St. Paul's UMC

There have also been many cases of modernist Roman Catholic bishops who have fought tooth and nail to obstruct the rights of Catholics to use the Tridentine mass granted by Pope Benedict XVI under Summorum Pontificum, and who do other things that seem to be calculated to infuriate traditional Roman Catholics.****

There are two forms of church polity I really like, and those are Congregational and Episcopal polities (I believe Presbyterian polities are also Biblical, as there is some evidence to suggest some of the early churches were run this way, with the Episkopos serving a role somewhat like a Presbyterian Moderator as Primus Inter Pares). All of the early churches really started out as a form of Congregational church (albeit without the specifics of ruling elders and teaching elders, which came about in the Protestant Reformation) and wound up over time, as more parishes were opened under the authority of the local bishop, becoming Episcopal. Since we are now in a new missionary era due to the moral collapse of Western society, the Congregational polity is relevant, and I am thankful the UCC is congregational, as it has allowed the remaining traditional parishes to be traditional ( the Faithful and Welcoming group ) while also allowing those congregations which felt a moral obligation to leave.

I have also seen three cases where Episcopal leadership was not firm enough. In Southern California I visited a beautiful former parish of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia the members of which became outraged when ROCOR in 2007 healed its 75 year schism with the Moscow Patriarchate*****. Unfortunately, the parish won a lawsuit to take control of the building necause ROCOR failed to file a reply on time, and I say unfortunately because the parish was taken over by a cult masquerading as an Old Calendarist group, but a cult nonetheless.

However, it would be foolish of me if I were to suggest that the Episcopal Church and the other great Anglican, Moravian, Methodist and Lutheran churches with bishops, and the ancient Roman, Orthodox and Assyrian churches cast away their bishops, most of whom are exceptionally pious and humble, and become Congregational. In fact, I don’t think there is a Congregationalist alive in the US today who would want that (although there are some other churches that use congregational polity which are fiercely anti-episcopal, although many of them, such as the Calvary Chapel, lack the democratic checks and balances of true Congregational polity). Rather, I think there is a delicate balance to be found between a strong hierarchy that can enforce Galatians 1:8 and keep parishes out of trouble, while providing protections so that a parish like St. James Episcopal Church or St. Paul’s in Fairbanks is protected from the unilateral and unexplained, Kafka-esque shutdown experienced by the latter, or from having to endure what the congregation can obviously perceive as a Galatians 1:8 violation in the case of the former.

What I wish ACNA and some of the continuing Anglican churches would do is seek to future-proof their relationship with their parishes so that no congregation could be evicted from its parish building because it rejected any new doctrine, doctrinal definition or liturgical material, or, based on such innovation, felt compelled to seek communion with a different church (with an important proviso being that if the diocese the parish wanted to leave had paid for or contributed to the costs of acquiring and/or building the church, the diocese would be entitled to reimbursement or to collect a reasonable monthly rent). Indeed, I think such a model would be ideal for all churches with episcopal polity. The Orthodox could certainly apply it, since no substantial changes to the Orthodox liturgy are ever supposed to occur******.

St. Ignatius of Antioch, the glorious martyr who wrote “birth pangs are upon me...suffer me to become human” to the church in Rome to persuade them to not attempt to rescue him from the arena where lions would ultimately devour him, also wrote something very important for all Christian laity: “Let nothing be dome without the bishop.” In Congregational and Presbyterian churches, this can be interpreted as referring to the senior pastor. Using this powerful Patristic statement to guide our interpretation of Sacred Scripture, a strong hierarchy is required by Galatians 1:8, but Galatians 1:8 also requires a way to remove that hierarchy when it becomes abusive. However, when we consider that traditional Episcopalians were unable to petition the Roman Empire to convene an Ecumenical Council in 1979 or 2003, the practical solution is to provide a means of departure, because ultimately, the tens of millions of dollars spent by the Episcopal Church in legal fees far exceeds the value of the properties, especially when you consider that most departing congregations expressed a willingness to pay rent, and the money saved on lawyers and earned from renting church buildings that would otherwise have to be sold, could have been put to very goof use by the excellent charity operations of the Episcopal Church, which along with those provided by the Roman Catholic Church and the Salvation Army, represent the three best and most comprehensive charitable operations in the US.

Reactions: Pavel Mosko

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
And now for the six footnotes, a new personal record for posts on CF.com, and one I have attained with some trepidation.

* There are two infamous parishes, both of which I learned about from reading threads on this site, and subsequently varied, located in the Bay Area, which are horrible, St. Gregory of Nyssa Episcopal Church and Ebenezer Lutheran Church. I call them horrible, because these two churches deviate dramatically from the teachings of their own denomination and engage in religious syncretism to the point where, in the case of Ebenezer Lutheran, also known as “herchurch,” seems to push the very boundaries of the Nicene Creed, quite possibly past the breaking point, in their exploration of the “divine feminine” and in their sale of “mother goddess rosaries” (one CF.com member said he thought the goddess looked like Aurora; I wouldn’t know as I believe that as a minister in the Christian Church I should avert my eyes from idols as St. John the Beloved Disciple admonishes us in 1 John 5:21, so to me, Aurora is the princess in the Tchaikovsky ballet and Walt Disney animated film Sleeping Beauty). I believe St. Gregory of Nyssa is indicative of what the OP called “a strong hierarchy” and what I would call an arrogant and heavy-handed hierarchy; to me it is inconceivable that in California, you have a conservative, traditional parish like St. James in Newport Beach illegally driven from their parish for eight years, and many others permanently evicted, largely due to opposition to homosexual clergy and marriage on the basis of innumerable verses of sacred scripture, while St. Gregory of Nyssa gets away with having on its ceiling “icons” of the Kangxi Emperor, Malcolm X (who, after leaving the anti-Semitic Nation of Islam, became an apologist for Sunni Islam), the co-founder of the Shaker cult, which renounced marriage and perpetuated its existence by adopting orphaned children and teaching them to be afraid of sex (a form of grooming), and various other non-Christians, and which has an Anaphora of Cain (the proto-murderer) as one of several used in the Eucharist, and which falsely claims Sts. Sergius and Bacchus were gay (this is a modern myth, dating from the 1970s), and which incorporates a Shinto shrine into its funeral rites, among other abuses.

If the Episcopal hierarchy is guilty of authoritarianism and hypocrisy in tolerating the Cathedral of St. John the Divine and the Parish Church of St. Gregory of Nyssa, the ELCA hierarchy is guilty of being entirely too weak. I am aware of no instances where an ELCA parish has been ejected for being too traditional or conservative, and the ELCA in contrast to the Episcopal Church has provided for traditional congregations that can’t cope with it the ability to leave, much like the PCUSA. However, this increasingly looks like a lack of leadership when one considers the fairly large number of problematic ELCA parishes, the blasphemous content of their new 2006 hymnal, which stands in stark contrast to the 1978 Lutheran Book of Worship, which was a decent hymnal, not as good as the ALC’s 1959 Lutheran Hymnal and Service Book or the classic 1941 Lutheran Hymnal published by the LCMS but widely used even in some Methodist churches, and Ebenezer Lutheran herchurch. At some point, the bishops in the ELCA needed the guts to say “no”, even if it hurts someones feelings. They need to tell herchurch to focus on the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to smash the mother goddess idols, and to stop calling itself herchurch, but perhaps if it wants to honor women, to name itself for one of the many thousands of Christian saints, like St. Nino, an Armenian princess who singlehandedly converted Georgia to Christianity, or if that isn’t impressive enough, St. Mary, the mother of our God, whose sacred womb contained He who is uncontainable, and who held in her arms her own creator and savior. And since the 2006 hymnal is such a nightmare, perhaps adopt Glory to God, the vastly superior 2009 PCUSA hymnal, which while still the work of a liberal church, features excellent liturgical services, better than those in the ELCA hymnal, and a Christocentric selection of hymns. Or better yet, license the 2006 Lutheran Service Book, or simply resume printing the Lutheran Book of Worship (there was no need to replace it; the 2009 Presbyterian hymnal contains the laughable statement that mainline churches should replace their hymnals every 20 years; tell this to the LCMS churches still using the 1941 hymnal, or to the Eastern Orthodox churches still using the Octoechos, Triodion, Pentecostarion and Menaion, which are an average of 1,000 years old).

** “Christa,” a blasphemous idol made by the apostate granddaughter of Winston Churchill, who, not content to simply leave the Church of England, decided that it would be a good idea to commit blasphemy by depicting Jesus Christ as a woman in a 1975 sculpture. This was first exhibited at St. John the Divine in 1984, but fortunately, at the time the local suffragan bishop Walter Dennis ordered its immediate removal, telling the Dean of St. John’s that the idol was “desecrating our symbols,” being “morally and theologically unjustifiable.” Ironically, Bishop Dennis was responsible for the Dennis Canon, the chief enabling device of the heavy-handed hierarchy that, for the past 17 years, ruled the Episcopal Church with an iron fist. This canon was ironically used to evict parishioners from their parishes if, for example, they, like Bishop Dennis, recoiled in horror at the sight of this vile “artwork,” which was put back on display in 2016, along with a collection of similarly blasphemous artwork, in defense of which the Dean of St. John the Divine actually said “Times have changed. We have women bishops now.” Well, news flash: churches all over the world now have female bishops, and the vast majority of female bishops and ministers, including my mother, who was ordained in the 1960s after studying divinity at a Lutheran seminary (LCA, previously Augustana Synod) would be sickened to see our Lord depicted as a woman.

*** Fortunately, because of credible allegations against Bishop Bruno, and because the sale or use of the property for purposes other than Christian worship was proscribed in the deed donating the land to the Episcopal Church; consequently the property developer bowed out, and the congregation of St. James has been allowed to return, at the specific orders of the new presiding bishop HG Michael Curry, who I do find myself liking. Whether or not this very conservative congregation will be able to stay in their historic church as a parish of the Episcopal Church remains to be seen, but there are still traditional, conservative Episcopalian priests out there, and Nashotah House remains a solidly traditional seminary. As for Bishop Bruno, if the Episcopal Church had followed ancient canon law he might never have been ordained, because baptized Christians who killed someone for any reason, whether legal, as soldiers or police, or accidental, or criminal as a result of negligence (manslaughter) or malfeasance (murder) were disqualified from the priesthood, and with this canon, oikonomia was granted only very rarely (specifically, St. Moses the Black, but he was baptized after having committed murder, so I am not sure the canon even applied to him).

**** Of course, there have also been far worse bishops in the Roman Catholic Church, namely the paedophiles and paedophile-enablers who moved perverts who dared to act as priests, who should never have been ordained, from parish to parish and sought to keep them well clear of the long arm of the law. There have also been sex abusers in several other denominations. Recently, the Southern Baptist Convention did an admirable job disclosing incidents of abuse, which bolsters my aready high respect for that denomination. To their credit, the ECUSA also disclosed substantial incidents of abuse in the Diocese of New York and elsewhere, but as far as I am aware they have yet to settle a lawsuit against Grace Episcopal Church and the Diocese of Arizona for some severe abuse. The Anglican Church of Canada was the second largest operator, after the Roman Catholic Church, of Canadian Indian Residential Schools, in which First Nations children caught speaking their indigenous language were tortured by being forced to eat soap or through brutal beatings with a leather strap (corporal punishment with leather straps persisted in the Canadian provincial and federal prison systems for decades after flogging, pillories and ice water baths were ruled unconstitutional in the United States). I myself feel that mass resignations of 75-95% of the cardinals in the Roman Catholic Church, and the leading bishops of the Episcopal Church USA and the Anglican Church of Canada are indicated, because the politically most important bishops of a church, which are in Orthodox Churches called The Holy Synod, are a bit like the cabinet of a government in a Westminster-style Parliamentary system, in that among those bishops who surround and support the Pope, Patriarch, Metropolitan, Archbishop or Presiding Bishop, there is or should be an expectation of collective responsibility.

***** This schism was actually ordered by St. Tikhon, the Patriarch of Moscow, after his arrest from the Bolsheviks, because he (correctly) predicted the Soviet Union would corrupt the hierarchy and exploit for devious political purposes or seek to destroy the Russian Orthodox Church wherever it existed. What wound up happening is that the KGB did use some Russian Orthodox churches which did not become a part of ROCOR for espionage, and also used agents, such as Metropolitan Juvenal, codenamed ADAMANT, both to present propaganda about Soviet religious tolerance at the World Council of Churches, which the KGB did infiltrate very heavily, to the point where it was at times able to orchestrate the passage of resolutions critical of US foreign policy. It is a good thing the Orthodox Church of Georgia and other traditional churches are starting to leave the WCC, because in the absence of the Soviets other people with other agendas have rushed in to fill the power vacuum.

****** On the two occasions such changes did happen, in the Russian Orthodox Church under Patriarch Nikhon in 1666, who I like to joke should have stuck to making cameras rather than becoming a monk, and Patriarch Meletius of Constantinople around 1920, the results were ecclesiastical devastation, severe schisms which still have not fully healed, and in Russia, brutal persecution of those who refused to accept the new liturgy. This led to the emergence of about 30 non-Orthodox sects, many of which were apocalyptic cults including a group called the Skoptsky or “mutilators” (I suggest not Googling them as the results are both horrifying and NSFW) and another called the Immolators, who burned themselves alive. Conversely, there was also an interestimg group that emerged called the Molokans, whose doctrines are similiar to the SDAs, and then there were the Doukhobors, whose doctrines were very similiar to the Unitarians, except in terms of politics. A large number of Molokans moved to the United States, and Leo Tolstoy paid for the Doukhobors to emigrate from Russia to Canada. In retrospect, Canada might have done well to refuse them entry, because the Doukhobors had a doctrinal and ideological objection to compulsory public education of children. In protest, they paraded around British Columbia, Alberta and other Western states in a state of total nudity, which resulted in the swift passage of laws prohibiting indecent exposure, which had hitherto been unnecessary in the extremely polite world of early 20th century Canada, when Toronto was known as Methodist Rome, Healey Willan was the astonishingly talented organist at St. James Anglican Church, and beautiful Russian Orthodox and Ukrainian Greek Catholic churches graced the Plains on both sides of the US-Canada border (many of these beautiful wooden churches still stand, sadly abandoned).

Upvote 0

garee

Feb 18, 2013
✟22,818.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hierarchies of men kings, fathers, and princes lord it over the congregation. Therefore making the loving, living commandment of God (not of men) to study in order to seek the approval of God who dwells in the individual. Called two walking together in agreement to the unseen Spirit of faith. . . exclusively as it is written .

Sola scriptura (
Christ's work of faith) is the reforming, restoring law in any generation or personal walk of two in agreement to the word of God

The
abomination of desolation .Mankind seen in the place of Holy unseen place God .

The smallest
congregation being two or three, a nation or family under the hearing of Christ faith as it is written . Sola scriptura the final authority in matter of faith (the unseen glory)

We are warned of those who say we do need a man seen to teach us. they are called
antichrists'. ( many)

Why not simply seek after the
approval of God not seen rather than man seen?

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Very Interesting thread!

I guess I don't think hierarchies mean a lot when the teaching of the Church has been corrupted etc. I grew up as conservative Lutheran before college (but was unhappy growing up with my parochial schools etc.), I was an agnostic as an undergraduate and joined the Charismatic movement in grad school (lots of nondenominational with a little AOG and Foursquare).

After being in the Word of Faith churches, for two years I left them for a nice ECUSA church that was in my hometown that was both traditional and Charismatic behind the scenes. Probably the best church experience of my life as far as having lots of friends at one time at the same church. That church was in a Southern California high desert town in the conservative Diocese of San Juaquin, a large Island of conservativism in a Episcopal denomination that can often be quite liberal. There was a denomination magazine called something like "The Episcopal Life", that was joking named "The Episcopal Lie" by the priest and the Vestry because it had these survey's asking these questions like "Is Jesus the only way to Salvation?", asking about his Divinity, Virgin birth and often other kinds of normal dogmatic catechism questions and they published the results and quiet often there were at least as many people believing the modern liberal interpretation from Jesus seminar etc. as endorsing the correct answer from the Nicene Creed, Bible etc.

Anyway when this stuff happen I'm not sure how important hierarchy is. Now years after I left the denomination a liberal female archbishop took over, where things got worse. I haven't heard anything about the new guy running things..

The Heresies of Episcopal Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori | VirtueOnline – The Voice for Global Orthodox Anglicanism

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Did you really keep sermons under 15 minutes? ^_^

Yes. This actually probably made me unpopular with my former employer, because the liturgy was frequently so boring that the sermon was the main event. I tried to compensate for this by adding more liturgical content to the services I was assigned to, to which end I used a modified copy of the UCC Book of Worship adjusted to remove the most unacceptably liberal aspects and tried to make the services rich in liturgy more like Anglican, high church Lutheran, Catholic or Orthodox* worship. I had no chance of achieving the kind of beauty one finds in the case of the gorgeous traditional Latin Mass of the Roman Rite and its surviving regional and monastic variants, the Gallican-derived Mozarabic or Ambrosian Rites or the exquisite divine liturgies of the Armenian, Byzantine, Coptic, East Syriac, Ethiopian, Maronite and West Syriac rites, or the stunningly beautiful services of High Church and Anglo Catholic parishes using the 1662, 1928 American, 1929 Scottish Books of Common Prayer, or the Anglican Service Book variant of the 1979 American BCP, or certain Lutheran hymnals and older Methodist, Moravian and Congregational* liturgical texts. But I did achieve something that was on a par with a typical Novus Ordo Mass, or a typical Rite II of the 1979 BCP. The music was decent, as the congregation and choir could sing and we had a good organ and a good organist, but I was stuck with banal contemporary English*, boring vestments, a lack of incense, and occasional really ugly paraments (I once had a hot pink, violet and turqoise altar frontal removed before I began my service; @PloverWing would be happy to know that this was not me imposing my will on the altar guild but rather the altar guild and myself being of one mind and one accord, that being that the powerful member of the parish who donated it and the senior pastor who was comfortable serving in front of it, since they attended the same service, were welcome to use it, but at the morning and evening services I did, the altar guild was happy to remove it, and nary a tear was shed.

The problem though was the senior pastor, who I loved dearly, was an awesome preacher who could hold a congregation’s attention for 45 minutes. I am not that guy, but that is what the congregation had grown accustomed to and wanted. It was kind of a throwback to 18th century iconoclastic Congregationalism, which wasn’t quite four bare walls and a sermon, as there were always hymns and anyone who has seen very many 18th century Congregational churches will know that there is frequently a pulpit with a sounding board suspended overhead (albeit sadly lacking the ornate design of 16th-19th century pulpits in Catholic and Lutheran churches, some baroque examples of which are priceless masterpieces of art).

*Orthodox churches get away with contemporary English because the overall liturgy is so splendid, but even the Orthodox liturgy sounds better in traditional Liturgical Jacobean English.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So, there's a lot here.

1. My main concern in the previous thread was that it sounded like the pastor didn't have enough respect for the altar guild and other lay members of the church. But the wording in this post is different, so I think my previous impression came just from accidents of word choice. As long as the clergy and the laity are respecting each other as co-workers in the church -- the priest with more expertise in theological studies, the altar guild with more expertise in how the liturgy has historically been done in this particular parish -- then I'm comfortable with that relationship.

2. I can't really speak to parishes that I've never visited. With St Gregory of Nyssa parish, for example, I've never met their priests, so I can't evaluate how heavy-handed their priests are when interacting with the congregation.

3. The lawsuits in the Episcopal church: I largely agree with you here. The best way forward is for ownership of buildings to be clearly spelled out in the legal paperwork. Maybe the building belongs to the diocese, or maybe it belongs to the congregation, but put it all in legally-precise writing, so that everybody knows what the rules are when a congregation dissents from the national church. I would prefer that that had been done 200 or 300 years ago, but maybe they weren't envisioning schism then.

4. On contemporary language: I like seeing contemporary language as part of the liturgy, as long as it's well-written -- theologically precise and accurate, poetic in its phrasing, and so on. Latin and Elizabethan English are good languages, with some excellent works written in them, but they aren't my native language, and there's an authenticity to worshipping God in the language I actually speak. Contemporary English can easily be part of Anglo-Catholic worship.

• Useful
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
The spell checker demons have struck again! ^_^

I seriously ROFLd. I had of course intended to type “a lack of incense” but iPad Autocomplete bit me hard in the rear. And how dare it! What’s it trying to do, make me look like Muhammed?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I seriously ROFLd. I had of course intended to type “a lack of incense” but iPad Autocomplete bit me hard in the rear. And how dare it! What’s it trying to do, make me look like Muhammed?
tenor.gif

• Haha
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Now, it is my view that the bishop, priest serving under a bishop, pastor, presbyter, or teaching elder in Congregational parlance is ultimately responsible for the spiritual wellbeing of his flock, as their loving shepherd; it is ultimately the responsibility of the pastor in every church, with or without an altar guild, to ensure that the altar area is clean, appropriately furnished, and fit for divine service, and that the Holy Table has on it that which is necessary for what the Orthodox call “the Holy oblation,” “a sacrifice of praise” and a “mercy of peace.”
As someone from the same Reformed tradition as the Congregational churches, I'm surprised to see them in this list. At least in Presbyterian practice -- and I think also Congregational -- it's the Session, or its equivalent, that has the ultimate responsibility for the spiritual wellbeing of the flock. They commonly delegate most of this to the teaching elder, maybe even too much, so surely that person should be prepared to be assertive as you describe in carrying out their responsibility.

To my knowledge, Presbyterians don't typically have an "altar guild." What we have is a worship commission. Depending upon the local church, the amount of authority delegated by the Session varies, but either the commission or the Session would actually have authority over the liturgy, with the pastor being the final authority only on the contents of their sermon, and I think choice of text and hymns. I'm not sure how much of this carries over to Congregational practice, but it seems consistent with the general Reformed concept of polity.

This seems to be the same split as described by Ploverwing in "the priest with more expertise in theological studies, the altar guild with more expertise in how the liturgy has historically been done in this particular parish." The pastor has authority over Scripture and sermon both because he or she has expertise in theological study and because at times it is the duty of a pastor to say things to the congregation that they might not want to hear.

As you surely know, in the Reformed tradition, although there a hierarchy (except in Congregational churches), authority is primarily held by bodies such as Session and Presbytery, rather than individuals. This has created difficulties in ecumenical projects, since it's challenging to negotiate a full communion agreement with a group that expects to see bishops rather than presbyteries on our end of the relationship.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
As someone from the same Reformed tradition as the Congregational churches, I'm surprised to see them in this list. At least in Presbyterian practice -- and I think also Congregational -- it's the Session, or its equivalent, that has the ultimate responsibility for the spiritual wellbeing of the flock. They commonly delegate most of this to the teaching elder, maybe even too much, so surely that person should be prepared to be assertive as you describe in carrying out their responsibility.

To my knowledge, Presbyterians don't typically have an "altar guild." What we have is a worship commission. Depending upon the local church, the amount of authority delegated by the Session varies, but either the commission or the Session would actually have authority over the liturgy, with the pastor being the final authority only on the contents of their sermon, and I think choice of text and hymns. I'm not sure how much of this carries over to Congregational practice, but it seems consistent with the general Reformed concept of polity.

This seems to be the same split as described by Ploverwing in "the priest with more expertise in theological studies, the altar guild with more expertise in how the liturgy has historically been done in this particular parish." The pastor has authority over Scripture and sermon both because he or she has expertise in theological study and because at times it is the duty of a pastor to say things to the congregation that they might not want to hear.

As you surely know, in the Reformed tradition, although there a hierarchy (except in Congregational churches), authority is primarily held by bodies such as Session and Presbytery, rather than individuals. This has created difficulties in ecumenical projects, since it's challenging to negotiate a full communion agreement with a group that expects to see bishops rather than presbyteries on our end of the relationship.

I myself don’t understand why that has to be a problem; episcopal churches ought to regard the Moderator as being functionally equivalent to an archbishop locum tenems, that is to say, a primus inter pares serving for a limited amount of time, the difference being the Moderator is a perpetual office; Presbyterian churches should in turn train and consecrate their Moderators to speak for the church and its presbyteries or classis in ecumenical dialogue, so as to improve the efficiency with which ecumenical dialogue can happen. I have found only one weakness in Presbyterian polity; the oversight it provides is good, but it ultimately has not been enough to prevent radical changes, for example, in the doctrine of the PCUSA or the liturgy of Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Very Interesting thread!

I guess I don't think hierarchies mean a lot when the teaching of the Church has been corrupted etc. I grew up as conservative Lutheran before college (but was unhappy growing up with my parochial schools etc.), I was an agnostic as an undergraduate and joined the Charismatic movement in grad school (lots of nondenominational with a little AOG and Foursquare).

After being in the Word of Faith churches, for two years I left them for a nice ECUSA church that was in my hometown that was both traditional and Charismatic behind the scenes. Probably the best church experience of my life as far as having lots of friends at one time at the same church. That church was in a Southern California high desert town in the conservative Diocese of San Juaquin, a large Island of conservativism in a Episcopal denomination that can often be quite liberal. There was a denomination magazine called something like "The Episcopal Life", that was joking named "The Episcopal Lie" by the priest and the Vestry because it had these survey's asking these questions like "Is Jesus the only way to Salvation?", asking about his Divinity, Virgin birth and often other kinds of normal dogmatic catechism questions and they published the results and quiet often there were at least as many people believing the modern liberal interpretation from Jesus seminar etc. as endorsing the correct answer from the Nicene Creed, Bible etc.

Anyway when this stuff happen I'm not sure how important hierarchy is. Now years after I left the denomination a liberal female archbishop took over, where things got worse. I haven't heard anything about the new guy running things..

The Heresies of Episcopal Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori | VirtueOnline – The Voice for Global Orthodox Anglicanism

The former Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church made decisions I greatly disagree with. Her successor, Michael Curry, I do like; he is a liberal Christian, but a Christian who loves Jesus, clearly.

EDIT: Edited to avoid a potential rules violation and to preserve the collegiality of the forum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
As long as the clergy and the laity are respecting each other as co-workers in the church -- the priest with more expertise in theological studies, the altar guild with more expertise in how the liturgy has historically been done in this particular parish -- then I'm comfortable with that relationship.

What you say here might be applicable to some Protestant churches in the low church, aliturgical tradition, but when it comes to a liturgical church, if one believes as I do that the liturgy is both divine and salvific, it is imperative for the priest to take charge of the liturgy and ensure that it is done reverently, piously and in accordance with the traditions of his denomination.

So, for example, the Roman Catholic priests I respect the most are those who ban praise and worship music and misalettes, and instead follow the still binding instructions of Pius X on sacred music, implementing Gregorian Chant and other traditional church music prescribed by Pope Pius X whether the people initially like it or not, and obtaining good quality permanent missals. And at the same time, following the mandate of Vatican II and Sacrosanctum Concilium to provide for the public celebration of the Liturgy of the Hours, which is seriously neglected in most of the Roman Catholic Church outside of monasteries. If he makes available the Extraordinary Form as allowed under Summorum Pontificum, bonus points, and still more bonus points if he removes what is ironically nicknamed the “Cranmer Table”* and celebrates the Novus Ordo ad orientem rather than versus populum, something which is explicitly allowed.**

Orthodox priests have it easier in a sense, because all they have to do is make sure everything is done with quality. There is no altar guild, because one must be at least a deacon to even touch the Holy Table. And if a priest dares to change anything, the congregation will revolt, and if the bishop changes anything, a schism will ensue, which is why the current liturgical texts of the liturgies of the EO, OO and Assyrian churches are around 500-600 years old, as is the form of the EO liturgy celebrated on Mount Athos, and by the Russian Old Rite Orthodox (Old Believers, who are in schism, and Edinovertsy and Russian communities outside Russia like the Lipovans, who are in communion with the Moscow Patriarchate or another canonical Orthodox Church).

As a liturgical Protestant operating in a church without a strongly enforced liturgy, I have the hardest job, because I have to compile a service that is sufficiently reverent, faithful to tradition, and that the people will accept.

* Ironic, because the presence of a westward facing altar in front of the high altar is often the easiest way to tell a Roman Catholic parish from an older, high church Anglican, Lutheran, Methodist or other liturgical Protestant parish.

** Celebrating the Novus Ordo ad orientem is allowed, but actually I regret there is I believe a rubric which could make removal of the “Cranmer Table” difficult, unless one had a supportive bishop. One such bishop is the Bishop of Pere Marquette, who implemented in his parishes most of the changes I just recommended.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm sure you were appreciated by your parishioners, if for no other reason to beat the Baptists to the restaurant.

Many Orthodox priests do their sermons in ten or even five minutes, and in some cases, dispense with them altogether.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Many Orthodox priests do their sermons in ten or even five minutes, and in some cases, dispense with them altogether.

Yes, but the Divine Liturgy runs about 1 hour and 45 minutes as I recall. Sermon or not, the Baptists still beat them to the restaurant...well at least pre-COVID they did, I'll bet.

• Haha
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The former Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church was not fit for that office. The new guy, whose name I can’t remember, I actually like; ..

The Presiding Bishop of The Episcopal Church is Michael Curry.

• Useful
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I myself don’t understand why that has to be a problem; episcopal churches ought to regard the Moderator as being functionally equivalent to an archbishop locum tenems, ...

I am familiar with the Moderator role in the UCC. It's a foreign concept in my world.

• Agree
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The former Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church was not fit for that office. The new guy, whose name I can’t remember, I actually like; he is a liberal Christian, but a Christian who loves Jesus, clearly, as opposed to an extreme left wing feminist who cannot tolerate dissent and who feels compelled to impose her theological viewpoints on the church.

The former Presiding Bishop was Katharine Jefferts Schori. Our church affirms women in all positions of church ministry, including the episcopate, and Bishop Jefferts Schori has a seminary education and was properly elected and consecrated as presiding bishop, so I see no impediment to her having held the office. I am aware that some dioceses and parishes left the Episcopal Church shortly after she became Presiding Bishop, and that she had a rather harsh policy toward dissenting dioceses and parishes. I don't know if those conflicts could or should have been settled more charitably; perhaps resolution of the conflict was ultimately impossible. Still, that's disagreement over policy, rather than fitness for the office. Note that theological leadership is part of the job of a bishop, so it's not inappropriate for her to have exercised leadership while in office.

The current Presiding Bishop is Michael Curry. I agree that he is an excellent person in the office.

• Agree
Upvote 0