Country
Germany
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Bible Gateway passage: Exodus 32:9-14 - New International Version

Bible Gateway passage: Exodus 32:26-29 - New International Version

How am I to understand/interpret these parts? In the first one it seems as if the Lord has made up his mind on something, yet Moses manages to change his mind as if the Lord were a mere friend or companion. I own an Orthodox study bible, and in the footnotes of earlier verses it is said that the Lord is dispassionate.
In the second part, it is ordered of the Levites to kill their own brothers, neighbors and companions. Was it the ones who worshipped the Golden Calf who received this punishment? Was the punishment of the Levites to kill the people dear to them? I do not understand.

And apologies if this is not the correct subforum. Move thread to the correct one if so, please.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
for the first, God didn't change His mind, but having Moses make intercession shows how far the people fell and how much Moses was willing to go to bat for them.

for the second, it was probably something wicked they did. the golden calf sounds about right. something like that.

• Informative
Reactions: ILiekCatz
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Bible Gateway passage: Exodus 32:9-14 - New International Version

Bible Gateway passage: Exodus 32:26-29 - New International Version

How am I to understand/interpret these parts? In the first one it seems as if the Lord has made up his mind on something, yet Moses manages to change his mind as if the Lord were a mere friend or companion. I own an Orthodox study bible, and in the footnotes of earlier verses it is said that the Lord is dispassionate.
In the second part, it is ordered of the Levites to kill their own brothers, neighbors and companions. Was it the ones who worshipped the Golden Calf who received this punishment? Was the punishment of the Levites to kill the people dear to them? I do not understand.

And apologies if this is not the correct subforum. Move thread to the correct one if so, please.

Your first question about the prayer of Moses. Notice that it is not so much that God changed his mind as it is that God responded to the prayer of Moses, though it could be expressed either way. Take from that what James said, " The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much." But don't dwell on it or read too much into it.

The Levites were commanded to kill those who had worshipped the golden calf. They were to carry out the executions impartially. Whether it was a stranger, a neighbor, or even a family member. That's also a common theme throughout the bible. We are not to show partiality in judgment.

• Informative
Reactions: ILiekCatz
Upvote 0

ILiekCatz

Jan 31, 2020
Leipzig
✟17,446.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
for the first, God didn't change His mind, but having Moses make intercession shows how far the people fell and how much Moses was willing to go to bat for them.

for the second, it was probably something wicked they did. the golden calf sounds about right. something like that.

Your first question about the prayer of Moses. Notice that it is not so much that God changed his mind as it is that God responded to the prayer of Moses, though it could be expressed either way. Take from that what James said, " The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much." But don't dwell on it or read too much into it.

The Levites were commanded to kill those who had worshipped the golden calf. They were to carry out the executions impartially. Whether it was a stranger, a neighbor, or even a family member. That's also a common theme throughout the bible. We are not to show partiality in judgment.
thank you both for your answers. i wish something had been said about this in the footnotes, but either way i am glad the members of this forum are so helpful.

Upvote 0