United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Pray this way!

"Pray, then, in this way: 'Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name.
Your kingdom come. Your will be done, On earth as it is in heaven...
"

I pray this way, "Let your will be done on earth, AS it is in Heaven"
(Including sickness and disease)
Is this wrong?
:)

Reactions: Boogeyman07

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Only if you want to abstain from marriage as well, because there is no marriage in Heaven.

Colossians 3:3 If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. 2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
+
✟21,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I watched a video probly a couple weeks ago where this was mentioned and its power. I pray for His will to be done, sometimes in a specific way..i.e 'God if its Your will then...blahblahblah' or sometimes just closing out i'll pray that His will be done. I usually dont say as it is in heaven but i definitely dont think its wrong at all!

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Gods will to be done on earth as it is in heaven, this means that we look toward heaven rather than things on the earth. It means to be raised with Christ. In my opinion.

Colossians 3:3 If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. 2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.

2 Corinthians 4:16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. 17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, 18 while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,996.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that." James 4:15

Since Yeshua's emphasis was on the kingdom of God such as in Mark 1:14; 9:1, and Luke 4:43, believe that it's about The King, His children, His territory with His government (covenant).

The Kingdom of God has come, coming, and will come.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Proverbs 27:27 Do not boast about tomorrow,
For you do not know what a day may bring forth.

23 Be diligent to know the state of your flocks,
And attend to your herds;
24 For riches are not forever,
Nor does a crown endure to all generations.

James 4 Where do wars and fights come from among you? Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members? 2 You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet[a] you do not have because you do not ask. 3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures. 4 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. 5 Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, “The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously”?

6 But He gives more grace. Therefore He says:

“God resists the proud,
But gives grace to the humble.”[c]

7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.

13 Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will[g] go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit”; 14 whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. 15 Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.” 16 But now you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil.

17 Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Our Lord taught that the royal authority and power of God--God's reign as King--was at hand, and so the Lord in the archetypal prayer tells us to pray thusly, "Your kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as in heaven".

Fundamentally the Christian does not look toward escape from the world into some sweet celestial by-and-by, but instead confesses the redemption of the world that is from God in and through Jesus Christ. "Your kingdom come", may what Christ has said be true, that the least are greatest, that blessed are the poor, the hungry, and those who suffer. "Your kingdom come" as we see in the Lord who sits and dines with prostitutes, lepers, and sinners.

The kingdom of God is not like the temporal powers of this world. God is not a king like Caesar or Herod, Jesus is not a Zealot who will lead a violent uprising against the temporal powers. Instead Jesus will show us what the kingdom of God looks like, by kneeling down and washing the feet of His disciples, by having supper with the tax collector Zaccheus, and by offering His life on the cross, nailed between two brigands, crying out "Forgive them Father, they don't know what they do."

The kingdom of God is at hand, not through power, glory, might. Not in flashiness, pomp, or obvious significance. The kingdom of God is at hand through he suffering Son of God who offers His life as a ransom for sinners, who renders the powers of the world impotent. What is Caesar or Herod or Pilate or Caiaphas in light of the cross-bearing King? Nothing. Their power is temporary, their kingdom fleeting, their glory worthless. Instead God has vindicated the Crucified King, raising Him from the dead and seating Him at His right hand, the Son of Man before the Ancient of Days being given all power, dominion, and authority. His authority is not exercised by the sword, but by service. His dominion is not through the struggle for dominance, but in the preaching of forgiveness. The sword that proceeds out from His mouth is His word of Gospel, that forgiveness of sins are preached in His name, the Gospel that goes forth to the poor, the captive, and the oppressed. His sword is His word by which He says, "Come to me all who are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest."

A kingdom with a banquet where beggars, prostitutes, tax collectors, and the "worthless" are the guests of honor. This is the Gospel of God's kingdom, which is for you, me, and the whole world. That by His broken body and shed blood we have peace with God, and God will set the world to rights; this He does by giving us the promise of life which we have in His Son by the Holy Spirit through faith, and in full at Christ's coming in glory on the last day. World without end.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I watched a video probly a couple weeks ago where this was mentioned and its power. I pray for His will to be done, sometimes in a specific way..i.e 'God if its Your will then...blahblahblah' or sometimes just closing out i'll pray that His will be done. I usually dont say as it is in heaven but i definitely dont think its wrong at all!
I often just say, "Let your will be done" too.
I wonder what it means when it says,
"On earth AS IT IS in Heaven"
Thanks boogey!
Is your screenname anything to do with blues?

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that." James 4:15

Since Yeshua's emphasis was on the kingdom of God such as in Mark 1:14; 9:1, and Luke 4:43, believe that it's about The King, His children, His territory with His government (covenant).

The Kingdom of God has come, coming, and will come.
Hi tturt!
Thanks for the comments.
So you believe that when we say "ON earth as it is in Heaven"
He means He wants His government enforced by us?
OR that as we pray for it, it is more manifest?

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Our Lord taught that the royal authority and power of God--God's reign as King--was at hand, and so the Lord in the archetypal prayer tells us to pray thusly, "Your kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as in heaven".

Fundamentally the Christian does not look toward escape from the world into some sweet celestial by-and-by, but instead confesses the redemption of the world that is from God in and through Jesus Christ. "Your kingdom come", may what Christ has said be true, that the least are greatest, that blessed are the poor, the hungry, and those who suffer. "Your kingdom come" as we see in the Lord who sits and dines with prostitutes, lepers, and sinners.

The kingdom of God is not like the temporal powers of this world. God is not a king like Caesar or Herod, Jesus is not a Zealot who will lead a violent uprising against the temporal powers. Instead Jesus will show us what the kingdom of God looks like, by kneeling down and washing the feet of His disciples, by having supper with the tax collector Zaccheus, and by offering His life on the cross, nailed between two brigands, crying out "Forgive them Father, they don't know what they do."

The kingdom of God is at hand, not through power, glory, might. Not in flashiness, pomp, or obvious significance. The kingdom of God is at hand through he suffering Son of God who offers His life as a ransom for sinners, who renders the powers of the world impotent. What is Caesar or Herod or Pilate or Caiaphas in light of the cross-bearing King? Nothing. Their power is temporary, their kingdom fleeting, their glory worthless. Instead God has vindicated the Crucified King, raising Him from the dead and seating Him at His right hand, the Son of Man before the Ancient of Days being given all power, dominion, and authority. His authority is not exercised by the sword, but by service. His dominion is not through the struggle for dominance, but in the preaching of forgiveness. The sword that proceeds out from His mouth is His word of Gospel, that forgiveness of sins are preached in His name, the Gospel that goes forth to the poor, the captive, and the oppressed. His sword is His word by which He says, "Come to me all who are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest."

A kingdom with a banquet where beggars, prostitutes, tax collectors, and the "worthless" are the guests of honor. This is the Gospel of God's kingdom, which is for you, me, and the whole world. That by His broken body and shed blood we have peace with God, and God will set the world to rights; this He does by giving us the promise of life which we have in His Son by the Holy Spirit through faith, and in full at Christ's coming in glory on the last day. World without end.

-CryptoLutheran
This is beautiful!
Thank you!!
I would love to hear what others think of this post too.
Perhaps there's even a bit more to it than you've shown.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Feb 2, 2016
+
✟21,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I often just say, "Let your will be done" too.
I wonder what it means when it says,
"On earth AS IT IS in Heaven"
Thanks boogey!
Is your screenname anything to do with blues?

I'm not forsure. Maybe something along these lines: humans are given free will, satan and his followers are 'rulers' of the earth for now, by saying that His will be done it kind of justifies Him acting on our behalf for us, doing things that we dont even know we or others need. I wish i could find that video that i mentioned earlier. Maybe the as it is in heaven part is just us saying we realize the perfection of heaven because His perfect law is the 'law of the land' and that His will is a constant, unlike the evilness of our world down here. Im learning as well so thanks for provoking the thoughts :) And regarding my name, I didnt have that in mind when creating it but i suppose it could! Haha

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not forsure. Maybe something along these lines: humans are given free will, satan and his followers are 'rulers' of the earth for now, by saying that His will be done it kind of justifies Him acting on our behalf for us, doing things that we dont even know we or others need. I wish i could find that video that i mentioned earlier. Maybe the as it is in heaven part is just us saying we realize the perfection of heaven because His perfect law is the 'law of the land' and that His will is a constant, unlike the evilness of our world down here. Im learning as well so thanks for provoking the thoughts :) And regarding my name, I didnt have that in mind when creating it but i suppose it could! Haha
Thanks for adding your thoughts.
If a lot of people see it, we should get
a lot of cool PsOV!

Reactions: Boogeyman07
Upvote 0

keltoi

Jan 12, 2007
✟9,317.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Pray this way!

"

Is this wrong?
I don't think there is anything "wrong" with this but I will ask why the difference between "Your will be done", which is an acknowledgement that regardless of what we think God's will will be done, compared to "Let your will be done" which seems to give God permission to do what he wants.
Also the "AS it is in heaven" if you think about it from the "Your will be done" perspective just acknowledges God's ultimate control of both Heaven and Earth.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟802,426.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Who can keep the will of God from happening?

Was this some pie in the sky request made by Jesus, which really could never happen on earth?

If everything is happening in accordance to God’s well, then Jesus might be saying “pray your agreement with God’s will that is happen even if you do not like what you see happening?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We already dead and raised in heaven, therefore if we want that to happen on earth we must bear our cross and follow the Lamb wherever he goes.This is what it means. It means to lay down our lives, as Christ did. We are dead and raised with Christ, and our true life is hidden in Christ, in heaven not on Earth. Naturally this also means to not live in the flesh, with all its desires, and it means to instead love others as our self, by laying down our life for them. It doesnt mean that we waste our time worrying about healing and getting rich, because we are dead and raised with Christ in heaven. ITs about having our heart in heaven instead of earth. Its about seeking God with our heart. Where our treasure is, so our heart will be also (in heaven not earth). ITs not about having an abundant life on earth, or establishing earthy nations, but rather bearing our cross instead and seeking only the kingdom of heaven.

2 Corinthians 4:16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. 17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, 18 while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't think there is anything "wrong" with this but I will ask why the difference between "Your will be done", which is an acknowledgement that regardless of what we think God's will will be done, compared to "Let your will be done" which seems to give God permission to do what he wants.
You don't think it's implied to be a request?
Or do you believe it's an imperative, as it appears.
Same as "GIVE us this day, our daily bread.." Doesn't
seem like much of a "Request" but I"m betting He
sure intended it as such, No? what says you?
Also the "AS it is in heaven" if you think about it from the "Your will be done" perspective just acknowledges God's ultimate control of both Heaven and Earth.
So.. if it's a given,
why would Jesus tell
us to "pray" for it?

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Who can keep the will of God from happening?
Hmmm, good question.
Me?
His will that I don't sin.
Yet i did it. ...

Was this some pie in the ski request made by Jesus, which really could never happen on earth?
Just like when Jesus prays to God, "that they may be one".
Didn't the Father answer!?
Wait, of course He did/does.
So .. we got it!

If everything is happening in accordance to God’s well, then Jesus might be saying “pray your agreement with God’s will that is happen even if you do not like what you see happening?
Can you elaborate?
I'm not always the sharpest
tool, but i want to know what
you're saying.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2012
France
✟105,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pray this way!

"

Is this wrong?
Hello Sunlover
I don't see why you should think praying the prayer our Lord taught us should 'be wrong'?
Your mention of 'sickness and disease' makes me think maybe you are not clear about the difference between what God 'wants' and what He 'allows'?
I do think that too often the 'on earth' is not given the weight it should have. My belief is that The Lord Jesus will reign on earth, over all the earth. It will be a reign of righteousness, justice and joy where Jesus Christ is The King. That's what we should be praying for and as much as is in our gift that is what we should be 'doing', "Your will be done".
Go Well
><>

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello Sunlover
I don't see why you should think praying the prayer our Lord taught us should 'be wrong'?
Oh! Thank you for asking.
I should have clarified. I meant is it that we're praying that His will should be done as it IS
in Heaven. IOW, in Heaven His will is done, and that He wants us to live here without sin,
without tears, without sickness, worshiping the Lord in holiness etc.

Your mention of 'sickness and disease' makes me think maybe you are not clear about the difference between what God 'wants' and what He 'allows'?
He does allow sickness and disease and i believe that His will is our health and peace.
Per 3 John 1/2 etc.

I do think that too often the 'on earth' is not given the weight it should have. My belief is that The Lord Jesus will reign on earth, over all the earth. It will be a reign of righteousness, justice and joy where Jesus Christ is The King. That's what we should be praying for and as much as is in our gift that is what we should be 'doing', "Your will be done".
Go Well
Thank you! This was helpful!
Okay.. cool
Something to think about!

Upvote 0

keltoi

Jan 12, 2007
✟9,317.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You don't think it's implied to be a request?
Or do you believe it's an imperative, as it appears.
Same as "GIVE us this day, our daily bread.." Doesn't
seem like much of a "Request" but I"m betting He
sure intended it as such, No? what says you?

So much depends on the translation being used. I try to see what was written in the original language and then translate it for myself.
The word that stands out to me in Koine Greek is "genetheto". Now this can be translated in various ways which mean similar but not identical things. Genetheto can mean, be done, let be done, it shall be done, be it done, be it (notice no "done"), be, be made, let become, become. The split between imperative and request is about even. I believe it is an imperative in this case and many translations also simply say "your will be done".

With regards to "Give us this day, our daily bread" I'd suggest it isn;t talking about food but instead it is talking about the Word. The actual word order in Koine Greek is "The bread of us (there is a break here for effect) daily give us today" So yes it is a request but not for food but for spiritual enlightenment. Why do I say this? well because if it was about food we would explode if we were given a lifetimes worth of food in one day.

So.. if it's a given,
why would Jesus tell
us to "pray" for it?
Ask yourself this, what was Jesus' purpose here on Earth? What did he teach while he was here?
Did he tell us to "pray" for it? or did he tell us to "pray this way" and within that pray teach us that God's will will be done and we should acknowledge that?

Upvote 0