On Buddhism, Thich Nhat Hanh and Plum Village.

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟745,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I would read Romans 2, it seems there are many God has in His plan of salvation. As Christians we are to know our salvation is by grace ( Ephesians 2:8-10) lived out, as best we can, according to the Lord’s commandments ( Romans 13:8-10). Looking at the world, we are allowed to observe aspects of it that are virtuous but we should be really cautious too ( Philippians 4:8, 1 Thessalonians 5:15-21).

Upvote 0

James_Lai

Oct 22, 2021
Ontario
✟24,480.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I'm struggling to have a definite position on the eternal destiny of non-Christians who seem to produce very good fruit.

Take as an example Zen Master Thich Nath Hanh:
And Plum Village, Europe's largest Buddhist monastery, founded by Thich Nath Hanh:
I can't help but only see good fruit coming out of Thich Nath Hanh and his ministry.

Is Thich Nath Hanh, as well as all the Buddhist monks and lay people that follow his teachings or similar teachings, going to hell?

How would you go about winning Thich Nath Hanh to Christ?

How would you convert a Zen Master to Christ?

For those interested, here is Thich Nath Hanh's view on God:

What is God? | Thich Nhat Hanh answers questions

I think God saves, so it’s not up to us to struggle or worry who’s saved and who’s not.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm struggling to have a definite position on the eternal destiny of non-Christians who seem to produce very good fruit.

And Plum Village, Europe's largest Buddhist monastery, founded by Thich Nath Hanh:
I can't help but only see good fruit coming out of Thich Nath Hanh and his ministry.

Is Thich Nath Hanh, as well as all the Buddhist monks and lay people that follow his teachings or similar teachings, going to hell?

However good we think ourselves (or others), our standard of comparison isn't God's. Our eternal destiny hangs, not on how righteous we are in comparison to one another, but whether or not we meet God's perfect standard. None of us do, however - not even nice Buddhist monks. In fact, God describes every person living apart from Him in very dark, dire terms (Ephesians 2:1-2; Titus 3:5; Colossians 1:21; Jeremiah 17:9). Next to the Light of God, perfect and brilliant, utterly without the slightest hint of darkness (1 John 1:5), we are all of us disgusting, vile, wicked creatures deserving of hell.

God is the Highest Good anyone can pursue. From Him issues all goodness and truth. And the face of God revealed to Man is Jesus Christ. He is God in the flesh, the Way, the Truth and the Life, the only way to God. (John 14:6; Acts 4:12; 1 Timothy 2:5) "I am the Door," Jesus said of himself (John 10:10) and there is no other. If one does not go through him, by faith clothed in his perfection, to God, one cannot encounter God except as wrathful Judge.

John 3:36
36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.

Upvote 0

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

For those interested, here is Thich Nath Hanh's view on God:

What is God? | Thich Nhat Hanh answers questions

There's an account in the scripture where the Lord Jesus compares 1 group of sinners with another.. He says regardless of moral differences, all will perish and come to the same end if they do not repent.

It's in (Luke 13:1-5)

From what I gather here, it doesn't matter how morally 'good' anyone is.. all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

There is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.. but the name of the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts of the Apostles 4:8-12).

If I could paint a picture of what a persons good deeds look like to God (apart from Christ) it's this..

'We are all infected and impure with sin. When we display our righteous deeds, they are nothing but filthy rags. Like autumn leaves, we wither and fall, and our sins sweep us away like the wind.'

(Isaiah 64:6)

Apart from Christ, everyone's good (righteous) deeds are nothing but filthy rags. This is what God says in His Word.

At one point, God did overlook the ignorance of mankind (as to their ability to know His will) but now.. God commands all men everywhere to repent (Acts of the Apostles 17:30) because Christ has revealed God's will to everyone (John 1:18).

I hope this answers your first question.

I'm afraid I don't have time to fully respond to the other questions.

Suffice it to say, it's on the onus of man to respond to the Gospel as God draws them..

God will not force anyone to believe in Christ.

His Word is widely available and proof of His existence is made manifest through His creation (i.e the flora and fauna, the beauty of the sunset and clouds in the sky) and.. within the conscience of a man.

That which may be known of God is manifest in them.. their God-given natural moral compass (Romans 1:18-32).

It's why some (instinctively) believe in a 'higher power' or 'higher being'.. they just don't necessarily believe that it's God (as shown through the Lord Jesus Christ).

If someone requires lengthy convincing, yet still remains skeptical.. I don't believe their heart is ready to receive the Gospel.

To re-iterate and conclude..

Yes, everyone who does not believe on (and receive) the Lord Jesus Christ to save them from their sin.. the wrath of God abides on them and they will not see eternal life (John 3:36, Mark 16:16).

Their good deeds notwithstanding (in spite of their good deeds, altruism, or piety).

Grace and peace..

Last edited:
Upvote 0