• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Olympic-sized battle looms over transgender athletes at Tokyo games

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by HARK!, May 16, 2021.

1. *Starlight*

*Starlight* Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time

+1,354
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    I'm not really sure what the rules are. Are athletes rejected if they take steroids or hormones not to improve their results, but for medical reasons? It would make sense to put transgender athletes in the same category.

It's kind of misleading to just call it a decision. It's a treatment for a medical condition, so the decision here is to either treat it, or leave it untreated. Encouraging athletes to keep their conditions untreated if they want to participate isn't very healthy.

2. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+18,716
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    If the OP is professionally involved with, or even merely a big fan of, elite level sports (in this case, Olympic-style weightlifting), then I retract my comment.

To be clear, I'm not saying that there aren't serious, valid questions about how best to handle this. There are. For the folks who are invested in these events, this is a legitimate point of discussion and debate.

IMO/IME, that's not what's driving the hand-wringing among most of the general populace. For many (probably most/nearly all), athletics is just a convenient outlet for them to express their distaste at accommodating trans people.

3. Ana the Ist

Ana the Ist Aggressively serene!

+7,604
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Why would that be necessary?

I mean, I enjoy Olympic gymnastics....I don't follow it or watch it year round though.

Invested as in "competing" or....?

I understand that is your opinion....and you're certainly entitled to it.

Hubbard, the athlete in question, was a man until the age of 30...transitioned...and already holds multiple records in womens weightlifting.

While it's nice of you to think that the athletes themselves are the ones who should be driving the conversation...they fear for their careers and personal reputations for doing so. It doesn't matter if you believe in cancel culture, they clearly do, and they will certainly be attacked with accusations of transphobia and bigotry (much as you've done here, only less subtle) and they may not be willing to take such risks.

I see no reason why anyone willing to weigh in on the issue shouldn't, since it's a similar issue affecting all of women's sports at this time. There's girls in high school who are effectively engaged in sports they cannot possibly win and are objectively unfair.

It's a valid topic. All should be able to weigh in without character attacks or accusations of bigotry simply for posting an opinion about the fairness of competition.

4. Ana the Ist

+7,604
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Yes.

5. Ana the Ist

+7,604
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Well that in itself is a restriction if it's the case....which certainly sets precedent for any other restrictions.

Trans activists believe that one can spontaneously identify as the other gender at any time and such claims should be accepted without questioning....no medical treatment or surgeries required.

So literally, Usain Bolt should be able to win his sprints as a man....walk over to the women's starting line, explain that he feels like a woman ever since he finished his last race, and then proceed to beat all the female athletes.

I think the fundamental problem here is this....

We (by which I mean both society, psychology, and medical science) don't really understand what transgender "is" well enough to craft fair anti-discrimination legislation or rules that allow for two different outcomes simultaneously. Those outcomes are....

1. Transgender people being able to participate in society free of any discrimination against them in any way.

2. The infringement upon the liberties of other groups in pursuit of outcome #1.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. *Starlight*

*Starlight* Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time

+1,354
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    Then I guess it would be consistent to reject people who transitioned too. But it's still unfair, towards the people who transitioned, and towards people who take steroids or hormones for other medical reasons. So, like I said, there's really no good solution to the whole problem, every alternative is bad in some way.