• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Olympic-sized battle looms over transgender athletes at Tokyo games

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by HARK!, May 16, 2021.

1. HARK!

HARK! Well-Known Member Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter

+3,753
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    “I’m quite disappointed, quite disappointed for the female athlete who will lose out on that spot,” former weightlifter Tracey Lambrechs told TVNZ. “We’re all about equality for women in sport, but right now that equality is being taken away from us.”

She said women who do voice objections to competing against Ms. Hubbard, who competed on the men’s side as Gavin Hubbard before transitioning in 2013, are silenced.

“I’ve had female weightlifters come up to me and say, ‘What do we do? This isn’t fair, what do we do?’” Ms. Lambrechs said. “Unfortunately, there’s nothing we can do because every time we voice it, we get told to be quiet.”

Olympic-sized battle looms over transgender athletes at Tokyo games

I grieves my heart that the hard work and dreams of these women, are being stolen from them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. *Starlight*

*Starlight* Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time

+1,354
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    It's just a really difficult situation, with no clear cut answer.

With current technology, perfect transition isn't possible, so when someone transitions from one sex to the other, they'd probably be somewhere in between when it comes to abilities like physical strength. So technically, it wouldn't be really fair to put them in either category in sports, but they're also not common enough to create a third category just for them. On the other hand, not allowing them to participate in competitions at all would be unfair towards them too.

3. Lost4words

Lost4words Jesus I Trust In You Supporter

+8,706
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    World gone bonkers

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  4. HARK!

+3,753
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    It's really not difficult at all. Women are prohibited from taking steroids to compete with men. Allowing men to take drugs to compete with women is a sexist double standard.

5. rturner76

rturner76 The silent majority needs to wake up Supporter

+1,908
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Green
    So much confusion......They should go by chromosome instead of a genital package comparison. Men produce testosterone it makes you more athletic and they were producing it for decades before he became a she. Unfair testosterone advantage.

Let's just go back to if you are a trans be a drag queen or dancer, not an Olympic athlete. Their body is a hybrid so not of either gender but they are one sex. Go by sex not gender.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  6. Pommer

Pommer Autodidact polymath

+4,303
    United States
    Deist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    Why never a transgender accountant thread?

7. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+18,716
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    I don't believe for one second that you or anybody else expressing similar concern has, as your/their primary motivation, the welfare of athletes and the fairness of their competition. I wish you guys would stop obfuscating your real thoughts and motivations and just say them.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  8. HARK!

+3,753
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    Uh-oh! The thought police are here!

I didn't realize that you were capable of expressing my thoughts better than I.

I beg that you honor us with your gift of telling us what my "real" thoughts are?

How dare I speak for myself!

I thank you for your mercy in not subjecting me to a shout down, for recklessly exercising free speech that contradicts what I was told to think.

9. DerSchweik

DerSchweik Spend time in His Word - every day

+134,039
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Um... hints that an edit is in order. (Just sayin...)

10. rturner76

rturner76 The silent majority needs to wake up Supporter

+1,908
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Green
    Wow 8 "bless and do not curse for saying the nickname for trans people. Very offensive.

11. SilverBear

SilverBear Well-Known Member

+1,931
    Non-Denom
    Widowed
    Rules for transgender athletes have been in place for the Olympics for years. The International Olympic Committee allows transgender female athletes to compete in the Games if they reduce their serum testosterone levels below 1.0 nanomoles per liter for a year and maintain the lower levels during their careers. This level is slightly lower than the average cisgender female Olympic athlete who has a the general testosterone range of 1.2 to 1.79 nanomoles per liter,

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. Ana the Ist

Ana the Ist Aggressively serene!

+7,604
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    I don't like it either but I think it's fair to at least reject athletes taking steroids or hormones.

If they meet that requirement we can place them in one category or the other based on primary sex characteristics. If they wish to be called by a certain pronoun or name...I think those wishes should be respected.

13. Ana the Ist

+7,604
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Fairness of the competition has always been a concern for the Olympics.

The testing for steroids and other enhancing drugs has been extensive and continually updated.

What would the point of that be if not fairness?

14. Aryeh Jay

Aryeh Jay Veteran Supporter

+12,301
    United States
    Married
    My personal feeling is that all genetically and chemically enhanced athletes should compete as the gender the medical personnel assigned them at birth.

15. Ana the Ist

+7,604
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    I'm a bit curious if anyone would be in favor in eliminating the division between athletes entirely.

We could just have women and men competing together....and sure, there probably wouldn't be many non-men on any teams...the exception being sports where one performs a routine or skill like archery, gymnastics, or diving and the permance itself is scored.

16. Ana the Ist

+7,604
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    I suppose this would be an easier conversation if people would just say...

"I hate women's sports and I would like to see them destroyed by allowing men to play
    ."

17. Ana the Ist

+7,604
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    I think the funniest part of this discussion is the side that constantly complains about a "level playing field" whenever the discussion involves economics, or education, or jobs....

Suddenly that side doesn't care at all about a 'level playing field" when we're actually talking about a playing field and fairness.

18. disciple Clint

disciple Clint Well-Known Member

+3,503
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    why would it be unfair to them, they are making a decision that they know has some consequences, why do we need to be unfair to many people to accommodate the options of someone who is making a personal decision.

19. Ana the Ist

+7,604
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    What decision are you referring to here?

Does a trans person have to transition to be considered trans by the Olympics?

20. disciple Clint

disciple Clint Well-Known Member

+3,503
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Now that is an interesting question. I was assuming (and yes I know what happens when we do that) the medical procedure had been done.