Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well Jordan its GD, not GF. But you heard IMO the best Dead song ever. Dark Star.

Before I go off on that I'd like to thanks Oldrooster for starting what will be one of the best threads in the secular music forum!

Back to Dark Star. This song epitomizes the Dead. Jordan, you need to listen to at least 5 versions before you "hear" Dark Star.

Jerry was indescribable on guitar. He was an interesting fellow. There's a book out called "Dark Star," its an oral biography of Jerry Garcia, I recommend it to anyone over 18. It awed and depressed me at the same time. The title is fitting, Jerry was the Dark Star. The humble virtuoso, the leader who wouldn't lead, the lover who wouldn't committ, the free spirit who was imprisoned by heroin....

anyway lets not dwell on the bad stuff, lets celebrate the music of the Grateful Dead!

Upvote 0

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Page 1 of OldRooster's GD thread needs a pic of the man behind it all:
Jerry%20Garcia.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ps139

Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I echo that - Dick's Picks are the way to go. The genius of the Dead was never fully captured in the studio, you really need to listen to shows. The CD Live at the Mars Hotel is also a great one. For Dick's Picks, get anything with Dark Star on it :)

Upvote 0

ps139

Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Ok Lets get this thread rolling! What are your top 5 Dead songs???

1. Dark Star (from Dick's Picks Vol 4) the 4th minute is enough to make this #1
2. China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider
3. Jack Straw
4. Unbroken Chain
5. Scarlet Begonias

runners up: Throwing Stones, Fraklin's Tower, Stagger Lee

Upvote 0

Arwen Undomiel

love one another
Mar 4, 2004
✟17,013.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a movie called Festival Express that opened yesterday. It's old footage of a 1970 train tour of Canada featuring the Dead, Janis Joplin, The Band, Buddy Guy and more. Apparently the footage has been hidden in the Canadian National Archives for 25 years due to a dispute between the promoter and the fimmaker. Check out the website:

http://www.festivalexpress.com

Upvote 0