• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Older Recipes For Pumpkin Pie?

Discussion in 'Cooking and Culinary Arts' started by Phoebe Ann, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Phoebe Ann

Phoebe Ann From Mormonism to Christ Supporter

+9,183
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    I love the recipe on the Libby's can! That's what I had growing up. My friend said she prefers her mother's recipe. Well, I was wondering what that could be. I found this online and wonder if it's like the pie her mom used to make:

Pumpkin Pie Recipe
    The Frugal Housewife, by Susannah Carter, 1803

For common family pumpkin pies, three eggs do very well to a quart of milk. Stew your pumpkin, and strain it through a sieve, or colander. Take out the seeds, and pare the pumpkin or squash, before you stew it; but do not scrape the inside; the part nearest the seed is the sweetest part of the squash.

Stir in the stewed pumpkin, till it is as thick as you can stir it round rapidly and easily. If you want to make your pie richer, make it thinner, and add another egg.

One egg to a quart of milk makes very decent pies.

Sweeten it to your taste, with molasses, or sugar; some pumpkins require more sweetening than others.

Two tea-spoonfuls of salt; two great spoonfuls of sifted cinnamon; one great spoonful of ginger.

Ginger will answer very well alone for spice, if you use enough of it. The outside of a lemon grated in is nice.

The more eggs the better the pie; some put an egg to a gill of milk.
    No Canned Pumpkin Pie Recipe from 1803 – everythingPIES.com

Lemon rind sounds strange.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Phoebe Ann

+9,183
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
  3. Phoebe Ann

+9,183
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
  4. Phoebe Ann

+9,183
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
  5. Norbert L

Norbert L Well-Known Member Supporter

+658
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    You might really enjoy this video, the man specializes in reintroducing very old recipes. He also has a new video about an 1839 recipe for pumpkin pie.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  6. Phoebe Ann

+9,183
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    Thank you so much, Norbert!