Older millennials (late 30s): When did it finally hit you that you're getting older?

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Last week it hit me: I have a favorite brand of dish sponge.

This is not the kind of milestone I could have expected even just a few years ago.

What about the rest of you?

In my 20's I drank coffee because I liked the perk.
I'm 39 now and I drink coffee because my brain doesn't exist in the morning until caffeine.

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sebastian154

Aug 24, 2021
Florida
✟15,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I realized I was old when I went to an Applebee's a few years ago and Rancid was playing on the Muzak station. I immediately ran to the bathroom and found a couple of gray hairs, then a part of me died.

It's not easy realizing that you're old and irrelevant to popular culture. But with the way that popular culture is getting now compared to how it was when we were kids, I think that might be for the best.

For instance: Today I was watching a long collection of Beavis & Butt-head music videos and remembering when they were the "worst thing on TV", pastors were complaining about them; and a clip came up where they started making fun of a Marilyn Manson video and I immediately in my mind shot back to the eight grade when I was put in In School Suspension for reading the Marilyn Manson autobiography during silent reading time: He was every parent's nightmare because of the album "Antichrist Superstar" and now he just seems so tame and even kind of satirical when you go back and watch some of his videos. It makes me remember how my parents used to say when I would listen to him "Oh he's just doing the Alice Cooper gimmick!" and then they ended up exposing me to the "shock rockers" of their age, like Twisted Sister, Alice Cooper, and David Bowie.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I realized I was old when I went to an Applebee's a few years ago and Rancid was playing on the Muzak station. I immediately ran to the bathroom and found a couple of gray hairs, then a part of me died.

It's not easy realizing that you're old and irrelevant to popular culture. But with the way that popular culture is getting now compared to how it was when we were kids, I think that might be for the best.

For instance: Today I was watching a long collection of Beavis & Butt-head music videos and remembering when they were the "worst thing on TV", pastors were complaining about them; and a clip came up where they started making fun of a Marilyn Manson video and I immediately in my mind shot back to the eight grade when I was put in In School Suspension for reading the Marilyn Manson autobiography during silent reading time: He was every parent's nightmare because of the album "Antichrist Superstar" and now he just seems so tame and even kind of satirical when you go back and watch some of his videos. It makes me remember how my parents used to say when I would listen to him "Oh he's just doing the Alice Cooper gimmick!" and then they ended up exposing me to the "shock rockers" of their age, like Twisted Sister, Alice Cooper, and David Bowie.

The Smashing Pumpkins are now “classic rock”. Gack.

• Haha
Reactions: Sebastian154
Upvote 0

Sebastian154

Aug 24, 2021
Florida
✟15,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
The Smashing Pumpkins are now “classic rock”. Gack.

I don't listen to radio, are they being played on the Classic Rock format now? I know that Nirvana and Pearl Jam were last I checked.

I actually saw the Pumpkins live back in 2018. They played for like three and a half hours, best concert I've ever been to and I was in tears almost the entire time like a girl seeing the Beatles during the height of Beatlemania. Their music kept me alive during those awkward and difficult teenage years where you're angry and confused about everything and don't know why. At one point in time, I had every CD that the Pumpkins released including "The Aeroplane Flies High" boxed set with all of the expanded Mellon Collie singles in it, but I let this one senior girl borrow it in High School and I never got it back (I was head over heels in love with her younger sister because she was the school's "alt-girl", but said sister didn't reciprocate that love... that story has a happyish ending though in the years following high school).

I'm sure that if the Pumpkins are played on the Classic Rock format that older Green Day and Rancid probably are as well, and that makes me sadface because it really drives home how old I actually am.

• Agree
Upvote 0