Old Timey hymns? Anyone do them anymore?

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi all, I am just curious if there are any churches or denominations that don't go the rock band route. Was looking for a more traditional, old timey hymn then teaching type of thing. Not so much the drums and guitar and the hand waving kind of thing. Thanks.
Hi Steve,

Our Church absolutely does old-timey hymns. But maybe more old-timey than you mean. :D I think many of our popular ones date from the 500s, but some before.

If you're looking for modern "old hymns" that is probably harder to find. Two places I've heard them over the past 7 years were both Baptist denominations. And I used to belong to a little country Full Gospel church that used them, about 7 years ago. Small congregations out in the country with older members will be most likely to use them.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all, I am just curious if there are any churches or denominations that don't go the rock band route. Was looking for a more traditional, old timey hymn then teaching type of thing. Not so much the drums and guitar and the hand waving kind of thing. Thanks.

We sing plenty of hymns, including even a hymn about 500 years old -- "A Mighty Fortress is my God".

Like a lot of churches, ours (Lutheran) has both 'contemporary' and 'traditional' and additionally is able to often have 'combined' services where both groups come together. But I know at least many other denominations also do the same! It's common.

The 'contemporary' band often sings old songs with new rhythms.

Not only more recent old songs you and I know like Amazing Grace, but they also sing Psalms or parts of Psalms in a more rhythmic way.

Wonderfully, they also sing some truly amazing new songs too. I want you to at least see the first -- how contemporary can be really good. Just for fairness, to get a real sense of the genuine goodness in it. It's important for us all to recognize the valid and good in ways not our own first choice. Here're only 2 of many:

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My Episcopal church uses old-timey hymns as well. Most of them aren't quite as old-timey as Anastasia's church :), but the Baroque and Renaissance eras are well-represented in our music. Even our newer music tends to be written in the style of hymns or chants, rather than rock-band style.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,759.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
No rock band music at my church. Pipe organ, sometimes piano, rarely strings and/or brass. Choir and congregation sing hymns and we sing portions of the mass in chant. As to whether we sing the particular old hymns you harken for, I don't know, but we don't do rock band worship. This is not true of every Catholic church, but ours has a wonderful long term music director and it shows.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do like the solid old, Biblical hymns! :)

Yes, very many of them are very good...however, I have been to the odd church where they are are using a hymnal in which the doctrine may be good, but imo a lot of the melodies are abysmal. I prefer it when there is a mix of more modern ones and old ones. :)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, very many of them are very good...however, I have been to the odd church where they are are using a hymnal in which the doctrine may be good, but imo a lot of the melodies are abysmal. I prefer it when there is a mix of more modern ones and old ones. :)
Sometimes a church sings with an organ or other instrument; and sometimes sings in plainsong. In the end it's the lyrics that count (although having said this, some hard rock tunes have fine, hard hitting Biblical words, but they maybe don't always lend themselves to general congregational singing).

Upvote 0

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes a church sings with an organ or other instrument; and sometimes sings in plainsong. In the end it's the lyrics that count (although having said this, some hard rock tunes have fine, hard hitting Biblical words, but they maybe don't always lend themselves to general congregational singing).
Yes, and of course one doesn't want bad theology being promulgated. I think that a few centuries ago they used to sometimes put hymns to popular folk song music (at least in Britain). Perhaps that made it easier for people (who couldn't read) to pick up the tune.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, and of course one doesn't want bad theology being promulgated. I think that a few centuries ago they used to sometimes put hymns to popular folk song music (at least in Britain). Perhaps that made it easier for people (who couldn't read) to pick up the tune.
I think it was General Booth of the Salvation Army who said: "Why should the devil have all the best tunes?"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So are you into Christian hard rock at all? (e.g., Disciple, etc.)

No,but I do like many types of music, including ones with a rock feel. I even don't mind a bit of rap and I like Calypso, also Hebrew type music. I think it partly depends on what message one wants to put across, or if it's a praise song or more of an instructional one etc. Perhaps also the congregation...if it's one full of 80 or 90 year olds, they certainly may not appreciate a very loud, all-out, blasting away music group!
On one level, if the music/words are glorifying God, then I think anything goes, potentially. However, if the congregation is uncomfortable with it for whatever reason (too loud, too arhythmical or whatever else), then I don't think, however Scriptural the words are, it's not going top be too helpful to them.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No,but I do like many types of music, including ones with a rock feel. I even don't mind a bit of rap and I like Calypso, also Hebrew type music. I think it partly depends on what message one wants to put across, or if it's a praise song or more of an instructional one etc. Perhaps also the congregation...if it's one full of 80 or 90 year olds, they certainly may not appreciate a very loud, all-out, blasting away music group!
On one level, if the music/words are glorifying God, then I think anything goes, potentially. However, if the congregation is uncomfortable with it for whatever reason (too loud, too arhythmical or whatever else), then I don't think, however Scriptural the words are, it's not going top be too helpful to them.
So you can appreciate a very loud hard rock Christian concert AND traditional hymns, then?

Upvote 0

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you can appreciate a very loud hard rock Christian concert AND traditional hymns, then?
I wasn't quite saying that...I certainly wouldn't fancy myself being at a Christian concert filled with hard rock. However, I wouldn't probably mind a little of it.
I used to play in a church music group and we tended to play in the same service a couple of traditional hymns, but also a couple of more modern songs. But it would also depend on the type of service. But we weren't a group that played this very loud, blasting-out stuff as it were. There was a pianist, a couple of guitarists, a violinist sometimes and I played a mandolin. Other services the organist played...and of course, organs tend to be better for the traditional stuff.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't quite saying that...I certainly wouldn't fancy myself being at a Christian concert filled with hard rock. However, I wouldn't probably mind a little of it.
I used to play in a church music group and we tended to play in the same service a couple of traditional hymns, but also a couple of more modern songs. But it would also depend on the type of service. But we weren't a group that played this very loud, blasting-out stuff as it were. There was a pianist, a couple of guitarists, a violinist sometimes and I played a mandolin. Other services the organist played...and of course, organs tend to be better for the traditional stuff.
Sounds like you're quite a musician! :)

Upvote 0