Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
As I understand it, the cupola was an addition often found along rivers in the United States in the early to mid 1800s, for the purpose of observing the river. I grew up on the Mississippi, and there were a number of old houses with such cupolas. I was told that riverboat captains built them for their wives, so that they could see them coming, but I suppose that's just a story.

The house looks kinda Italianate with the flat roof and brackets in the eaves, which would suggest it was built a few decades after that.

But I really don't know much about architectural styles, so that's a guess.

Upvote 0

Davorah

Ora et Labora
Sep 19, 2021
Pacific Northwest
✟17,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As I understand it, the cupola was an addition often found along rivers in the United States in the early to mid 1800s, for the purpose of observing the river. I
Thank you. That's a very interesting history. The fact the roof is flat caught my eye. It rains so much where I live that flat roofs are mostly seen on commercial buildings because of the leak factor. Interesting how different climates allow for such different design.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Just looking at the house through your photo. The house looks to be in really good condition. That would be nice on a long stretch of land, with a long drive way going up to and curving in the front of the house.

It's in old St. Charles, MO, where Lewis and Clark crossed the Missouri at the start of their journey. It's a few blocks from the river, and is no longer a home; several businesses are now occupying the structure. And they did a really nice job of restoring it to its original condition.

There are many other structures like that, restored and occupied retail and other businesses:
51482608692_7758007256_b.jpg

Mrs. Barbarian's image.

Upvote 0